this weeks autocar review - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 11:09 Thread Starter

Car: Saab 93 aero sportwagon ttid 180 & mg zr trophy se
this weeks autocar review

typical autocar review today which awarded the mg6 just 2 and a half stars despite basically admitting it is the best handling car in its class(although they appear to changing the goal posts now and are skillfully avoiding fords wrath by simply not mentioning the focus being beaten in that area now).

the low stars appear to come be based around the fact that the stereo buttons arent very substantial and the engine is a bit vocal at high revs.....never mind the fact that it rides beautifully too and it has more goodies for the price than anything else out there....there really wasnt anything else to critisise,so i cant imagine how they can justify the score.....

mg must really despair at crap articles like autocars when they constantly move the targets around to suit their pet bias's and snobbery and to keep their sponsors happy.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 12:53

Car: MG3 Style Lux
Interesting - the last Autocar review (unlike What Car?) was very positive...same journo or journo team now, different before?

I do remember the story that every journo who reviewed the original Mini got one free so the reports were not unbiased...
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 13:31 Thread Starter

yes,i was quite surprised by the low score as it didnt fit with the generally positive editorial..........i have gradually and sadly come to rather dislike autocar in general and find less and less to be interested in as time goes by.....

this is,after all,a mag that purports to place driving pleasure as the top measurement of assessment but when mg comes along with a car that is now top of the class in that respect,it gets 2.5 stars because it has a wobbly button on the stereo and the engine is slightly noisy at 7000 rpm.......i give up.

Last edited by jaffo; 24-03-2011 at 16:19.

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo View Post
yes,i was quite surprised by the low score as it didnt fit with the generally positive editorial..........i have gradually and sadly come to rather dislike autocar in general and find less and less to be interested in as time goes by.....

this is,after all,a mag that purports to place driving pleasure as the top measurement of assessment but when mg comes along with a car that is now top of the class in that respect,it gets 2.5 stars because it has a wobbly button on the stereo and the engine is slightly noisy at 7000 rpm.......i give up.
my engine makes a racket at 5000rpm!
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 18:21

Car: R75, 9-3
I saw the 2 statr review by What Car? which I think was unfair but I thought the AutoCar one was quite good.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 19:28

Car: Rover 75
I too spotted this new ish of Autocar with a nice bright orange MG6 on the cover.

I note yet again such reviews can be read through tinted and non tinted spectacles.

I note the ref to handling and it states the suspension "... developed from the old Rover 75" "....... make the the MG 6 spirited and willing performer - albiet one with a few rough edges " also ".... the 6s chassis which is quiet and supple yet still controls it body with unexpectedly sporting poise"

No mention of it being best in class or even comparing it to the clear leader in the shape of the new Focus so I dont know where that comparison appears.

The more worrying thing is that "... the interior doesnt stand up well to close inspection...with the plastics of the lower fascia are hard shiny and easily scratched...with a fit and finish thats poorer than is standard in Europe. Nitty gritty considering this isnt a cabin that'd ever get signed off on a Skoda"

I think its a pretty poor review thats bodes badly for how the car will be received by the motoring press.

Their sum up is the worst aspect...

"That could be disappointing if youre getting out of a Skoda Octavia or a Kia Cee'd let along a Ford or Vauxhall - which limits the MGs reach somewhat. However if youre a bargain hunter who likes a lively drive and dont mind giving up a few refinements you could find the MG6 a uniquely appealing car"

Essentially cheaply made and finished car that has been well finished of by MG UK. Wont match a Skoda or Kia for quality but hey its a cheap chinese car so what would you expect.

Except its got an MG badge on it and is being made and designed in England....
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 19:52

Car: CityRover
Send a message via AIM to Ex-MG Send a message via MSN to Ex-MG
Quote:
Originally Posted by forehead View Post
I too spotted this new ish of Autocar with a nice bright orange MG6 on the cover.

I note yet again such reviews can be read through tinted and non tinted spectacles.

I note the ref to handling and it states the suspension "... developed from the old Rover 75" "....... make the the MG 6 spirited and willing performer - albiet one with a few rough edges " also ".... the 6s chassis which is quiet and supple yet still controls it body with unexpectedly sporting poise"

No mention of it being best in class or even comparing it to the clear leader in the shape of the new Focus so I dont know where that comparison appears.

The more worrying thing is that "... the interior doesnt stand up well to close inspection...with the plastics of the lower fascia are hard shiny and easily scratched...with a fit and finish thats poorer than is standard in Europe. Nitty gritty considering this isnt a cabin that'd ever get signed off on a Skoda"

I think its a pretty poor review thats bodes badly for how the car will be received by the motoring press.

Their sum up is the worst aspect...

"That could be disappointing if youre getting out of a Skoda Octavia or a Kia Cee'd let along a Ford or Vauxhall - which limits the MGs reach somewhat. However if youre a bargain hunter who likes a lively drive and dont mind giving up a few refinements you could find the MG6 a uniquely appealing car"

Essentially cheaply made and finished car that has been well finished of by MG UK. Wont match a Skoda or Kia for quality but hey its a cheap chinese car so what would you expect.

Except its got an MG badge on it and is being made and designed in England....
Many reviews say that the new Focus is no longer class leader for driving, mainly as it uses EPAS and has been softened up to rival the Golf for refinement and it is a world car. I think the killer for reviews of the MG6 is the engine choices or lack of them, they should of used a HDI FAP engine or a VAG CR engines temporarily until their diesel engine is finished, and the MG6 needs more petrol choices. Problem having soft touch plastics at the bottom half is that they get more damaged from people getting in and out of the car, and they are not the parts that people touch, so Autocar and other reviewers are slightly harsh, this is what I have been saying for ages that reviewers won't like the hard plastics at all and they don't understand why hard plastics can be better then soft touch at the bottom.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 22:26

Car: Mazda 3
Haven't read the Autocar review yet (in the mag, anyway) - but the Evo roadtest is pretty good, with good pics too.

Basically, one of the best driving in its class (as most reviews seem to conclude) - but budget priced (and built, in some areas).
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 22:28

Car: -
That is why my money went on AutoExpress instead.

They also had a nice piece about Longbridge and one about upcoming models.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpending View Post
my engine makes a racket at 5000rpm!
Yeh and who wants to hear the sound of the engine in a sporty car anyway
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven211 View Post
Many reviews say that the new Focus is no longer class leader for driving, mainly as it uses EPAS and has been softened up to rival the Golf for refinement and it is a world car. I think the killer for reviews of the MG6 is the engine choices or lack of them, they should of used a HDI FAP engine or a VAG CR engines temporarily until their diesel engine is finished, and the MG6 needs more petrol choices. Problem having soft touch plastics at the bottom half is that they get more damaged from people getting in and out of the car, and they are not the parts that people touch, so Autocar and other reviewers are slightly harsh, this is what I have been saying for ages that reviewers won't like the hard plastics at all and they don't understand why hard plastics can be better then soft touch at the bottom.
I bet I could get in a Golf, a Focus or an Astra and put a scratch on the facings quite easily.
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 25-03-2011, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven211 View Post
Problem having soft touch plastics at the bottom half is that they get more damaged from people getting in and out of the car, and they are not the parts that people touch, so Autocar and other reviewers are slightly harsh, this is what I have been saying for ages that reviewers won't like the hard plastics at all and they don't understand why hard plastics can be better then soft touch at the bottom.
Part of the German journo road test now appears to involve the running of the finger along dashboard plastics...
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 25-03-2011, 13:42 Thread Starter

in their initial test of the mg6 autocar stated that the car was as good,if not narrowly better than the last gen focus in terms of handling and as the latest gen focus has been widely reported as being an inferior handler to its predecessor,i think we can deduce that the 6 is the better drivers car at the moment.....id like to see it tested against the focus,guiletta and golf with equivalent prices and specs to see if its dynamic abilities(not dashboard squashyness) including its ride are indeed superior......i doubt tho,that autocar would wish to publish the result as im convinced the 6 would be first in that dept and the focus last.........

Last edited by jaffo; 25-03-2011 at 13:47.
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 26-03-2011, 12:06

The comment was "good for a budget car"

Not sure how a 16k MG6 is in the same class as an 18-20k Astra or Focus.

I consider MG6 in comparison to Kias and Hyundais as these will be their customer base.
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 26-03-2011, 14:40
DEK

Car: Other Manufacturer
Unhappy

With regard to the What Car 2 star rating I'm not really surprised. I suppose with consumer-type magazine car reviews will inevitably consider the standards of the competitors. For the average punter who is going to splash out 16000 on a new car then things like running costs, reliability, residuals and servicing back-up are important. These are unknown variables with the MG6.

I don't think potential buyers are going worry too much about the arguments as to whether or not it handles better than the outgoing Focus.
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 26-03-2011, 15:10

Car: MG ZR
I wouldn't put too much faith in an Autocar review. It may be the world's oldest motoring magazine, but it's far from the most reputable these days. It's become somewhat known for publishing contradictory opinions on an almost weekly basis, varying star ratings, and moving the goalposts when it suits its editorial needs to do so.
post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 26-03-2011, 19:05

The best test of how good the car is or how it will be recieved will be how it sells until everything is just conjecture.
post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 26-03-2011, 19:48

Quote:
The best test of how good the car is or how it will be recieved will be how it sells until everything is just conjecture.
This is probably the first and possibly only time I will agree with you.
post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 26-03-2011, 20:17

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Indeed it would be good to have a great deal less hot air conjencture on here and adopt a wait and see attitude....can't see it lasting though..too many on here like bashing MG at any opportunity.
post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 26-03-2011, 20:25 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardK View Post
Indeed it would be good to have a great deal less hot air conjencture on here and adopt a wait and see attitude....can't see it lasting though..too many on here like bashing MG at any opportunity.
which is quite a surprise for a mg based forum....shouldnt we leave the bashing(but keep lively and healthy debate) to our ford/audi etc driving snobs?