MG6 considering buying one. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 21-01-2017, 19:09 Thread Starter

Car: 2013 MG 3 VTI Tech Style
MG6 considering buying one.

Well I am actually very tempted to buy one now I can get one for a budget I can afford. But as a second hand purchase the question is should I?
Anyone bought second hand after the car is out of manufacturers warranty and had issues?
Notice on the MOT it had an advisory for slight play in a pin/bush on front suspension, is that common on a 3-4 year old car?
I don't have a great amount of luck buying cars anyway but it's done low mileage for its age.

It's a petrol TSE not a diesel.

Last edited by simcor; 21-01-2017 at 19:54.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 09:00
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Why not if it's the right price? I've no direct experience of them, but may look at them idc.

gnu
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 09:34

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Go for it. The MG6 is a really good car. I enjoyed my ownership.

I would certainly have bought another if the 'promised' 1.4 turbo petrol had been launched

I recently test drove a Jag XE. And was very underwhelmed. Preferred my Magnette TSE

Check out the Brown and Gammons web site for MG6 parts and accessories
https://www.ukmgparts.com/catalogue/mg6-mg6-gt-magnette

All parts seem to be readily available. Many service items including oil filter, brake disc and pads are carried over from the MG ZT.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 10:48

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
All parts seem to be readily available.
That's not entirely true.

http://www.mgmotor.org.uk/forum/tech...-parts-problem

This one is NSFW - MACDROITWICH - Login
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Calrk
Many things are starting to fail now I'm nearing 40k.

Rear demister doesn't work. It isn't the fuse, I've checked.

Rear number plate light gone (it's a ******* to get to so haven't bothered yet)

And the big one: passenger side electric window won't fully shut. It gets so far and then suffers a bout of ********* and retracts all the way down again. It's currently up as far as it will go with a bin bag gaffer taped on to the top of the window to the top of the door to prevent moist seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Calrk
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycolm
It's called the SPARE PARTS AVAILABILITY LOTTERY.
Well I lost at this game:

PART NOT AVAILABLE TILL MARCH

Last edited by Perry Stalsis; 22-01-2017 at 11:46.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 11:13

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
Many service items including oil filter, brake disc and pads are carried over from the MG ZT.
There are reports of owners 'upgrading ' to ZT spec parts as the Chinese parts appear to be of a lower quality. Rear wheel bearings in particular seem to be failing at around 60k miles, often bing replaced with better quality ZT parts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 13:07 Thread Starter

Change of plan as much as I really liked the 6 TSE I've bought a 3 Style instead 63 plate in red with 23k miles on it. Decided the cheaper tax and running costs and spares being possibly easier to get hold of. And I have to say on both I think they got far too harsh reviews yes not perfect but quality I think is on our with a lot of mainstream stuff in the price range.

Last edited by simcor; 22-01-2017 at 14:56.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 14:11

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Stalsis View Post
To be fair I dont know what the spares situation is in Australia. Think it is a lot better here looking at the Brown and Gammons site.

In fact the part the Australian guy is having trouble locating is readily available on eBay. 25 aircon compressors for the MG6
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 16:31
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcor View Post
Change of plan as much as I really liked the 6 TSE I've bought a 3 Style instead 63 plate in red with 23k miles on it. Decided the cheaper tax and running costs and spares being possibly easier to get hold of. And I have to say on both I think they got far too harsh reviews yes not perfect but quality I think is on our with a lot of mainstream stuff in the price range.
That's quick work as you only posted the MG6 question yesterday!

Good luck - hope it's a good un...

gnu
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 18:02

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Luck shouldn't come in to it. A three year old car, with low mileage should be ok (any niggles sorted and nothing unexpected wearing out or broken).
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-01-2017, 22:00 Thread Starter

That is what I am hoping Mgnorman. But as I said I will update with how my experience goes although if it's good no doubt I'll get accused of having rose tinted glasses but I am more than happy to be brutally honest if required about my ownership experience.

Last edited by simcor; 23-01-2017 at 04:38.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-01-2017, 04:34 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
That's quick work as you only posted the MG6 question yesterday!

If I am honest my Heart Wanted the 6 but as there were so few TSE cars available and a couple of reservations about a couple of things, I went to look at the 3 and decided the 3 was the better purchase for me right now. So I went with my head rather than my heart.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-01-2017, 10:53

Car: MG ZR 1.4 & Rover 200 1.1
I also keep looking at second hand MG6's.

It's the car at the top of my list. My ZR is getting on a bit now and has a few niggles.
I just can't afford anything yet so even if my ZR went poof, I'd be stuffed!

Once I ahve some savings behind me, I'll be taking another look at this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-01-2017, 15:54
zor
Supporter

Car: MG TF and MG6 GT TSE
Having owned a ZTT before the MG6 TSE I can say that the 6 has proved to be an excellent purchase. I would have no hesitation in recommending them to others. I have had no issues other than a minor on with the cruise control. I have just replaced the front brake discs and pads and the car was easy to work on. As others say some parts are interchangeable with the ZTT which certainly gives you options when looking at repairs. I had to buy a replacement key and was surprised how cheap it was in comparison with ones for the ZTT and TF.

Having said that it is important to recognise that when new the 6 was cheaper than a ZTT and as such you should expect a slightly lower build quality in some areas.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 17:44

Car: MG 6 Magnette
The trouble with the new Mgs is the well documented quality issues, and despite what some 'enthusiastic' owners will try and tell you, some parts can be difficult to source with long lead times from China and are main dealer only. Fine if it is just down the road, but if its an hour or mores drive away, you will be struggling.
A good one is a decent enough car, but they are a lottery. A lot of owners sold up due to these issues at a dreadful loss.
Having said that, they are now cheap enough to have a punt at, as long as you bear in mind the spares situation. I have a second car available should mine need any more spares, having been bitten by that one.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 08:59

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
No quality issues on any of the 3 new MGs we've had in our household - just 1000s of trouble-free miles motoring.

Highly recommended.

The only problem that I have had with the new MGs is having people like MGNorman, pwinters, Brouwer, perry stalsis etc etc commenting on everything and it taking a lot longer to filter through their lies to actually find the information that I need.

I find it much better to use facebook these days.