MG3 - comfort dampers/springs - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Badgertone

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 16:05 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
MG3 - comfort dampers/springs

Now that the MG3 is a couple of years into production, has anyone attempted the unusual step of changing suspension springs/dampers?

Wife has an MG3 - I get to drive it occasionally. Excellent bit of kit (for the price and also in it's own right). My only issue is the harsh/sporty ride (I drive a Rover 45 and have previously run Rover 75s). It's also an age thing too - I prefer supple ride quality

2 or 3 year old MG3s represent excellent value and would be worth outlay, plus say 500 to fit 'comfort' springs/dampers (if they are available and if they have been successfully tried out)

Has anyone done this 'upgrade' (depending on your point of view!?). I would be very interested in your comments and views here. It would be good to look at the options, especially because the MG3 ticks so many other boxes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 20:09

Car: TF135, MG3, MG6 GT TSE
You sound as if you are expecting people to disagree with you! To be honest, I find the MG3's ride absolutely fine. I wouldn't change a thing about that aspect of the car.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 19-10-2016, 16:49 Thread Starter

Thanks. Compared with Rover 45 the MG3 does crash about a bit - this is fun at times (and no doubts about excellent handling and steering) however on a personal note for me I am sure I would find this uncomfortable for longer trips. I think that the MG3 is an excellent package and very good value. It does become horses for courses, but I would be interested to know whether anyone has played with springs/dampers just to see what is possible

I have spotted coilovers - I donlt know too much about these but assume that any adjustments would take ride from hard to very hard and then extremely harsh?

I m sure that I read somewhere that there were supension changes for the UK market (I don't know whether or not the China market models were perhaps set up differently - maybe with a softer ride quality)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-10-2016, 11:52

Car: MG3 Style Lux
I know that people on Facebook are looking into the usual things to give sportier ride and performance. In my Style Lux (16" wheels) I find the ride nicely balanced between comfort and sport - it's far less harsh than my previous 180 but handles brilliantly. And although my mileage is low it does include Germany and back.

I know people have put 17" wheels on the 3 so that it looks more to their taste.

The reason people change springs/dampers is almost always for a harder ride.

For a softer ride, the first thing to look at is surely smaller wheels/ higher-profile tyres. Only maybe 10% or less of all UK 3s seem to be Time or Form with the 14" steel wheels, so chances are that the 3 you know is a Form Sport or Style with 16" alloys. I'd investigate getting one with 14" steels or swapping some onto one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-10-2016, 12:41 Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. As you say, most folks interested in spring/damper improvements will be looking for a harsher ride quality.

The MG3 that I have driven is indeed a Style (with 16 inch wheels)

Good suggestion to try a Time/Form with 14 inch steel wheels just to see if I can compare ride quality. There are a couple of Time spec cars advertised so this could be a good starting point

I really do like the MG3 on many levels - good, honest, under-rated fun car with many redeeming features

cheers
patpending likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-10-2016, 12:41

Car: MG ZS180 :D
I can't imagine the suspension would have drastically changed from the zr etc?
So maybe look into some std dampers from a rover 25?

Sent from Drew @ Roverdose
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-10-2016, 12:44 Thread Starter

Cheers. Good suggestion that I can put to the dealer to check specs etc (both dampers and springs)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-10-2016, 20:22
gots me a pair o' MGs

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdose View Post
I can't imagine the suspension would have drastically changed from the zr etc?
So maybe look into some std dampers from a rover 25?
The cars are completely unrelated so you may as well look at the Fiesta, Corsa etal.

The MG3 shares its underpinnings with the Chinese-market Roewe 350 saloon which I imagine would have a softer set up.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-10-2016, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
The MG3 shares its underpinnings with the Chinese-market Roewe 350 saloon
is that true? certainly the two cars are technically two very different animals, the MGs related very closely to 350 are MG5 hatch and MG GT/ MG5 saloon which all have the fuel filler on the left...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-10-2016, 10:00

Car: Seat Ibiza
Isn't the MG3 a Nanjing design?

I think that I read somewhere that the MG3 was a Nanjing design pre-merger with SAIC so it wouldn't surprise me if there is no connection with this car and the Roewe designs.

Edit:

According to SAICMG the car is a British design:

http://classic.saicmg.com/english/mg3/product/

Cheers..
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-10-2016, 21:15

Car: Seat Ibiza
Design of the MG3 - uses the same platform as with Roewe 350

Roewe 350

The initial concept for a new vehicle platform from which two smaller vehicles would be created was commenced in the UK in 2006. Once complete, workload considerations dictated that the vehicle engineering for the larger of these two vehicles was transferred to an engineering team at SsangYong in Korea and the key engineering link became Korea to China once the engineering had been securely handed over. The second of these two smaller vehicles - MG3 - remained UK responsibility.

Source URL:

SMTC UK | Roewe 350

MG3 was first announced in China at the Beijing Motor Show in April 2010 under the guise of the MG Zero Concept Car. The design of both the Concept car and the MG3 production model was under the leadership of the SMTC UK Design team. The production MG3 was unveiled at the Guangzhou Motor Show in December 2010 for sale in China in Spring 2011. It was the second all-new vehicle designed and engineered by SMTC UK. Based on an all-new platform, the vehicle was concept engineered to be fully EU compliant and fully competitive in both the Chinese and EU markets. The engineering was the responsibility of SMTC UK for about two years before transfer to China to be productionised.

The initial work to investigate a full EU specification version is in progress.

Source URL:

SMTC UK | MG3

Cheers..
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattykan View Post
I think that I read somewhere that the MG3 was a Nanjing design pre-merger with SAIC so it wouldn't surprise me if there is no connection with this car and the Roewe designs.

Edit:

According to SAICMG the car is a British design:

http://classic.saicmg.com/english/mg3/product/

Cheers..
1) MG3SW was a Nanjing design, but we all knew what it was!

I note that XROSS is now referred to as MG3SW so there is a new generation carrying the name.

2) All SAIC own-brand MGs and Roewes are British designs from Longbridge in partnership with China.

In summary, I believe there is currently no Roewe which shares its exact underpinnings with MG3. If it's the same platform, why does 350 have its fuel filler on the left like 5 and GT and 3 have its fuel filler on the right?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:01

Car: CityRover
It's already been said but, I agree, wouldn't trying higher profile tyres seem better? I can't imagine any work on the suspension will be cheap. While the MG3 is certainly a little more sporty, I can't say I've had any problems with the comfort. It's not perfect, but it's perfectly enjoyable.

Of course, if you have the 16 inch wheels, I wouldn't drop too far down below this. Only to 15 if possible. I know some MG's have 14 inch wheels (which is what I'm familiar with) but I don't know about the size of the brakes on the larger model? Is it just the same or are the brakes bigger as well?