How do you make a phone call? Is there voice recognition? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 20:14 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135 Sprint, MG3 Style LUX, MG ZS 120
Garages
How do you make a phone call? Is there voice recognition?

Ok, it probably sounds a daft question to some, but I really can't work this out

Does the 3 (Style) have voice recognition for making phone calls? The dealer told me it did, but I can't find anything about it in the manual, or see any way to do it

If it does, how does it work? If not, how do you make an outgoing call? I can't even work out how to view the address book (if you need to?)

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 02:08

Car: 2013 MG 3 VTI Tech Style
I don't believe it has voice recognition at all.

Press the green call key and that brings up options to search phone book via text entry so you start typing the name of the person you want and it brings up matching entries in your phone. Then the right arrow to select which one you wish to call dispalyed on the headunit, then press the green call button again. You will need to sync your phone contacts before you can see your contacts and also depends on whether your phone supports features like phone book syncing.

To be honest in hindsight the ICE integration is pretty rubbish compared to other marques I have used.

Mine had a faulty DAB module which I replaced myself, the USB charges but won't play music from my phone and won't read a USB stick with music on it. Mine also often says no bluetooth audio even though the phone has connected via bluetooth.

So I have to disconnect and power off the stereo and reconnect and usually it will then work, again rather annoying.

The DAB is just a bolt on module rather than being built into the stereo which is a shame considering how bad the early units were and it's made my connects2 not even really by SAIC.

I have recently had issues with DAB reception on mine saying no signal or poor signal all of a sudden when it was working well previously, whether it is a coincidence but this seems to have started after having the car hand washed, so much so that I have reverted back to FM radio.

So I either have another module that is going faulty or there is some water ingress round the aerial base that has caused an issue.

Sadly the ICE could be a lot better and shame it is not as good as the competition that have touch screens, it makes you wonder how bad some of the tech in the Chinese cars are if they don't really offer it in the UK cars. Maybe the GS and new SUV will be better and offer more like the competition.

The 3 does lack sat nav which is also a shame as even a lot of cheap cars come with sat or as an option these days, there is the Chinese Go navigate system but that involves a replacement stereo and I read the unit is not that good to use so again a shame as it could be so much better, and also it's far too pricey in this day and age at over 400.

I hope with the 3 facelift they sort issues like this and improve upon the basis of the car as it's not all bad, the rumoured 1.0t or new 1.5 with 120/125bhp would certainly help the car a lot. With some better attention to detail to the interior and things like sat nav it really would make the car even more attractive.

Although really the 3 is getting a bit old now and will have technically had 2 face lifts since it's launch albeit the first in China only.

The only other niggles so far has been the cruise control stopped working, the only way to get it to work again was by cycling the ignition off and back on.

I have also had a couple of almost non starts on a couple of occasions or it is has taken a little longer to start, but that could just be a battery issue but it has only done it I think 3 times from memory.

It does have it's frustrations sadly but I still like it an enjoy it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 19:08 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcor View Post
I don't believe it has voice recognition at all.

Press the green call key and that brings up options to search phone book via text entry so you start typing the name of the person you want and it brings up matching entries in your phone. Then the right arrow to select which one you wish to call dispalyed on the headunit, then press the green call button again. You will need to sync your phone contacts before you can see your contacts and also depends on whether your phone supports features like phone book syncing........................................... .................................................. .................................

And all that is legal? My God, it's easier to find your contact on your iPhone, press and then it connects........but that is illegal!

My Hyundai was easy. Press the button on the steering wheel, say 'call Fred' (or whoever) and it calls them. Simples.

My dealer told me it has voice recognition when I asked, so I'm a bit annoyed that it doesn't. I guess I'll just have to get used to the way it works and live with it. Thankfully, I very rarely make a call from the car as I try not to unless it's something urgent. I'm more likely to receive a call, so I guess that's just a case of pressing the green button to receive and red button to end

There really should be better instructions in the hand book ! Thanks for helping me on this

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 18:48 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Well, I now have voice activated hands free phone calls.
Nothing to do with the car other than the bluetooth connection. I'm sure that some will already know, but you can use voice control on your smart phone to make a hands free connection

My iPhone wasn't set up for it, but is now, so I just say 'hey Siri', then 'call the wife' or whoever and hey presto!

You do have to shout it a little so it picks up over the engine/road noise, but it works
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 19:56

Car: 2013 MG 3 VTI Tech Style
Glad you got it working. It's not voice activation with the car but if it works well then excellent. They really shouldn't have told you it had voice activation built in though.
I didn't actually think about using Siri in your case and think I can use OK Google on my phone to do the same.