Thinking about getting an MG3: Questions! - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 12:19

Car: Rover 200 (89-95)
Not sure that a new engine for the 3 is imminent or not - plenty of rumours. There's been rumour of a 1.4 (1.5?) Turbo for 18 months or more, with maybe 165 gee gees. That won't be group 4 insurance for sure.....

I agree about the comment regarding small turbos being not all they're cracked up to be; as for the 1.0L 3 cylinder turbo in a mondeo - by the time it sees 50K on the clock it must be half dead. Wonder what the real world mpg is?

Leather seats - the Lux has a combination of (real) leather seats and material. I have them and think they're both great and practical. No keys in back pockets or rivets on jeans though; I also use these - very good, stay put, fit well and look fine (matching rear covers also available):
https://www.walser-shop.com/en/seat-...llhoehe?c=1553

HTH
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 18:03 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135 Sprint, MG3 Style LUX, MG ZS 120
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybear View Post
Hi,
Sorry for the ramble, but here we go:
I had my Rover 214Si (wedge shape) from new (1993) until Nov 2016, and covered 239,000 miles. It did everything I asked, was on the whole very reliable (Head gasket at 180K, a gearbox rebuild at 120K and then a scrap gearbox at maybe 190K, routine stuff like batteries, alternators etc. - all wheel bearings were original, as were shox, some bulbs etc.). If they still built them Id've bought another like a shot. To say I was gutted when the time finally came was an understatement. I get hire cars regularly for work, everything from Focus to C Series Merc's. Some of the toys were fun (I like reversing cameras ) but was always glad to get back to Ricky the Rover. The latest jobbies were like space ships - just finding the radio on/off switch was often fun. Not. I would often wonder how much to fix some of them if they went wrong, and how many of today's garages could diagnose faults without getting into part swapping. Mind you, the Dodge Charger (a.k.a "The General Lee") hire car I had for ten days out in the middle east was fun Mind you, fuel was 10p a litre and I wasn't paying for it, nor the tyres.....

I spent a long time looking for a replacement for Ricky (months on the internet) cos' I knew the great racetrack in the sky was approaching. My favourite was Fiesta, but it had to be a 1.4 petrol (no longer made), under 30K miles - ideally a lot less, five door, white, reversing sensors and cruise. Why white? Cos' I know from experience that Metallics are a pig to match if damaged (Ricky had a run in the door paint when new, and it took three goes to colour match it. In the end they had to paint the entire lhs of the car. To say it spoilt the pleasure of buying a new car was an understatement). Many of the darker colours look good (not black, never ever - been there, done that, regretted it and vowed never again) but when scratched show a glaringly obvious white line Scratch a white car.....shows a white line.....
Anyway, the Fiesta spec I was looking for (Titanium spec) was few and far between, expensive and those I saw weren't worth the petrol going to see. I considered others also - Golf, corsa, mazda, Kia but nothing fitted the bill for the spec, availability, money etc.

Then I came across MG3 (MG UK really need to up their game on advertising, though I appreciate their budget may be limited at present).
It fitted the bill exactly - 105hp 1.5 petrol (I don't want a diesel cos' of dpf issues, and definitely not a Turbo - great when they work, cost a fortune when they don't.) . I keep cars for a long time, when warrantly has long gone. The turbo on my boss's newish jag packed up and cost him £2.5K...
I had a couple of test drives, looked over the car and was convinced it was right for me. I purchased a new style lux (2016 stop/start) from Brown & Gammons at Baldock (EXCELLENT dealer, no connections etc. etc - and with my experience of car dealers they must be good if I'm prepared to say that) and took delivery in late November. I've done 2600 miles so far. Views:
1. Build standard is absolutely fine.
2. Driving is excellent; some don't like the engine power being a bit higher up the rev range but it causes no issues for me whatsoever. After a Hyundai i10 it'll feel like a little rocket...
3. Wasn't keen on the fact that there is a step in the boot when the rear seats are folded flat. But then I asked myself how often do I do that? Maybe 3 or 4 times a year....
4. Servicing seems very cheap - 80ish for the first and third services, with the second about 180 IIRC (B&G prices). Ask what a Ford dealer charges for a Fiesta....
5. Headlights were set on the legal low limit when delivered - it's worth asking for them to be checked on delivery. I also fitted Osram Nightbreaker bulbs (a tenner from Eurocarparts, who usually have 25% or 30% discounts every weekend on their website; oil has been as much as 50% off, which is useful as the stuff the s/start model uses is expensive).
6. Any problems? Only the single (subframe??) "knock" reported in the link above - intermittent and usually only when reversing off my drive in the morning. B&G have checked it and worked on the subframe, but so far no success as yet. It does'nt help that it's intermittent so can't reliably be repeated at the garage. Never heard it when driving etc. and I'm happy nothing should fall off when driving. Just very mildly annoying that I don't know what it is as yet. The next stage (I think) is for B&G to email MG for advice, in case they have a lesser known fix. Others have reported it too, but usually fiddling with the subframe bolts sorts it.
7. Petrol? Not the best. I'm getting 40 at present (20 miles twice a day, a little bit of 30/40mph B roads, mainly A roads and then 10 miles up the Motorway). If you do lots of town work etc. then you'll be in the 30's. How some a getting into the 50's is beyond me. Maybe very long journey's up a motorway a 3 in the morning, at 50mph with cruise engaged? To get more mpg you'll need to spend a LOT more money for a similar spec car (I think a new Fiesta was coming in at 16.8K; I got £2K trade in on a new car so paid £9K. That's a lot of fuel......). Fiesta Ecoboost owners are reporting fuel consumption NO-WHERE NEAR what is promised (i.e. in the 30's.)
8. The JD Power car reliability survey 2016 placed the MG3 24th, with the MG6 35th. The Hyundai i10 came 38th.
Best cars to own: Driver Power 2016 results | Auto Express
9. There are a few reported issues, most notably with the cam chain jumping a tooth, causing loss of power and an engine management light coming on. B&G have seen 3, all on cars that have been way over the service limit and/or driven like Ferrar's. Apparently modified parts are now fitted.
10. It's worth remembering that few people will post good experiences on the internet, but those that have had problems will be all too quick to post doom & gloom stories. Also Trolls, those with an axe to grind etc. There was a thread (on here) where the poster claimed to have (I think) a Rover City. When asked to post a picture he admitted that he didn't have one - it was the first model in the drop-down list so he selected it......
11. MG3 parts seem pretty cheap, though few (non OEM) pattern parts are available as yet. A genuine new wing is £55, a complete electric mirror around £90, a rear bumper is £110 (B&G website). A friend took the wing mirror off a merc recently; the mirror cost £900....
12. Plenty of parts appearing on Ebay. I got a set of new rubber mats with red edging for around £30. Fit is perfect; MG rubber mats don't have the red edging and cost £71.
John Woods Motorcare, Xpart AutoService Centre
MG & AMC Parts
13. Lastly, I'd suggest:
(a) If you can't accept the MPG (think how much money you've saved on the new car price) then a 3 isn't for you.
(b) B&G is just up the road from you and I'd recommend them 100%
(c) Get GAP insurance (mine's from ALA insurance - very well thought of - do a google search for ALA insurance discount code to save a bit of money). Cover provided by car policies has lots of small print (e.g. car has to be on finance, for example). My AA policy only pays out if the damage exceeds 60% of the new car cost. Only they (eventually!!) admitted they may write off a car at less than 60% of new car cost....which means you need to have a REALLY bad smash to be sure of a payout. Don't fancy that somehow.....

Finally, after 3 months and 2600 miles - I'd buy my 3 again in a heartbeat. No question....

HTH (Assuming you're still awake!!)
Brian

ps There's a couple of very useful and friendly Facebook groups for the 3 and 6:
MG3 Owners UK
MGCC 635 Register

ps Thereís a couple of Facebook groups useful for the
Wow, the post to beat all posts! Thank you so, so much for going to the trouble and effort writing this.
I know exactly where you're coming from with the fuel consumption. I think I've really mastered the light foot with the Hyundai and know my route so well that I really think it helps to squeeze the best mpg out of the car. I've tried to master that technique of smooth, economical driving without going at a pace that forms a queue behind. It would be interesting to see what mpg I could get out of an MG3 (although I'm no 'boy racer', I don't always drive like a grandad!). I know Brown & Gammons well and have always found them helpful and fair. I've pretty much made my mind up to arrange a test drive. Your post now confirms that's what I'm going to do!

Thanks again for a really informative and well written post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdenia View Post
Leather seats? It says in the spec, leather seat, trades description and all that. It smells and looks like leather. As I said before, who cares? As a "golden oldie" I chose leather seats, because the red striped cloth seats looked too sporty for me. The same goes for avoiding the graphics. The choice is yours.
I think I missed where it says leather. If I recall correctly, it said LUX in the configerator, but in fairness I didn't read the spec, so thanks for that. I think the red stripe seats look ok, but like you, prefer the leather!
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 18:30 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Not sure that a new engine for the 3 is imminent or not - plenty of rumours. There's been rumour of a 1.4 (1.5?) Turbo for 18 months or more, with maybe 165 gee gees. That won't be group 4 insurance for sure.....

I agree about the comment regarding small turbos being not all they're cracked up to be; as for the 1.0L 3 cylinder turbo in a mondeo - by the time it sees 50K on the clock it must be half dead. Wonder what the real world mpg is?

Leather seats - the Lux has a combination of (real) leather seats and material. I have them and think they're both great and practical. No keys in back pockets or rivets on jeans though; I also use these - very good, stay put, fit well and look fine (matching rear covers also available):
https://www.walser-shop.com/en/seat-...llhoehe?c=1553

HTH
Brian
A 165 would be fun. Probably a bit like a slightly more comfortable and refined ZR160! Probably also a bit of a guzzler and of course dearer on insurance.

I think my TF seats are a combo of alcantara, real leather and faux leather.
Leather is much easier to clean than fabric. I do find it cold at first in the winter though. Those covers look pretty neat....and warm, I bet!

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 19:30

Car: Rover 211 MG ZS 120 MG ZT 160T ZTT 120 MG3 Style MG ZS 180
Great to see some honest, informative and friendly posts on this forum.
LUX does indeed mean leather seats (think the bolsters are real leather and the seat and back base is a faux leather) and also comes with a leather type material for the doorcards instead of cloth, a nice extra touch. I've got cloth on mine and they have not worn or marked at all in 15 months, they are very comfy and supportive. I do prefer leather though, I have full heated leather in my ZS and it looks, smells and feels great. If the 3 had an option for heated seats on the LUX model I would have opted for that.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 19:31

Car: Rover 211 MG ZS 120 MG ZT 160T ZTT 120 MG3 Style MG ZS 180
Just to add, I recently achieved 50.4mpg on a round trip that included A roads, B roads and a two hour stop start through central London. It can be done!
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 19:49

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonManMike View Post
The other thing I do like about the MG3 is that 'everyone' has Corsa's and Fiesta's. You don't see many MH3's on the road....so a bit of exclusivity!

Yeah, I guess but is that a compromise to knowing there are 'better' cars out
there ?

You can get decal and customisation options from Vauxhall for the Corsa to
make it more unique to you.

Your choice at the end of the day.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 20:38

Quote:
Wow, the post to beat all posts! Thank you so, so much for going to the trouble and effort writing this.
I know exactly where you're coming from with the fuel consumption. I think I've really mastered the light foot with the Hyundai and know my route so well that I really think it helps to squeeze the best mpg out of the car. I've tried to master that technique of smooth, economical driving without going at a pace that forms a queue behind. It would be interesting to see what mpg I could get out of an MG3 (although I'm no 'boy racer', I don't always drive like a grandad!). I know Brown & Gammons well and have always found them helpful and fair. I've pretty much made my mind up to arrange a test drive. Your post now confirms that's what I'm going to do!

Thanks again for a really informative and well written post!
Glad it proved useful, though I must admit to being a bit p***ed off when I accidentaly clicked on another tab half way thru' typing it and lost a fair chunk, so had to re-type it
I must admit to amusing myself driving with the average mpg display selected, seeing how high I can get it. Sad....
Brian
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 20:59
Proud of Longbridge, too.

Car: MG 3Style
How do you feel so far with the above posts?

Despite my own 3's issues I would still recommend it above most vehicles in its class. Working in rental Ive driven loads of cars, most didnt seem to have the right comfort or interior compared to the 3. The only thing I would want from another car in the 3 would be a better engine, but thats not too much of a gripe really.

Majority of owners have had trouble free motoring and varied after sales service too.

Interior space is bigger than Polo, Fabia, Fiesta & Corsa, especially for rear space for your passengers. Depending on which engine choice the Polo, Fabia & Fiesta's all have noisy 3-cylinders. Corsa is still terribly uncomfy. My top three cars for comfort & all round pleasure are the MG3, Kia Optima & Volvo V60-R.

I was trying to sell mine a little while ago as circumstances changed and I wasnt using it. Of course was getting messed about by the MG-R scenes most annoying arse but never mind. The car is SORN, sat on my drive and taking a bit of a break.

Keep us posted how you're getting on!
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 19:04 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
Great to see some honest, informative and friendly posts on this forum.
LUX does indeed mean leather seats (think the bolsters are real leather and the seat and back base is a faux leather) and also comes with a leather type material for the doorcards instead of cloth, a nice extra touch. I've got cloth on mine and they have not worn or marked at all in 15 months, they are very comfy and supportive. I do prefer leather though, I have full heated leather in my ZS and it looks, smells and feels great. If the 3 had an option for heated seats on the LUX model I would have opted for that.
Yes, they're brilliant posts and they've been a real help.

I think the seats on my TF have a mixture of leather and faux leather. The seat base is alcantara, but the sides are leather and I think the back is faux leather. My Hyundai has heated seats and I know I'd miss them, but there are some 'add ons' (not MG) you can buy so assuming I go the the MG3, I'll look further into them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
Just to add, I recently achieved 50.4mpg on a round trip that included A roads, B roads and a two hour stop start through central London. It can be done!
That's pretty reasonable. I'd be happy with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
Yeah, I guess but is that a compromise to knowing there are 'better' cars out
there ?

You can get decal and customisation options from Vauxhall for the Corsa to
make it more unique to you.

Your choice at the end of the day.
I know exactly where you're coming from, but ultimately, there's nothing in the Ford/Vauxhall range that can touch the MG for value and spec pound for pound. Of course depreciation will also come into play which probably balances it out a little. The MG is still a rarer car and that appeals!

Quote:
Glad it proved useful, though I must admit to being a bit p***ed off when I accidentaly clicked on another tab half way thru' typing it and lost a fair chunk, so had to re-type it
I must admit to amusing myself driving with the average mpg display selected, seeing how high I can get it. Sad....
Brian
How many times have I done that! If I know I'm doing a long post now, I've got into the habit of saving it to word as I go. Of course, since doing that, I've never had to revert to it! I'm always checking my current and average mpg figure. When I'm in 'grandad mode' I'm almost obsessed with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
How do you feel so far with the above posts?

Despite my own 3's issues I would still recommend it above most vehicles in its class. Working in rental Ive driven loads of cars, most didnt seem to have the right comfort or interior compared to the 3. The only thing I would want from another car in the 3 would be a better engine, but thats not too much of a gripe really.

Majority of owners have had trouble free motoring and varied after sales service too.

Interior space is bigger than Polo, Fabia, Fiesta & Corsa, especially for rear space for your passengers. Depending on which engine choice the Polo, Fabia & Fiesta's all have noisy 3-cylinders. Corsa is still terribly uncomfy. My top three cars for comfort & all round pleasure are the MG3, Kia Optima & Volvo V60-R.

I was trying to sell mine a little while ago as circumstances changed and I wasnt using it. Of course was getting messed about by the MG-R scenes most annoying arse but never mind. The car is SORN, sat on my drive and taking a bit of a break.

Keep us posted how you're getting on!
I'm really impressed with the quality of replies. Probably among the best I've ever had on this forum. I've decided to pop up to Brown & Gammons on Saturday and have a look at a 3 and have chat with them. Like you, I'm also a fan of the Kia Optima. I've not driven one, but I love the look of them. Here's a real beauty I came across in the US a couple of years ago

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 19:24 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
I went to Brown & Gammons on Saturday and had a look at an MG3 Style. I had quite a long chat with Malcolm Gammons' wife (didn't get her name) and then with Malcolm Gammon afterwards

I'm quite impressed with the look of the 3 and build quality seems to be quite reasonable, although the interior plastics look a little cheap. That's not too surprising given the price, so it isn't really a criticism. Without doubt the car is good value for money. I was surprised at how much leg room there is in the back and the boot is larger than my Hyundai. I asked if they could turn the ignition on and I had a little play with the controls. The lighting on the dash/switches etc looks pretty neat.

I'm going to arrange a test drive some time over the next few weeks. That way, I'll know how it drives and get an idea of fuel consumption using the trip computer.

I like what I've seen so far!
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 10:47

Car: MG3 3Style
Reading shows 39.2mpg. Working it out manually its about 40-41 now but was 42 a couple of months ago. I've been using the cruise control a lot more recently including where there is some traffic, so maybe it impacts on the economy.

Remember the 3 is not THAT small a car - you'll notice the difference from an i10.
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 18:46 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrover View Post
Reading shows 39.2mpg. Working it out manually its about 40-41 now but was 42 a couple of months ago. I've been using the cruise control a lot more recently including where there is some traffic, so maybe it impacts on the economy.

Remember the 3 is not THAT small a car - you'll notice the difference from an i10.
I'm reckoning on getting around 42/43 mpg on the type of journey I'll be doing, which is 8-10 mpg less than I generally get with the Hyundai. Of course, I haven't tried yet, it's just a rough idea from what people have been saying. I have cruise control on the Hyundai. I've experimented and I happen to think that a very careful foot can squeeze more mpg than leaving it on cruise control, although it's a tedious effort to do so!
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:45

Car: MG3 3Style
Quote:
I'm reckoning on getting around 42/43 mpg on the type of journey I'll be doing, which is 8-10 mpg less than I generally get with the Hyundai. Of course, I haven't tried yet, it's just a rough idea from what people have been saying. I have cruise control on the Hyundai. I've experimented and I happen to think that a very careful foot can squeeze more mpg than leaving it on cruise control, although it's a tedious effort to do so!
I'm counting on getting more used to the cruise control, but getting a few extra miles per gallon is less important to me than fun and convenience out of my MG3. It's a great car to handle, and having hired an i10 in Spain I can say its even better than it at roundabouts, at holding while still being nippy etc (IMO the i10 is one of the best small cars handling-wise).

Like I said, its not that small a car, it's a supermini and quite solid. It's not going to compete with an Aygo. No car is perfect - it can be slightly noisy and a slightly hard ride but I found the seating very comfortable, the vision good, climate control excellent.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 17:14

I'm currently seeing low 39's, maybe the odd very low 40's. It doesn't need much traffic to knock the score down.
*Beware - there's a price increase due very soon (end of the month?)*
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 19:51 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Test drive booked for Saturday. I'm aware of the price increase and of course the tax increase from 1st April. I've checked, and if I decide to go for it, there is stock currently available for delivery before the end of the month.

I'd guess that pre April cars will be more desirable in the future as a used purchase due to their lower tax. So for all sorts of reasons it makes sense to buy now rather than in a month or two!

streetrover, with a little work on the i10 suspension, it would really 'rock and roll' round the country roads!
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 13-03-2017, 13:57

Car: MG ZS 120+ , MG ZR TD, MG TF 135 and MG3 Style.
how did u get on with the test drive?
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 13-03-2017, 19:48 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
how did u get on with the test drive?
I like most things about it. I took out a Style LUX. I love the look of the 3 and it certainly seems to be pretty well built, so no problems there. The interior does look a bit plasticky, especially the dash area. However, I think the piano black surrounds give it a bit of a lift. Nice to see a bit of 'softness' on the LUX door cards. The LUX seats.....well, I don't think I've ever sat in such nice seats. Maybe I'm just the right shape and size, but they fitted like a glove and were soft and firm respectively in all the right places. They felt top quality. I really do rate them; like being cosseted in a personalised arm chair!

There's a little more body roll than I expected, but I thought the overall ride was good; better than I expected. Steering very responsive. I managed around 45mpg on my test drive, which was mixed driving. Not too disappointed with that

The one disappointment was the rather gutless engine. My i10 has much more torque in the lower rev range. I didn't floor it at all, so didn't get in the higher rev range where I understand the 3 starts to come into its own. I don't exactly bomb around anyway, so the poor low rev performance isn't really a problem to me. It's nice to know there's something there if you need to find it

I'm very impressed with the roomy rear; much roomier than the i10

All in all, I think the 3 is extremely good for the money. If they made the interior a little more upmarket and gave the engine a little more oomph in the lower rev range, they would have a really cracking motor, even if it meant adding £1000 or so to the price. I'd pay it for those improvements.

As it is though, it's still a cracking motor for the price and I would have one over common Corsa's, Fiesta's etc any day

So, did I buy? Well, I've put my deposit down! Hopefully I'll have my new White Style LUX within a fortnight
michaelb likes this.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 13:47

Car: MG TF
I'm guessing the demo car you drove didn't have many miles on it, the engines do improve with a few miles. I hadn't driven my wife's car for some time and recently used it because it was blocking mine in. It's now got just over 10K on the clock and it was noticeably better than when I last drove. I hope you enjoy your car as much as my wife has hers.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 15-03-2017, 22:18 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbob View Post
I'm guessing the demo car you drove didn't have many miles on it, the engines do improve with a few miles. I hadn't driven my wife's car for some time and recently used it because it was blocking mine in. It's now got just over 10K on the clock and it was noticeably better than when I last drove. I hope you enjoy your car as much as my wife has hers.
The car had 8k on the clock, so it wasn't brand new. I guess it's just a case of getting used to the way it drives. Almost all the reviews suggest that you have to work the gearbox and use the revs to get the best out of it, but I'll be happy plodding along with the pace of the traffic most of the time, so the sluggishness at lower revs isn't really a big issue to me. There are plenty of other things about the 3 that appeal to me