Different mileage service interval for the EU6 engine - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 21:21 Thread Starter

Car: Seat Ibiza
Different mileage service interval for the EU6 engine

I've been having a look at the MG UK website and can't help noticing that whilst previously the EU5 engine had a service interval of 1 year or 15000 miles the EU6 engine needs to be looked at after only 10000 miles.

Does this mean that the new EU6 engine is not as robust as the EU5 one because it has the start/stop mechanism which in turn requires more frequent oil changes?

Service - Owners - EU5 engine

vs.

Service - Owners - EU6 engine

It works out being able to travel 5000 less miles within the year before you need to take the car in for servicing.

Cheers..

Last edited by mattykan; 02-02-2016 at 21:29.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 16:29
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Servicing on a modern engine? Change oil and plugs and anything else the dealer can rip you off for.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 17:12
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
It's most likely down to the oil - they may have changed the spec to reduce friction and improve economy.

Literally just seen the MG ad on Quest (first time in ages!).

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 18:01
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post

Literally just seen the MG ad on Quest (first time in ages!).
Old one or new?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 18:47 Thread Starter

Car: Seat Ibiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
It's most likely down to the oil - they may have changed the spec to reduce friction and improve economy.
You may be right about that or perhaps MG's aim of keeping their costs down didn't allow them to coat the bearings with a low friction coating like polyamide in order to reduce the number of dry starts or prevent problems if you lose oil pressure.

Useful information about coating bearings here:

Engine Bearings Under Pressure - Engine Builder Magazine

Cheers..
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 17:12
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkingdog View Post
Old one or new?
New one with both the MG3 and MG6.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:56

Car: CityRover
Send a message via AIM to Ex-MG Send a message via MSN to Ex-MG
0w20 in the Euro 6
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 17:28
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven211 View Post
0w20 in the Euro 6
What, are you saying it's down to a different spec of oil they use?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
What, are you saying it's down to a different spec of oil they use?
No I'm just stating the oil that it now has. I'm pretty sure the prius uses a similar low friction oil that requires 10k oil changes.

Personally I service my 6 every 10k or just under...I don't personally believe in long life services, I think more regular servicing will make it last longer & perform better.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:50

Car: MG3 Style Lux
Quote:
Personally I service my 6 every 10k or just under...I don't personally believe in long life services, I think more regular servicing will make it last longer & perform better.
Indeed, it's only a difference for those who drive above-average miles - and the last 5,000 miles of that could be pushing it. The worst ones are service intervals "over one year" appearing to save money!

Watch your service calculators are using the correct 10,000 and not the old 15,000!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpending View Post
Indeed, it's only a difference for those who drive above-average miles - and the last 5,000 miles of that could be pushing it. The worst ones are service intervals "over one year" appearing to save money!

Watch your service calculators are using the correct 10,000 and not the old 15,000!
I do at least 20k a year which could soon be going up so I like to keep the car tip top condition!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-02-2016, 14:17

Car: MG TF
Slightly off topic but while looking through the service intervals I noticed the MG6 Diesel at 4 years or 60,000 miles needs its spark plugs changing. Is this a case of some fiendish new spark ignition diesel or MG UK being a bit lacks in their proof reading?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-02-2016, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbob View Post
Slightly off topic but while looking through the service intervals I noticed the MG6 Diesel at 4 years or 60,000 miles needs its spark plugs changing. Is this a case of some fiendish new spark ignition diesel or MG UK being a bit lacks in their proof reading?
Where did you see that? The Diesel doesn't have spark plugs.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 17-02-2016, 17:33
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:

Me too. I go further. I change the oil on most of my cars around 6-7,000 mile intervals which is about half the mileage MG-Rover recommend. Been doing that for over thirty years now. It most certainly is beneficial to engine reliability and longevity. There's a reason why my cars run so well and are reliable. It's not simply luck of the draw.

Mind you, there are those who drive so called superior engineered cars, which are so very reliable, they change the oil every 100,000 miles.... whether it needs it or not ...

Looking over a car for sale as requested by a work colleague, when I asked about an oil change, the vendor told me it's a Honda... they do not need servicing. The car looked superb. Did I recommend my colleague buy the car ... no way! Lifting the bonnet of that car and a few simple checks revealed the disappointing reasons.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 19-02-2016, 11:16

Car: MG TF
Quote:
Where did you see that? The Diesel doesn't have spark plugs.
I know that and you know that but MG haven't figured it out yet.

Go to the link below and expand the MG6 Diesel page

Service - Owners - MG Motor UK Ltd
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 19-02-2016, 22:05

Car: 2 Rover 25 Diesels and Rover 45 Mk2 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Me too. I go further. I change the oil on most of my cars around 6-7,000 mile intervals which is about half the mileage MG-Rover recommend. Been doing that for over thirty years now. It most certainly is beneficial to engine reliability and longevity. There's a reason why my cars run so well and are reliable. It's not simply luck of the draw.

Mind you, there are those who drive so called superior engineered cars, which are so very reliable, they change the oil every 100,000 miles.... whether it needs it or not ...

Looking over a car for sale as requested by a work colleague, when I asked about an oil change, the vendor told me it's a Honda... they do not need servicing. The car looked superb. Did I recommend my colleague buy the car ... no way! Lifting the bonnet of that car and a few simple checks revealed the disappointing reasons.
I look at the evidence.

Prior to 1959 it was given that gearboxes had to run immersed in EP80 or EP90 gear oil. Suddenly the Mini arrived, followed by the 1100/1300 range, 1800 range and finally Maxi. All these cars demonstrated that the gears would run indefinitely immersed in engine oil despite claims otherwise. In 1980 BL suddenly increased service intervals from 6000 miles to 12000 miles on the Maxi, Allegro, Princess, Mini and the metro was launched with 12000 mile service intervals. My Metro HLE did over 220000 miles on 12k service intervals and I had two Maxi 2s on 12k mile oil changes and both fell apart long before the engine or gear box failed.

In 1984 the PG gearbox was introduced running in 10W 40 engine oil and was proven to be very long lived, my dad's 1986 Montego Turbo fell apart at 180000+ miles on the original engine and gearbox and 12k+ mile oil changes.

My latest Fleet of BL related cars using the L series diesel have lasted very well on 12k service intervals, in fact my V reg, currently at 229000, has often been pushed to 15k between oil changes and has suffered no harm. The body will die before the engine. Incidently, I have never changed the oil in the gearbox and on she keeps going.

Oil change intervals is like listening to politicians, trying to separate myth from fact is impossible! Haynes state changing oil at 6k miles will lead to very long engine life, this is true. The problem is that so does changing the oil at 12k miles.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-02-2016, 09:21

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
It has more to do with the quality of the oil - vehicle manufacturers always have to err on the side of caution to allow for some people using cheap, poor quality oils. I recall 1955diesel saying that the oils that he used in testing the engines at Rover were a "worst cas escenario" - ie. pretty poor quality.

A lot of commercial users of vehicles now have the old engine oils tested, and have found that they have been able to extend service intervals by up to 50% in some cases because the oil was still perfectly serviceable beyond the vehicle manufacturers recommended change interval.

The reason for the reduced service interval on the Euro 6 MG3 will almost certainly be down to using a thinner oil, which (whilst improving fuel efficiency and therfore emissions by allowing the engine to turn more easily) will certainly not be able to offer the same protection against wear that the previously recommended oil would do.

Re: the PG1 - Rover initially filled them with 10W40, but subsequent problems and warranty issues led them to change first to a dedicated gear oil, and then to an extended service life gear oil, but still allowing 10W40 to be used for topping up. The biggest killer of gearboxes is lack of oil rather than the grade used though.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-02-2016, 09:56
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
..... The biggest killer of gearboxes is lack of oil rather than the grade used though.
Never a truer word etc...

Two Rover's with known PG1 Gearbox issues I purchased had only an egg cup full of oil when I drained them. For over ten years now, Every used car I buy I drain the gearbox oil to check that it has the correct volume in it!

A third Rover I bought, a 220 Turbo Tomcat came with an 800 Invoice for Gearbox overhaul in the thick wodge of history file. A few weeks into ownership, the first longish high speed Motorway Trip saw first 5th gear lost, then 4th. I got it home in third gear. When I started to remove the gearbox, obviously the first thing I did was drain it to avoid messy spillage... NOTHING CAME OUT! Almost completely dry! Whoever overhauled that box clearly forgot to put the lubricant in!

Toothless 5th and 4th Gears :~

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-02-2016, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbob View Post
I know that and you know that but MG haven't figured it out yet.

Go to the link below and expand the MG6 Diesel page

Service - Owners - MG Motor UK Ltd
Thanks, thats a silly mistake. I will flag it up with MG
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 20-02-2016, 17:54

Car: 2 Rover 25 Diesels and Rover 45 Mk2 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
It has more to do with the quality of the oil - vehicle manufacturers always have to err on the side of caution to allow for some people using cheap, poor quality oils. I recall 1955diesel saying that the oils that he used in testing the engines at Rover were a "worst cas escenario" - ie. pretty poor quality.

A lot of commercial users of vehicles now have the old engine oils tested, and have found that they have been able to extend service intervals by up to 50% in some cases because the oil was still perfectly serviceable beyond the vehicle manufacturers recommended change interval.

The reason for the reduced service interval on the Euro 6 MG3 will almost certainly be down to using a thinner oil, which (whilst improving fuel efficiency and therfore emissions by allowing the engine to turn more easily) will certainly not be able to offer the same protection against wear that the previously recommended oil would do.

Re: the PG1 - Rover initially filled them with 10W40, but subsequent problems and warranty issues led them to change first to a dedicated gear oil, and then to an extended service life gear oil, but still allowing 10W40 to be used for topping up. The biggest killer of gearboxes is lack of oil rather than the grade used though.
Interesting reply. We did the same on industrial gearboxes used on large plastic extruders. I got sick of changing the oil every six months (several gallons) so sent off some samples. The reality turned out to be the oil would last for years.

Re PG1 - My 218 SLD did over 200k on 10W 40 but it was changed because it used to leak. My 229k 25 has never had it changed in my ownership since 69k and has very thin oil in it, presuming that is MTF 94 or what ever is specified. When I did the clutch at around 170k I put the old stuff back in on the grounds I did not expect the car last much longer, I did and has!!

Re oil/no oil. It used to say on Belle Cement mixers life of gearbox without oil 5 minutes life with oil 5 years, or words to that effect. It was to warn you to fill before use.