MGOC Review of the 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 18:05 Thread Starter
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
MGOC Review of the 3

Not exactly a glowing report. Although they try to be positive about the car it seems to contradict most of them. The most worrying for me would be the timing chain jumping a cog and the difficulty in obtaining parts. To be honest it wouldn’t encourage me to buy one yet.
Anyone else read it yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 19:13

Car: MG 6 Magnette
It's nothing that hasn't been known about for ages really. It's just certain sectors of the scene would scream blue murder at you if you talked about it.
Sadly it seems MG have managed to make another second rate car.
Has anyone started discussing the gearbox in the GS and its problems?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 21:04

Car: CityRover
Anyone have a link to the review?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 21:19

Car: MG 6 GT
Did anyone else read the Australian review which reckons the engine in the 3 is the worst in any car on sale today?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 21:31

Funnily enough, I found the Australian one when I was searching for the MGOC one.

MG? More like My God?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:12

Car: MG ZS 120+ , MG ZR TD, MG TF 135 and MG3 Style.
This is just another reviewers opinion. It is far more accurate to ask existing owners what their impression are.

I have owned mine for almost 2 years and haven't had a single issue with it.

It isn't a class leader and yes some areas could be better but lets not forget that this is SAIC's first attempt at an all new car.....most of the others have some MG-Rover DNA.

You really can't knock them at the price and standard spec. I have a brand new Corsa 1.4 as a company car and although the Corsa is better in some areas it is also not as well specced and almost 2k dearer than the 3.

Most of these cars are still under warranty so obtaining parts shouldn't really be an issue.

I have never understood the comments about the engine. Again this is a first attempt and probably never intended for the UK. I don't find it noisy or slow at all. Yes it needs to be worked but don't all small engines? I personally think it is better on the motorway than in town. A Turbo would be a nice option.

The car itself is around 5 years old so is probably due for replacement. It is quite understandable for it to now starting to fall behind new cars.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 13:24

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
Most of these cars are still under warranty so obtaining parts shouldn't really be an issue.
Agreed that obtaining parts SHOULDN'T be an issue, however in reality IT IS. I have been in my local dealers this morning and they confirmed this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 15:27 Thread Starter
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Australian reviews can be quite forthright and blunt. That said the review in Enjoying MG was from owners. As a side note the 3 has only been with us for 3 years, how many have I seen on the road? 3.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNorman View Post
Agreed that obtaining parts SHOULDN'T be an issue, however in reality IT IS. I have been in my local dealers this morning and they confirmed this.
Which Dealer and which parts are you in need of??

If they cannot provide parts for a repair under warranty then they should provide a courtesy car of the same spec or replace the car.

By the way there really is no need to shout!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 19:02

I see this review has been posted to another forum. It does not make encouraging reading when a noted MG enthusiast reports that his experience has deterred him from entertaining the brand any longer.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 21:28

Link please?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:03

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:23

Maybe he just got a bad one....there are always 'Friday afternoon' cars.

From the tone of the article though I kind of got the impression that he didn't really like it from day 1.

As I said earlier I have not had a single issue with mine.

I wouldn't take any notice of that particular website either as they just do not like 'New' MG at all.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:02

Quote:
I wouldn't take any notice of that particular website either as they just do not like 'New' MG at all.
But the article is from MGOC and published in their club magazine. The article did not originate from 'that' website as far as I can see.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNorman View Post
But the article is from MGOC and published in their club magazine. The article did not originate from 'that' website as far as I can see.
I didn't say it did but having read the comments on the thread I thought I would point it out.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:24

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Quote:
I didn't say it did but having read the comments on the thread I thought I would point it out.
You are wasting your time debating with the above. They are from 'that' forum, coming on here for one reason to rubbish the new company and cars at every opportunity, hiding their identities behind multiple user names on here
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
You are wasting your time debating with the above. They are from 'that' forum, coming on here for one reason to rubbish the new company and cars at every opportunity, hiding their identities behind multiple user names on here
You are probably right. I see no reason for them to do it really. They obviously have nothing better to do.

I guess it is just a sign of the times with this forum. Wasn't like this at all when I joined 15 years ago.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 10:04

I have known Martin, who wrote that article, for a number of years (probably around 16), and it would take something pretty major for him to walk away from the marque. He is a genuinely nice guy, and very knowledgeable.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:10

Martin Williamson has been a significant, active MG enthusiast for all of his adult life and was a real brand ambassador for the new company.
The new company has no loyalty towards such enthusiasts which is graphically illustrated in their treatment of people such as Martin and not least in their dreadful, despicable treatment of Ian Pogson.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 12:06

This, Perry, is so true, although saying such things, which despite being correct, will lead some on here to label you as a hater of the new company.