Thinking about getting an MG3: Questions! - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 18:49 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135 Sprint, MG3 Style LUX, MG ZS 120
Garages
Thinking about getting an MG3: Questions!

Ok, I'm an 'old geeza' compared to most MG3 drivers, I guess. I've owned a number of MG's (including a TF 'summer car' currently).

I do a 60 mile a day round trip to work, so needed to find something comfortable and economical. Three years ago, I pretty much dismissed the MG3 as I wasn't too impressed with the MPG figures I was hearing, so for my daily drive I bought a top of the range Hyundai i10 with all extras added. Don't laugh, it's a great little car and does what it says on the tin.

The only thing is, I'm getting bored of it and thinking about a change.

Is it worth looking again at the MG3 again? I've looked at the MG website and configured a nice Style as per pic below

What's the best fuel consumption you can expect in the real world? Can you get it anywhere near the 50 mpg I consistently get from the Hyundai?

What's it like as a day to day drive?

Any reliability issues?

Anything else worth knowing?

Hope you guys can help!

Cheers
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 19:30

Car: MG ZS 120+ , MG ZR TD, MG TF 135 and MG3 Style.
We have had ours for nearly 2 years. Bought from new and we have not had a single issue with it.

It isn't in the same class as a Corsa/Fiesta with regards to build quality/materials but it is much cheaper. Its better than anything that came out of Longbridge in the MG-Rover days though.

Ours is a Style and is fully loaded......not much point going for a lower spec.

My one gripe is the fairly poor fuel economy......latest ones may be better as they have stop start.

I did come from a ZR TD though.

This is ours

MoonManMike likes this.

Last edited by michaelb; 17-02-2017 at 19:44.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 19:34

Car: CityRover
There is a good buyers guide I came across on the MG3 owners facebook group. A number of owners have said it's very useful.

Buyer?s Guide ? MG 3 | MACDROITWICH

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 21:29

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
There are a lot better cars out there than an MG3, if you want to be
buying one to stay within the brand family then go for it as there not
that bad but as mentioned above the Corsa and Fiesta are better
bult, plus the latter offer a range of trim and engines to suit you.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 08:13

Car: Rover 211 MG ZS 120 MG ZT 160T ZTT 120 MG3 Style MG ZS 180
I've averaged 43.5 mpg over my 15 months and 25k miles of ownership. Mine is used everyday for a 40 mile round trip which is 50% stop start traffic and 50% A roads, so a good mixture. On a long motorway run I achieved 55mpg so it's doable. To get the amount of kit and performance you would spend thousands more on a Fiesta or Corsa. Mines been trouble free apart from a faulty radio. I've had 2 crashes in the last week and the cars stood up really well. The first an Audi A4 went into the side of me and the second a bike forced me off the road, smashing me into a central island. Both times I've feared the worst as the noise was awful inside the car. A dented wing and a couple of tyres was the result. The Audi actually had more damage! Overall it's a fantastic car with some great touches and properly built, still no rattles despite what the cars been through. The plastics used inside are no different to what you find in other small cars, unless you want to pay double for a 'premium' brand. I paid less than £8k for a brand new one, just before the mk2 model came in, so value wise nothing beats it, even at £10k it would have been a good buy. I have recently bought a V6 ZS as I missed my old ZS, but I forgot how bad MGR build quality was in comparison to new MG. Both great cars in their own right though. The 3's engine is fine above 2k revs, really picks up well.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 11:13

Car: 2013 MG 3 VTI Tech Style
I have had mine 3 weeks now and every week it has returned 36mpg so no where near the claims others are making (I am not saying they are making it up by the way) that is the figure thereabouts on the OBC and the figure I work out manually after brimming it. Mine is a 63 plate that has done 24K miles so has been well run in.

I don't drive particularly fast occasionally I may drive a bit spirited but mine is mostly at speed limits and I have around a 10 miles commute each day to work and another 10 miles back, all on A&B roads.

In my first week I took it on a 60 mile each way trip down the motorway too (70-75mph on cruise) and still only returned 36mpg that week.

People who get higher must drive like miss Daisy or live in very flat areas.

IMHO if you are getting 50mpg from your current car then based on my experience you will be very disappointed in the fuel economy although the stop start will probably achieve better returns but not a massive difference I would have thought.

Last edited by simcor; 18-02-2017 at 11:18.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 14:52

I drive quite spritely when I can, but stop/start traffic hampers that. I've always filled my tank every time to the brim so have a good understanding of the proper mpg. My OBC always reads to within 1mpg of what I get so pretty accurate. I never really take it over 4K revs so that helps with mpg.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
I drive quite spritely when I can, but stop/start traffic hampers that. I've always filled my tank every time to the brim so have a good understanding of the proper mpg. My OBC always reads to within 1mpg of what I get so pretty accurate. I never really take it over 4K revs so that helps with mpg.
Very odd like you I find the OBC pretty accurate, however the book figures are Tosh as are most, but I wonder what for example me and you are doing so differently. It sounds like we both drive in a similar style and it's maybe a little flatter where you live than me I guess.

I do wonder how much of difference tyres can actually make though as I have Landsails on the front that were already on it when I got it. I'm going to get them changed for the OEM goodyears or maybe the Khumos that the new cars now come with.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 16:39

Car: MG3 Style Lux
Hi. I am a "golden oldie" with respect for MG cars. Had my MG ruby red and black with leather seats etc. for just about two months, and I can honestly say that I am very proud and pleased with my purchase. Yes mpg is less than others but not that much. So far, from the instrumentation, it is returning 42mpg just pottering around. No long journeys made yet.
Many people admire the car, and I nearly always get a wave from other MG3 owners who are few and far between as yet. Yes I am proud of the badge. Who cares where it is made, as long as it gives satisfaction. Go for it and get a wave.

By the way, dbdenia was created in Spain, but I can't seem to change it to dbtycroes where I now live any advice.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 16:46
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdenia View Post

By the way, dbdenia was created in Spain, but I can't seem to change it to dbtycroes where I now live any advice.
Did I understood correctly, you would like to change your username from "dbdenia" to "dbtycroes"?
If this is the case you cannot change it by yourself, but it has to be changed by forum administartor.
If you would like this change we can do it for you, just confirm what would you like to do.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 17:04

Username change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Did I understood correctly, you would like to change your username from "dbdenia" to "dbtycroes"?
If this is the case you cannot change it by yourself, but it has to be changed by forum administartor.
If you would like this change we can do it for you, just confirm what would you like to do.

Yes please. From dbdenia to dbtycroes. My current car is an MG3 Style Lux
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcor View Post
Quote:
Very odd like you I find the OBC pretty accurate, however the book figures are Tosh as are most, but I wonder what for example me and you are doing so differently. It sounds like we both drive in a similar style and it's maybe a little flatter where you live than me I guess.

I do wonder how much of difference tyres can actually make though as I have Landsails on the front that were already on it when I got it. I'm going to get them changed for the OEM goodyears or maybe the Khumos that the new cars now come with.
It could be the tyres, Goodyear Efficient Grip are rated very highly for fuel consumption, grip and longevity. Worth paying an extra tenner for. I also have them at 34psi instead of the recommended 32. Reckon they will be good for 40-45k. Strangely, talking about the accuracy of the OBC, it was showing 40.9 today, but was actually 44.1 after brimming the tank. The most it's ever been out!
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 18:31

Car: Other Manufacturer
Isn't a new more efficient engine meant to be on the way to the MG3 quite soon? Might be worth waiting for that.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 20:37

44mpg in everyday driving for a 1.5 N/A engine is up there with the best. Many people I know with the 1.0 ecoboost engine struggle to get 35! I honestly don't think small turbos are all they are made out to be.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 20:53

I am comparing mine with the hire Corsa I had and I did achieve 42mpg out of that on the same kind of use, but that was a 1.4 with a fair bit less horsepower.

Maybe these cheap tyres on it are making the difference or it's just what it is.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 08:24 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
We have had ours for nearly 2 years. Bought from new and we have not had a single issue with it.

It isn't in the same class as a Corsa/Fiesta with regards to build quality/materials but it is much cheaper. Its better than anything that came out of Longbridge in the MG-Rover days though.

Ours is a Style and is fully loaded......not much point going for a lower spec.

My one gripe is the fairly poor fuel economy......latest ones may be better as they have stop start.

I did come from a ZR TD though.

This is ours

Nice looking car. Thanks for the comments!
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 08:41 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickChilds View Post
There is a good buyers guide I came across on the MG3 owners facebook group. A number of owners have said it's very useful.

Buyer?s Guide ? MG 3 | MACDROITWICH
Worth a read, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
There are a lot better cars out there than an MG3, if you want to be
buying one to stay within the brand family then go for it as there not
that bad but as mentioned above the Corsa and Fiesta are better
bult, plus the latter offer a range of trim and engines to suit you.
The other thing I do like about the MG3 is that 'everyone' has Corsa's and Fiesta's. You don't see many MH3's on the road....so a bit of exclusivity!

Quote:
I've averaged 43.5 mpg over my 15 months and 25k miles of ownership. Mine is used everyday for a 40 mile round trip which is 50% stop start traffic and 50% A roads, so a good mixture. On a long motorway run I achieved 55mpg so it's doable. To get the amount of kit and performance you would spend thousands more on a Fiesta or Corsa. Mines been trouble free apart from a faulty radio. I've had 2 crashes in the last week and the cars stood up really well. The first an Audi A4 went into the side of me and the second a bike forced me off the road, smashing me into a central island. Both times I've feared the worst as the noise was awful inside the car. A dented wing and a couple of tyres was the result. The Audi actually had more damage! Overall it's a fantastic car with some great touches and properly built, still no rattles despite what the cars been through. The plastics used inside are no different to what you find in other small cars, unless you want to pay double for a 'premium' brand. I paid less than £8k for a brand new one, just before the mk2 model came in, so value wise nothing beats it, even at £10k it would have been a good buy. I have recently bought a V6 ZS as I missed my old ZS, but I forgot how bad MGR build quality was in comparison to new MG. Both great cars in their own right though. The 3's engine is fine above 2k revs, really picks up well.
Great mileage comparison there, thanks. My son has a ZS, not the V6 but the 120. It's a great car!

Quote:
I have had mine 3 weeks now and every week it has returned 36mpg so no where near the claims others are making (I am not saying they are making it up by the way) that is the figure thereabouts on the OBC and the figure I work out manually after brimming it. Mine is a 63 plate that has done 24K miles so has been well run in.

I don't drive particularly fast occasionally I may drive a bit spirited but mine is mostly at speed limits and I have around a 10 miles commute each day to work and another 10 miles back, all on A&B roads.

In my first week I took it on a 60 mile each way trip down the motorway too (70-75mph on cruise) and still only returned 36mpg that week.

People who get higher must drive like miss Daisy or live in very flat areas.

IMHO if you are getting 50mpg from your current car then based on my experience you will be very disappointed in the fuel economy although the stop start will probably achieve better returns but not a massive difference I would have thought.
Actually, I would say 36mpg at 70-75 isn't too bad. thanks for the comparison

Quote:
To be fair, I rarely go above 4k, but of course every now and again........

Quote:

Bok figures are almost a waste of time. I always take 20% straight off those figures for 'real world'. I think tyres can make a difference, although the extra cost on some probably offsets any benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdenia View Post
Hi. I am a "golden oldie" with respect for MG cars. Had my MG ruby red and black with leather seats etc. for just about two months, and I can honestly say that I am very proud and pleased with my purchase. Yes mpg is less than others but not that much. So far, from the instrumentation, it is returning 42mpg just pottering around. No long journeys made yet.
Many people admire the car, and I nearly always get a wave from other MG3 owners who are few and far between as yet. Yes I am proud of the badge. Who cares where it is made, as long as it gives satisfaction. Go for it and get a wave.

I'm really starting to lean in favour of the 3. You mention leather seats. Are the Style seats real leather of faux leather?

Quote:
It could be the tyres, Goodyear Efficient Grip are rated very highly for fuel consumption, grip and longevity. Worth paying an extra tenner for. I also have them at 34psi instead of the recommended 32. Reckon they will be good for 40-45k. Strangely, talking about the accuracy of the OBC, it was showing 40.9 today, but was actually 44.1 after brimming the tank. The most it's ever been out!
An extra tenner isn't too bad. Probably worth the extra for decent tyres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbeneezerGoode View Post
Isn't a new more efficient engine meant to be on the way to the MG3 quite soon? Might be worth waiting for that.
I'll check that out, thanks

Quote:
44mpg in everyday driving for a 1.5 N/A engine is up there with the best. Many people I know with the 1.0 ecoboost engine struggle to get 35! I honestly don't think small turbos are all they are made out to be.
I was quite surprised when I heard they were putting a 1.0 on a Mondeo a few years ago, but it must have worked. I do think it must have to work hard though

Quote:
I am comparing mine with the hire Corsa I had and I did achieve 42mpg out of that on the same kind of use, but that was a 1.4 with a fair bit less horsepower.

Maybe these cheap tyres on it are making the difference or it's just what it is.
Corsa's are common. That's my only gripe....good cars though!
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 09:06 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
I'm rather liking the white Style with black stripes

Keep those comments coming.....I'm leaning towards getting one!
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 09:43

Car: Rover 200 (89-95)
Hi,
Sorry for the ramble, but here we go:
I had my Rover 214Si (wedge shape) from new (1993) until Nov 2016, and covered 239,000 miles. It did everything I asked, was on the whole very reliable (Head gasket at 180K, a gearbox rebuild at 120K and then a scrap gearbox at maybe 190K, routine stuff like batteries, alternators etc. - all wheel bearings were original, as were shox, some bulbs etc.). If they still built them Id've bought another like a shot. To say I was gutted when the time finally came was an understatement. I get hire cars regularly for work, everything from Focus to C Series Merc's. Some of the toys were fun (I like reversing cameras ) but was always glad to get back to Ricky the Rover. The latest jobbies were like space ships - just finding the radio on/off switch was often fun. Not. I would often wonder how much to fix some of them if they went wrong, and how many of today's garages could diagnose faults without getting into part swapping. Mind you, the Dodge Charger (a.k.a "The General Lee") hire car I had for ten days out in the middle east was fun Mind you, fuel was 10p a litre and I wasn't paying for it, nor the tyres.....

I spent a long time looking for a replacement for Ricky (months on the internet) cos' I knew the great racetrack in the sky was approaching. My favourite was Fiesta, but it had to be a 1.4 petrol (no longer made), under 30K miles - ideally a lot less, five door, white, reversing sensors and cruise. Why white? Cos' I know from experience that Metallics are a pig to match if damaged (Ricky had a run in the door paint when new, and it took three goes to colour match it. In the end they had to paint the entire lhs of the car. To say it spoilt the pleasure of buying a new car was an understatement). Many of the darker colours look good (not black, never ever - been there, done that, regretted it and vowed never again) but when scratched show a glaringly obvious white line Scratch a white car.....shows a white line.....
Anyway, the Fiesta spec I was looking for (Titanium spec) was few and far between, expensive and those I saw weren't worth the petrol going to see. I considered others also - Golf, corsa, mazda, Kia but nothing fitted the bill for the spec, availability, money etc.

Then I came across MG3 (MG UK really need to up their game on advertising, though I appreciate their budget may be limited at present).
It fitted the bill exactly - 105hp 1.5 petrol (I don't want a diesel cos' of dpf issues, and definitely not a Turbo - great when they work, cost a fortune when they don't.) . I keep cars for a long time, when warrantly has long gone. The turbo on my boss's newish jag packed up and cost him £2.5K...
I had a couple of test drives, looked over the car and was convinced it was right for me. I purchased a new style lux (2016 stop/start) from Brown & Gammons at Baldock (EXCELLENT dealer, no connections etc. etc - and with my experience of car dealers they must be good if I'm prepared to say that) and took delivery in late November. I've done 2600 miles so far. Views:
1. Build standard is absolutely fine.
2. Driving is excellent; some don't like the engine power being a bit higher up the rev range but it causes no issues for me whatsoever. After a Hyundai i10 it'll feel like a little rocket...
3. Wasn't keen on the fact that there is a step in the boot when the rear seats are folded flat. But then I asked myself how often do I do that? Maybe 3 or 4 times a year....
4. Servicing seems very cheap - 80ish for the first and third services, with the second about 180 IIRC (B&G prices). Ask what a Ford dealer charges for a Fiesta....
5. Headlights were set on the legal low limit when delivered - it's worth asking for them to be checked on delivery. I also fitted Osram Nightbreaker bulbs (a tenner from Eurocarparts, who usually have 25% or 30% discounts every weekend on their website; oil has been as much as 50% off, which is useful as the stuff the s/start model uses is expensive).
6. Any problems? Only the single (subframe??) "knock" reported in the link above - intermittent and usually only when reversing off my drive in the morning. B&G have checked it and worked on the subframe, but so far no success as yet. It does'nt help that it's intermittent so can't reliably be repeated at the garage. Never heard it when driving etc. and I'm happy nothing should fall off when driving. Just very mildly annoying that I don't know what it is as yet. The next stage (I think) is for B&G to email MG for advice, in case they have a lesser known fix. Others have reported it too, but usually fiddling with the subframe bolts sorts it.
7. Petrol? Not the best. I'm getting 40 at present (20 miles twice a day, a little bit of 30/40mph B roads, mainly A roads and then 10 miles up the Motorway). If you do lots of town work etc. then you'll be in the 30's. How some a getting into the 50's is beyond me. Maybe very long journey's up a motorway a 3 in the morning, at 50mph with cruise engaged? To get more mpg you'll need to spend a LOT more money for a similar spec car (I think a new Fiesta was coming in at 16.8K; I got £2K trade in on a new car so paid £9K. That's a lot of fuel......). Fiesta Ecoboost owners are reporting fuel consumption NO-WHERE NEAR what is promised (i.e. in the 30's.)
8. The JD Power car reliability survey 2016 placed the MG3 24th, with the MG6 35th. The Hyundai i10 came 38th.
Best cars to own: Driver Power 2016 results | Auto Express
9. There are a few reported issues, most notably with the cam chain jumping a tooth, causing loss of power and an engine management light coming on. B&G have seen 3, all on cars that have been way over the service limit and/or driven like Ferrar's. Apparently modified parts are now fitted.
10. It's worth remembering that few people will post good experiences on the internet, but those that have had problems will be all too quick to post doom & gloom stories. Also Trolls, those with an axe to grind etc. There was a thread (on here) where the poster claimed to have (I think) a Rover City. When asked to post a picture he admitted that he didn't have one - it was the first model in the drop-down list so he selected it......
11. MG3 parts seem pretty cheap, though few (non OEM) pattern parts are available as yet. A genuine new wing is £55, a complete electric mirror around £90, a rear bumper is £110 (B&G website). A friend took the wing mirror off a merc recently; the mirror cost £900....
12. Plenty of parts appearing on Ebay. I got a set of new rubber mats with red edging for around £30. Fit is perfect; MG rubber mats don't have the red edging and cost £71.
John Woods Motorcare, Xpart AutoService Centre
MG & AMC Parts
13. Lastly, I'd suggest:
(a) If you can't accept the MPG (think how much money you've saved on the new car price) then a 3 isn't for you.
(b) B&G is just up the road from you and I'd recommend them 100%
(c) Get GAP insurance (mine's from ALA insurance - very well thought of - do a google search for ALA insurance discount code to save a bit of money). Cover provided by car policies has lots of small print (e.g. car has to be on finance, for example). My AA policy only pays out if the damage exceeds 60% of the new car cost. Only they (eventually!!) admitted they may write off a car at less than 60% of new car cost....which means you need to have a REALLY bad smash to be sure of a payout. Don't fancy that somehow.....

Finally, after 3 months and 2600 miles - I'd buy my 3 again in a heartbeat. No question....

HTH (Assuming you're still awake!!)
Brian

ps There's a couple of very useful and friendly Facebook groups for the 3 and 6:
MG3 Owners UK
MGCC 635 Register

ps Thereís a couple of Facebook groups useful for the
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 11:45

Leather seats? It says in the spec, leather seat, trades description and all that. It smells and looks like leather. As I said before, who cares? As a "golden oldie" I chose leather seats, because the red striped cloth seats looked too sporty for me. The same goes for avoiding the graphics. The choice is yours.