Went to buy an MG6 today... - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 23-10-2012, 18:55 Thread Starter

Car: SAIC MG6 & Phoenix MG TF
Went to buy an MG6 today...

I received a call from a very professional sounding salesman from West Riding MG in Bradford today in response to an email enquiry I made at the weekend. He looked at a part-x deal for my 54 ZT135Cdti and came back with a figure I wasn't happy with. His demonstrator on the other hand was of great interest and after confirming that it was 174g/km CO2 version I arranged to make the 100 mile round trip to look it over, discuss further and purchase.

I arrived at the showroom that to my surprise had MG totems and signs proudly displayed. As expected the demonstrator was prominently parked in the car park looking gleaming in Arctic White. I was genuinely quite excited at this point, having said to my Dad on the way up "I just know I will buy it as soon as I drive it".

There were two used TSEs in the bright, clean and spacious showroom that is shared with Toyota but the brands are in very distinct halves. There was a Red pre reg SE GT in the carpark and what appeared to be two new MGs round the back still covered in the protective film from the factory.

I headed straight for the White demonstrator I had travelled to see and it looked everything I had expected it to from the internet pictures I have seen. The salesman joined us, tentatively guessing that we were his expected visitors.

I sat in the driving seat and tried to take everything in, the plastics seemed fine to me even the rotary wheels in the steering wheel were fine. My excitement upon seeing the exterior had gone though, this is no MGZT it has no ambience. I can still remember the excitement I felt when I first sat in a MGZT almost 10 years ago, the same excitement was felt by my Dad and over the following months we both bought new ones and I bought a new TF at the same time for the same reason.

Back to the exterior the doors shut with a nice clunk and the panel fit is superb. The paint appears to be better than pretty much every BMW I have ever seen (no orange peel effect). we sorted out the insurance for the test drive and due to the central Bradford rush hour traffic the salesman came along to guide us around.

The controls seem perfectly acceptable, everything where you expect it and positive in operation. I didn't test performance as it is of no interest to me. The car drives solidly without any noises and my Dad commented on how quiet it was, he does have a 190 though so he would.

I am a cash buyer and my Wife fully expected me to return with a new car, all I needed was for this car to set my pulse racing a little and I am so disappointed to say it didn't. It is a nice car in every respect I can't actually fault any aspect of it other than it didn't excite me. It could have been any car from any brand and it displayed no MG DNA to me.

We negotiated on price as this was now the only feature of the car that would secure a sale to me. There is no way I can give away my perfectly sound MGZT for 750, but that is apparently all it is worth. Even though this MG6 is very competitively priced we were 500 away from a price that would have had me sign there and then.

I am not saying I won't buy it tomorrow, after I have slept on it. I am not saying I won'y buy a different MG6 at some point in the next few weeks but I genuinely wish it had more to attract me than a low price and an MG badge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 23-10-2012, 19:11

Car: MG Magnette, MG Maestro x2, MG ZT and Rover 416GTi
Send a message via MSN to matthewsemple
Cool

Unless they are damaged or with very high mileage, 54-plate facelift MG ZT 135s are being offered for sale at between 3000 and 4000 on a regular basis. They are probably the most popular ZT (as reflected in the prices) and I suspect most vendors are fetching something near that kind of money.

So why would they think that you'd accept 750 for it?
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 23-10-2012, 19:18 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsemple View Post
Unless they are damaged or with very high mileage, 54-plate facelift MG ZT 135s are being offered for sale at between 3000 and 4000 on a regular basis. They are probably the most popular ZT (as reflected in the prices) and I suspect most vendors are fetching something near that kind of money.

So why would they think that you'd accept 750 for it?
Mine is 116k miles, never been crashed, never had any paint barely a stone chip (although front near side bumper has been scuffed). Usual patch on drivers bolster. It has climate, Parking sensors, webasto, Cruise control, Alcantara and GridSpokes. It is 8 years old and shows signs of wear but runs like a trooper consistently delivering 50mpg+ on my commute. No smole and no warning lights.

This dealer though is not interested in selling MG Rover cars, he openly stated that they would farm it straight out and that is the best price they were offered.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 23-10-2012, 19:47

Car: R75, 9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
It is a nice car in every respect I can't actually fault any aspect of it other than it didn't excite me. It could have been any car from any brand and it displayed no MG DNA to me.
I think sadly this sums up the MG6, and by the looks of it the MG3.

Where is the soul?

Its a nice car, I like them but I can't bring myself to part with a car I love for a car that I just like. The 75 has its oval dials and the ZT its sporting looks... alfa has the grill and red leather seats, BMW has its sharp drive what USP does MG have?

I feel like they have washed it out by trying to make it too main-stream, MG is not ford or vauxhall it can't and wont sell in the millions, they are drivers cars, they should look sporty and handle well and if they go fast and don't break down then its an extra.

Most of all an MG should be a car you look back at when you park it up, it should be a car you like to get into drive, a car you admire, not just a tool for A-B.

Rant Over.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 23-10-2012, 20:06

Car: 2 x MG ZT CDTI+ 135
Personally I would be looking to keep the zt you'll regret selling it or if you do fancy a MG6 for the price your getting offered for the zt I'd either keep it & run the 2 (if possible anyway) or sell private as you will get a lot more than what there offering.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 23-10-2012, 22:08

Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
Quote:
I am a cash buyer and my Wife fully expected me to return with a new car, all I needed was for this car to set my pulse racing a little and I am so disappointed to say it didn't. It is a nice car in every respect I can't actually fault any aspect of it other than it didn't excite me. It could have been any car from any brand and it displayed no MG DNA to me.

I am not saying I won't buy it tomorrow, after I have slept on it. I am not saying I won'y buy a different MG6 at some point in the next few weeks but I genuinely wish it had more to attract me than a low price and an MG badge.
Driving the MG6 in rush hour traffic will not excite you, but put it on a nice twisty country lane and it will come alive.

If you include the loan car I had on test for a month I have now owned an MG6 for a year and I nothing has changed my mind that it is a great car
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 23-10-2012, 22:24

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechicken View Post
Driving the MG6 in rush hour traffic will not excite you, but put it on a nice twisty country lane and it will come alive.

If you include the loan car I had on test for a month I have now owned an MG6 for a year and I nothing has changed my mind that it is a great car
Agreed. I started writing a lengthy response about the fact the ZT has a beautiful interior, the MG6 is much more function over styling etc etc etc, but the MG6 is a really good car to drive when you want to have a bit of fun etc etc etc. But you said it in the best way.

It is a great car. I went from specced up ZT CDTi 135+ to the MG6, and I get to see my old car on a regular basis as it's owned by my sister. And yes it was/is a beautiful car and it was great to drive too and it makes me look back at it as you walk away. But would I go back to the ZT from the MG6 now that I've had one for a little over 6 months? In a word "no". Not unless I needed to have a cheaper car for some reason. Given the choice of a lovely but ageing ZT or a still lovely if a little less "beautiful" modern MG6 I'd take the MG6 every time. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in a car. Given the chance, my MG6 would be my daily driver and I'd have a nice V8 ZT tucked away in my non-existent garage for those special occasions...one can but dream.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 09:32

Car: MG3 Style Lux
Autotrader is showing a range of 900-2500 sale price for apparently similar cars to your ZT diesel, though they may be accident free.

The "price to change" is the important thing for whatever car you look at, sale price less P/Ex. But 500 is not high - is it linked to the "3000 off" promotion? What would happen if you sold the ZT privately?

If a car does not float your boat, don't force yourself to buy it without more thinking. It's your decision - if those of us here who like/own MG6s say one thing and others say another, just make your own mind up. It's for you.

You should perhaps try other dealers and certainly look at other models, new and used, if you need a new car.

Or why not keep the ZT?

The Mk1 interiors are stunning IMHO. The Mk2 interior was a bit of a let-down - but I liked the interior of the MG6 in comparison with my memories of the B*W and the two Subarus I last test drove...
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 11:27

Car: Nissan Juke
Quote:
My excitement upon seeing the exterior had gone though, this is no MGZT it has no ambience. I can still remember the excitement I felt when I first sat in a MGZT almost 10 years ago, the same excitement was felt by my Dad and over the following months we both bought new ones and I bought a new TF at the same time for the same reason.
you thought the interior of a tf had ambiance? really?
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 12:02 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee* View Post
you thought the interior of a tf had ambiance? really?
You misunderstand me,
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj
My excitement upon seeing the exterior had gone though, this is no MGZT it has no ambience.
is a different statement to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj
I can still remember the excitement I felt when I first sat in a MGZT almost 10 years ago, the same excitement was felt by my Dad and over the following months we both bought new ones and I bought a new TF at the same time for the same reason.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 12:28

Car: 525d, T4 & MG ZR and half a ZS
Don't see the problem sell the Zt private for more than they was offering go back and get the MG 6 at an even lower price cash.
Second hand trade in values have gone right down tbh though.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 14:07
DEK

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner007 View Post
Don't see the problem sell the Zt private for more than they was offering go back and get the MG 6 at an even lower price cash.
Second hand trade in values have gone right down tbh though.
Totally agree.

I've done this in the past and got loads of calls via our local paper and sold it for a good price. It just makes the process of then going on to negotiate with the dealer that much more easy. That said, I bought my last car, a Civic, from a widely respected internet broker and probably got a better deal from that.

Incidently, I got roped in to a test drive in the new Civic when I was waiting for mine to be serviced at my local main dealer. The salesman was looking to get a sale by part exchange. He was also pushing this Scotch Guard protection thing and tried to make out that this increases the re-sale value. As mine didn't have this he implied that the part-exchange value of mine would inevitably be a little less. He also had automatically included the price of having the Scotch Guard applied to a new Civic in the cost of the new one he was trying to get me to buy - 600 I think, alot of which was commision for him. Do car salesmen think we're stupid! He obviously thought I was. I have say I was very curteous throughout and thanked him for the test-drive, not mentioning my thoughts about the Scotch Guard. I must be going soft. Not implying that MG salesmen do this, mind.

Has any body looked at MG6s on internet brokers like Drive the Deal. I think there are now some other good brokers.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 15:01

Car: .
Perhaps it would be worthwhile trying to get an extended test drive i.e. a good few days with one then you'll know for sure if it's for you. I believe this is possible from the MG Sales Centre if their sure you're are a strong sales prospect. You are right that the 6 isn't an instant grabber, it's a grower and takes a little while to get under your skin. But if you're serious about one but unsure I think spending a little more time with one is the only way to be sure.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 16:04

Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Quote:
I received a call from a very professional sounding salesman from West Riding MG in Bradford today in response to an email enquiry I made at the weekend. He looked at a part-x deal for my 54 ZT135Cdti and came back with a figure I wasn't happy with. His demonstrator on the other hand was of great interest and after confirming that it was 174g/km CO2 version I arranged to make the 100 mile round trip to look it over, discuss further and purchase.

I arrived at the showroom that to my surprise had MG totems and signs proudly displayed. As expected the demonstrator was prominently parked in the car park looking gleaming in Arctic White. I was genuinely quite excited at this point, having said to my Dad on the way up "I just know I will buy it as soon as I drive it".

There were two used TSEs in the bright, clean and spacious showroom that is shared with Toyota but the brands are in very distinct halves. There was a Red pre reg SE GT in the carpark and what appeared to be two new MGs round the back still covered in the protective film from the factory.

I headed straight for the White demonstrator I had travelled to see and it looked everything I had expected it to from the internet pictures I have seen. The salesman joined us, tentatively guessing that we were his expected visitors.

I sat in the driving seat and tried to take everything in, the plastics seemed fine to me even the rotary wheels in the steering wheel were fine. My excitement upon seeing the exterior had gone though, this is no MGZT it has no ambience. I can still remember the excitement I felt when I first sat in a MGZT almost 10 years ago, the same excitement was felt by my Dad and over the following months we both bought new ones and I bought a new TF at the same time for the same reason.

Back to the exterior the doors shut with a nice clunk and the panel fit is superb. The paint appears to be better than pretty much every BMW I have ever seen (no orange peel effect). we sorted out the insurance for the test drive and due to the central Bradford rush hour traffic the salesman came along to guide us around.

The controls seem perfectly acceptable, everything where you expect it and positive in operation. I didn't test performance as it is of no interest to me. The car drives solidly without any noises and my Dad commented on how quiet it was, he does have a 190 though so he would.

We negotiated on price as this was now the only feature of the car that would secure a sale to me. There is no way I can give away my perfectly sound MGZT for 750, but that is apparently all it is worth. Even though this MG6 is very competitively priced we were 500 away from a price that would have had me sign there and then.

Have to say David, and I respect your opinion of course, but if the only thing that in the end was the clincher was that 500 it sounds like you aren't actually bothered about ambience/style or DNA. Surely if you felt the car had none of those things why would you even consider it after a 500 price drop?

I'd stick to what you have and save thousands!
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 17:30

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
Id go for an extended test drive and see what you feel about it after that!

Also, its definitely better to sell yours privately and go in there with cash, you could end up making a saving over what you budgeted.
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 19:19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
Have to say David, and I respect your opinion of course, but if the only thing that in the end was the clincher was that 500 it sounds like you aren't actually bothered about ambience/style or DNA. Surely if you felt the car had none of those things why would you even consider it after a 500 price drop?

I'd stick to what you have and save thousands!
You are so right, it probably isn't the car for me. I need to shake off this loyalty to a badge and look elsewhere.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 19:29

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
Sadly, I dont think there are many cars available these days that have those things.

So bare the 6 in mind when you test driving another generic euro box.

that sounds like a dig but it isnt, I genuinely mean that cars these days just seem soul-less.

God, Im such a moaner sometimes haha.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 25-10-2012, 08:34

Car: CityRover
Quote:
You are so right, it probably isn't the car for me. I need to shake off this loyalty to a badge and look elsewhere.
Not that I am advocating buying a 6 in anyway, but equally I don't think you will find another brand new car for the same money that will be anymore exciting than the 6 is. Fact is most modern cars are dull, unless you spend lots of cash to get something more interesting then all you are buying is a box on wheels......
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 25-10-2012, 09:32

Car: 525d, T4 & MG ZR and half a ZS
What ever you do don't buy an insignia thing handles like its tires are made from Jelly.
Fine cruising down the motorway will return 50mpg all day long but throw it anything resembling a corner and it surrenders like a French army patrol.
Have one at the moment on hire so she's getting a good road test, trying to swap for a new Ford Mondullo now.
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 25-10-2012, 19:28
gots me a pair o' MGs

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner007 View Post
Fine cruising down the motorway will return 50mpg all day long but throw it anything resembling a corner and it surrenders like a French army patrol.
In all fairness for a car designed to be a mile-munching repmobile it is entirely fit for purpose!

One for summer: 2004 MG TF 135 in Firefrost
One for winter: 2002 MG ZS 120+in Solar Red