My new MG3 (new to me) - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 13:10 Thread Starter

Car: 2013 MG 3 VTI Tech Style
My new MG3 (new to me)

OK its not a brand new car but a 63 plate with 23k miles on it. Just under £5k and to say o was impressed with it more than I thought I would be as I was previously looking at a 6 TSE for around the same price.

Pick it up on Thursday all being well, a 3 year old car for £5k with low miles on it.

Time will tell if it was the right choice but nothing really touches it for the price and age mileage.

Will post some ownership experience as I go along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 16:35
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Good luck with it. Do post about it...
simcor likes this.

gnu
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 22:01 Thread Starter

I shall be back posting here about it don't worry good and bad if there is either. Looking forward to being back in a car with an MG badge, just for those who insist it's not a proper MG.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 22:44 Thread Starter

My first impressions exceeded my expectations but maybe that is lastly because I had already told myself I was now looking at a car which costs £10k new not £20k so you have to lower your expectations somewhat.
Having said that I was more pleasantly surprised at how good it felt, and also the engine I don't think is that bad that it get grief for. Yes it needs to be worked a little harder being a Nasp engine but around town it felt lively enough. Living with it on a daily basis and we will see how it fares.
Kit wise you can't fault it at all I don't think, and even though red isn't my favourite colour I actually like it more in the metal.
Overall impressions are good, if it serves me well I will be a happy bunny.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 23-01-2017, 10:19

Car: MG TF
Wifeís had hers for 18 months and loves it. I think itís important, as you have, to compare these cars with cars in a similar price range. I drove her car recently having not driven it for some time and it feels much livelier than it did when she first got it.

I wouldnít expect the same MPG you get from the Focus if you drive them the same but you also donít have things such as a turbo, ERG valve and cambelts to worry about.

I hope you enjoy it, I think these are underrated cars
simcor likes this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 23-01-2017, 13:46 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbob View Post
Wifeís had hers for 18 months and loves it. I think itís important, as you have, to compare these cars with cars in a similar price range. I drove her car recently having not driven it for some time and it feels much livelier than it did when she first got it.

I wouldnít expect the same MPG you get from the Focus if you drive them the same but you also donít have things such as a turbo, ERG valve and cambelts to worry about.

I hope you enjoy it, I think these are underrated cars
Exactly you have to compare it like for like, the Focus only manages 42 on average from a diesel sometimes 47 in the summer so if I manage even late 30's I wont mind.

I have had a lot of trouble with the Focus over the 2.5 years I have owned it, but it is now a 10 year old car.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 26-01-2017, 13:00 Thread Starter

Picking my new car up very soon, looking forward to it.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 26-01-2017, 19:15 Thread Starter

Well I have picked the car up today. All in all happy with it. Couple of minor points though.
DAB radio doesn't seem to want to find any stations. Have read of other owners with problems with DAB. Probably guessing the module behind the dashboard is the culprit.
Also I notice at low speeds it does feel a little jerky as if I can't drive but maybe that's just me getting used to it as my previous car was a diesel.

Only done a few miles to work from picking it up but the on board is showing 37 to he gallon. Will see how it goes and see what it has actually done when I fill up again and work it out properly.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 17:41 Thread Starter

DAB still wont find any stations sadly, so that will need fixing along the way. That is annoying with a 3 year old car, it really should be working and not packed up within 3 years, although I suspect it's been like that since new and just never used by the previous owner.

Washer jets now work properly after untrapping the washer pipe hose between the scuttle panel.

The little over rev in between 1st and 2nd is annoying, however if on a hill it does not do it, also if you change gear slower it seems better. Engine wise I think it's a lot better than the journos give it credit for. Around town it is fine for bumbling around as long as your in an appropriate gear for the terrain and speed. However if you use the revs I think it's a fun drive and quite spirited. Way better than the 1.4 Corsa hire car I had recently that really was gutless as hell, I think that was about 70 or 80 odd bhp that really was crying out for a turbo on it.

Road noise I think is generally very good, again wind noise can't really complain, road noise can get a bit harsh on bad road surfaces but a decent road surface and it's pretty good.

I find the drive a little bumpy but that is to be expected with it being tuned for a slightly harder ride to give it a sporty feel, although some speed bumps are awful in it, so speed bumps need approaching with real care for the sharp nasty ones. Chucked it round some lanes and it certainly feels better than any small car I have driven of late, feels really quite chuckable into the bends.

Put some anti fog on the windows and that seems to have helped with the windows misting up also stuck some Rain X repellent on the outsides of the windows.

Bought a second hand alloy wheel of ebay for £65, has some laquer damage but may get it refurbed at some point, but it is purely for a spare wheel so may just use it as is, even a corroded alloy is going to look better than a steel wheel on the car, after all it will only be a spare. Hopefully the jack out of my ZTT which I really need to get shot of will do for the 3 then all I need is a wheel brace and socket and I will have a complete kit for changing the wheel, sod the gunk and compressor I want to be abel to get the wheel changed ASAP and get on my way again and sort the tyre out when I have time.

I love all the toys it has on it to be honest and for the money even new I don't think a lot of small cars can beat it for spec and value and possibly even drive.

The more I drive it the more I really like it, I think it gelling with me better each time I go out in it, once up to temp i did use the rev range and it shifts when you need it too for a little 1.4 engine, I say 1.4 as it's displacement is 1408 i think so it's not even a 1.5.

Overall verdict, go a nd try one, be realistic about it's price and what you expect for that price and what else you could buy for that price and I find it hard to not justify all it's minor shortcomings.

One last word on it, it needs a Turbo version, that would really help with not only economy but probably also emissions slightly and possibly tax as well as a turbo engine is more efficient.

If they shoehorned the 1.5 turbo that is supposed to be going into the compact SUV it would be a proper little hot hatch in my opinion with around 140bhp.

Thats it for now I think. Still showing 35 mpg so far and that was with some spirited high revving action too so indications are looking good.

Ordering mats for it as it doesn't have any and think i will put mudflaps on it too. Oh and hopefully fix the DAB issue.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 18:17

Car: Rover 45
Reply to Simcor

The car has a 1.5 engine in it ,not a 1.4.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 18:36 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaveabbott View Post
The car has a 1.5 engine in it ,not a 1.4.
Just double checked and your right its 1498 not sure where I thought I read it as 1408 so it is indeed a 1.5.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 19:43
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Glad you are happy with it. Shame about the DAB - is it a cheap fix if it's a known problem? Post some pics

gnu
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 20:30 Thread Starter

Until I can get some radio keys to extract the radio and check the connections there forst, then consider checking the coax cables on the aerial, I think it has one for FM and one for DAB so the feeds are seperate, which would explain why FM works but DAB not, otherwise it is most likely to be the DAB module somewhere in the dash, but where that is and how hard to get to I don't know.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 20:53 Thread Starter

Dealer photo's and a terrible quick picture I took at work last night.

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 21:10 Thread Starter

Matching tool chest with some organisation.

It even matches my tool chest lol

Admittedly the diagnostics equipment I have isn't that much use now as I have a Ford VCM and Ford IDS, An ELM327 modified for HS and MS can networks with Elmconfig and Forscan and also Op-com for Vauxhalls but nothing for the 3 other than a generic handheld scanner for EOBD.

Although I do hope to not be using them as much on my new car now, the Focus was constantly needing something doing to it hence buying the tool chest to organise my tools.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 21:31 Thread Starter

Bought some car mats for it off ebay and also a spare alloy for a spare wheel, it has some corrosion on the lacquer but will be fine for a spare rather than having a steel wheel on it as needed.

But I may see about getting it refurbished at some point.

Just need a jack and wheel brace now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1911848688...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2822697433...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oh and I need to hardwire my dashcam back in to the 3 as I had it done in the Focus rather than take up the 12v accessory socket.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 28-01-2017, 08:01
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Yeah, hopefully you wont be needing those tools for a while.

Red, black diamond cuts

gnu
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 28-01-2017, 20:10 Thread Starter

Very sad to say car has picked up some damage already, gutted isn't the word. Rear bumper left hand side just above the reflector. Pain't missing by the looks of it and I am 100% certain it wasn't there this morning and I am pretty sure I have not hit anything, it's got reverse sensors for goodness sake and I would know if I had bumped something.

Other than being parked at work where I would have also seen it because everyone has looked around it at work, where it is parked at home no one can hit the back, at my mum's it was parked on her drive, we went out to Tesco in it and Currys, at Currys I backed into a space with no spaces behind my car, the only place could have been Tesco's where there was a space behind my car, it was only on getting back to my mums and deciding to wash it that i noticed the damage.

Last edited by simcor; 28-01-2017 at 20:22.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 28-01-2017, 21:15 Thread Starter

I also can't play music from a USB memory stick either in the car, I have tried Fat/Fat32 and NTFS formatting and they are all MP3 files on them and I can't even select the USB input.

I wonder if the DAB and the USB are both controlled by the DAB module in the dashboard?

That is really annoying or if it isn't the module could it be the radio itself that is faulty?
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 29-01-2017, 07:39
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Can you just change the sound system in the car to something better? Or is it integrated to the satnav and other stuff?

gnu