New MG3 owner with a reversing issue! - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 26-11-2016, 14:50 Thread Starter

Car: MGF Trophy 160 - Trophy Blue
New MG3 owner with a reversing issue!

Hi guys!

Has been some time since I've been on this forum due to letting my MGF Trophy 160 go a couple of years ago.

I decided to jump back into MG ownership with a brand new MG3 Style in October.

Pretty pleased with it up until a couple of weeks ago when the engine just decided to cut out when reversing. Initially, I thought it was my error first time it occurred with it being a new car. Has since happened another 5 times over the past week.

It's not as though it has stalled, if anything it's more like the energy saving feature kicks in as it's very smooth and subtle. So subtle, initially I wasn't aware it had cut out until all the dials dropped and the car clearly wasn't moving. The engine starts again once I put my foot on the clutch as though the energy saving feature had been on. It also doesn't happen everytime. Some days it doesn't happen at all when reversing. Really odd! Reversing sensors etc all seem to be working fine as well and I always hear the initial beep beforehand.

It's now booked into a main dealer in Bristol to be checked over next week but just intrigued to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar as dealers appeared baffled when I explained it to them.

Any info/suggestions would be fab!

Thanks guys!

Krissy

Last edited by krissye86; 26-11-2016 at 15:40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-01-2017, 19:42 Thread Starter

Just an update on my random MG3 issue:

I picked the car up from main dealer in Bristol. I was told they couldn't find the problem with the fault (what I expected!)
I was told the fault had been noted and just to keep a record of the amount of times it occurred.

My 3 did the exact same thing that same night and so I decided to switch the Eco start/stop off as I felt like this was what was happening when putting it into reverse.

Since then, the Eco start/stop has been on and all has been fine for 2 months (hoooray!)....until first thing this morning.

I started to drive out of the road I live in and turned left. With that, my car went into a limp type mode (very similar to Eco start/stop mode and reversing issue), the power steering had gone - pretty lethal, even more so when turning a corner!!
I had to switch the ignition off and on again to get the car started - this hasn't happened again since but still very concerning.

I've also had to have a door seal membrane resealed and yet continue to suffer from condensation and ice on the inside of the windscreen.

I'm also not convinced the clutch is right. When changing up and down gears, if the speed is relatively low, the gear change is very smooth as I remember when test driving the car. I'm now noticing more and more that when pushing the clutch in to change gear, I can feel a slightly grind/rub type of feeling via the pedal. It's more common when revs are higher and changing between 3rd/4th/5th. When releasing the clutch, it also feels like a slight elastic type stretching feeling through the pedal again. It's so hard to describe in words but does anyone have any experience of this? Is the clutch quite a rough sensation when pushing it in and releasing it, especially at higher revs?
I recall the clutch being so smooth on the 3 in comparison to my partners Fiesta Ecoboost and now the highlighted feeling is making me cringe.
Gear changes seem fine though. No crunching/grinding etc.

I have wanted an MG3 since they were first released after owning a lovely MGF Trophy beforehand and now that I have one, I just feel like I'm waiting for something else to go wrong. Feeling very disappointed and worried when the engine decides to just stop and drops the power steering for absolutely no reason.

If anyone has had any experiences similar to mine, I'd love to hear from you.

I have tried to look on the internet for MG3 issues and feeling very alone with regards to mine. I don't have much faith in the dealer sorting it either considering last time I was told they couldn't fix it unless they see it, yet I have to put up with these random and very dangerous faults that may only occur once or twice a week and unlikely to be seen by them.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Krissy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-01-2017, 11:30

Car: 04 75 CDTi 130k, R45 1.6, 90k miles, 54 plate. MGF VVC, 96k miles, '96. 02 plate Peugeot 206, 67k
Hi Krissy
Can't help with your issue, but which dealer did you go to?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-01-2017, 12:39 Thread Starter

Roadworthy in Fishponds, Bristol.

Reversing issue started again this morning.

It's driving me absolutely mental!

I just want it all fixed so I can actually start enjoying my 3!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 28-01-2017, 08:09
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Bad luck with that. I guess it's still under warranty so your only option is to keep nagging the dealer. Roadworthy? I've looked at the MG's on their forecourt. Let us know if they can sort it.

gnu
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 17:48

Car: MG 6 Magnette
It could be a timing issue. These engines stretch the camchain at suprisingly low miles and give all sorts of problems then.