Steves MG3 update thread - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 00:23 Thread Starter

Car: A White MG3, a 95' BRG MGF and a Nocturne ZS180 and an MG Maestro Race Car
Steves MG3 update thread

Hi, just thought I'd give a quick update on how my MG3 is going.
2 months since collection and now 1500miles on the clock.

First of all the important bits -
Everything's still working as it should and its turned out to be as good as I hoped and better than I thought it actually would be.
After about 1000 miles the engine has really started to loosen up a bit. It's much more responsive than it initially felt and the MPG is increasing. Started at around 34 around town and is now showing 37. The engine and exhaust note has improved when pushing past the 4000rpm.

Two complaints- one is an issue that has been previously mentioned on another thread which is the "over-rev" when shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. It's really annoying and hard to get used to. Only seems to do it when driving normally. If pushed past the 3800rpm mark when pulling away then it doesn't do it but this isn't good practice when starting from a cold start. Hopefully MG will eliminate this which a software upgrade if enough owners feel the same.

The other issue is that my grab handles aren't "damped" as per the brochure. Mine are just sprung loaded. This is being looked into by the powered to be as we speak. Anyone else noticed this?

More updates to come as we romp into 3000miles.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 00:36

Car: MG3 Style
The over rev can be annoying but I think I am pretty used to it now. Cant say I have noticed the grab handles, but I assume they would all be the same. Will try and remember and check tomorrow. Although in all honesty, in ever car I have ever owned, I have never seen the need to use a grab handle! lol
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 18:20

Car: Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI
I'm finding with the over-rev that it doesn't do it if you barely touch the throttle in first, or completely hammer it as you say. Anything in between and it insists on revving up to nearly 3k rpm.

I'm finding it does it just as I'm pressing down the clutch pedal, so the engine has less resistance and is free to spin up a bit faster, so I'm trying to minimise my throttle input when pulling away now. It is a bit annoying as you say, and it will be interesting to see if anything can be done about it.

As with Algo, I haven't noticed anything wrong with the grab handles. They never get used anyway!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 20:31

Car: MG3 Form Sport
I haven't had and sign of the over-rev problem, although I am still within th 900 mile running in period, so I'm avoiding pushing her hard. I had an MG6 courtesy car for 11 days before collecting my MG3 and that did it numerous times. Was glad to get my well behaved MG3. She has hardly been any trouble.

My little problem with my MG3 is the central locking. The drivers door doesn't always open with the remote while all the rest do. It needs the key in the lock to unlock more than half the time. Hopefully MG will sort it when she goes in on the 10th January to be checked. This is my first car with central locking, so it isn't much of a problem, except at 7.15 in the morning in a pitch black garage

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 22:09

Car: TF135, MG3, MG6 GT TSE
My feelings are very similar to Ben's. I noticed the "over-revving" when I test drove the car, and with our car, too. But I think I've learned to circumvent it, without thinking about it. I didn't even know there were grab handles - I'll have a gander tomorrow.

I've had the cruise control working, and it seems pretty good. I thought it might struggle up long M-way hills. The proof of that pudding will be climbing up towards Yorkshire on the M62, which we haven't done yet. I used to have a Volvo 345 automatic, and found it would JUST hold 70 up that hill, with nothing to spare. Cars are more powerful these days, and I expect the 3 will be OK.

I found the operation of the door handles a bit puzzling for a while, but now I know what to expect.

It's a jolly nice car. My gripe is that there's only one remote key/fob (plus a further ordinary key). SWMBO and I will just have to share.

Last edited by G0MRL; 12-12-2013 at 22:11. Reason: usual mistakes!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-12-2013, 08:18

Car: Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI
I think the revving is just a quirk of the car. The clutch and throttle are so much lighter than in my old car it takes a bit of getting used to.

I think I'm getting there with it now, as I barely done it on my commute this morning!

Last edited by Ben Richards; 13-12-2013 at 08:27.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-12-2013, 08:34

Car: MG TF
Send a message via MSN to H Musgrove
It sounds like a ECU mapping glitch.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-12-2013, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithEH View Post
I haven't had and sign of the over-rev problem, although I am still within th 900 mile running in period, so I'm avoiding pushing her hard. I had an MG6 courtesy car for 11 days before collecting my MG3 and that did it numerous times. Was glad to get my well behaved MG3. She has hardly been any trouble.

My little problem with my MG3 is the central locking. The drivers door doesn't always open with the remote while all the rest do. It needs the key in the lock to unlock more than half the time. Hopefully MG will sort it when she goes in on the 10th January to be checked. This is my first car with central locking, so it isn't much of a problem, except at 7.15 in the morning in a pitch black garage

Lovely looking motor! Let us know how you get on with the central locking, something definitely not right there.

I checked my grab handles and they are spring loaded, didn't realise they weren't supposed to be, but as said previously I never use them anyway.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 24-03-2014, 23:15 Thread Starter

Ok, now upto 3600 miles and still loving this car. No issues to speak of, the over-rev thing is still annoying me at times but now I'm driving it a bit harder it doesn't show up that often anymore.
The 'damped' Grab Handles were only fitted to the press cars so that why none of us have them, also found out that mine is a Chinese Built Car rather than Longbridge assembled car.
Planning on taking it to the Pride of Longbridge this year (haven't been for a few years) and then planning a Track Day at Brands at some point now the engine's freed up a bit.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 24-03-2014, 23:46

Car: MG Montego, MG Metro Mk1, MG ZR-Express Mk2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZT190 View Post
Ok, now upto 3600 miles and still loving this car. No issues to speak of, the over-rev thing is still annoying me at times but now I'm driving it a bit harder it doesn't show up that often anymore.
The 'damped' Grab Handles were only fitted to the press cars so that why none of us have them, also found out that mine is a Chinese Built Car rather than Longbridge assembled car.
Planning on taking it to the Pride of Longbridge this year (haven't been for a few years) and then planning a Track Day at Brands at some point now the engine's freed up a bit.
I thought all the UK cars were Longbridge assembled?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 25-03-2014, 00:01

Car: CityRover
Nope. I think all of the first batch came from China.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 25-03-2014, 07:38

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZT190 View Post
Good to hear that its going well mate.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 25-03-2014, 09:31

Car: Jaguar F-Type Coupe, Range Rover Evoque, 1967 MG 1100 & 1966 MGB GT
To avoid the over-rev, just make sure you take your foot right off the clutch so the [1] is showing on the dash and then change into second, it will avoid the over-rev. The switch on the clutch can be adjusted apparently so that it is set to go out a little further down so that you don't need to lift your foot off the clutch completely as in normal driving in first, as you say, you don't want to be hammering it. The over-rev happens when the switch is still engaged hence needing to take your foot right off the clutch before it back on to change into second gear.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 25-03-2014, 09:37

Car: MG ZT 1.8T , MG3 Style lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0MRL View Post
My gripe is that there's only one remote key/fob (plus a further ordinary key). SWMBO and I will just have to share.
This!

Frustrating that you only get one remote key fob.
We got 2 spare ordinary keys with ours.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 25-03-2014, 10:28

Car: '13 BMW 125i M Sport
Send a message via MSN to JoeyTaffy93
Glad to hear it's going alright. It's a cracking looking motor.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 25-03-2014, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin 75 View Post
To avoid the over-rev, just make sure you take your foot right off the clutch so the [1] is showing on the dash and then change into second, it will avoid the over-rev. The switch on the clutch can be adjusted apparently so that it is set to go out a little further down so that you don't need to lift your foot off the clutch completely as in normal driving in first, as you say, you don't want to be hammering it. The over-rev happens when the switch is still engaged hence needing to take your foot right off the clutch before it back on to change into second gear.
Sound advice, after you mentioned it elsewhere I tried it and it works. Thanks for the tip
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 26-03-2014, 19:48 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMandersand View Post
Nope. I think all of the first batch came from China.
On our recent visit to Longbridge i was told that 25% of MG3 still come into the country fully assembled with remainder coming through in kit form.

Just tried the Clutch/gear change thing and it worked so thanks for that!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-03-2014, 22:13

Car: TF135, MG3, MG6 GT TSE
If it's a switch on the clutch travel, why does it only happen between 1st and 2nd? I've never noticed it on other changes. I'll certainly give it a go.

I've found that if you release the accelerator a split second before depressing the clutch, the over-revving doesn't happen. But it does slow the gear change, though. I suppose lifting your foot off the clutch will also slow things down.

I'd love to know what this setting (if that's what it is) is supposed to achieve. And why doesn't it happen between the other gears?
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 25-09-2014, 22:13 Thread Starter

New Upate

Ok, thought it was time for an update... it's been a while!
Just about to hit 8000 miles and 3 weeks away from its first year service!
Still no issues, still rattle free.
Nice and free revving now its done a good few miles, still havent had a chance to get it out on a proper track day yet as racing a Maestro has taken a lot of my time up recently.
Had a chance to do a couple of laps of Brands Hatch a few months back and it seems it could be quite a good little track toy.
A couple of points - the ipod control isn't that great imho but its the first car i've tried that's had it anyway so they could all be the same, or worse i guess? Anyone else thought it was a bit poor?
Also my Dad has just collected his new MG3 so that's another to add to the tally!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 26-09-2014, 17:03

Glad to hear all is well, mine is due its service by the end of October too. What is it you think is poor about the ipod control? If you just put all songs on shuffle, you don't even need to change the stereo to random as the ipod shuffles anyway