Went to buy an MG6 today... - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 25-10-2012, 21:09

Car: ROVER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner007 View Post
What ever you do don't buy an insignia thing handles like its tires are made from Jelly.
Fine cruising down the motorway will return 50mpg all day long but throw it anything resembling a corner and it surrenders like a French army patrol.
Have one at the moment on hire so she's getting a good road test, trying to swap for a new Ford Mondullo now.
Get the wheels aligned on your car, and check tyre pressure. I drove an Insignia demonstrator that was better than a Mondeo for handling, and not far off a BMW 3-Series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 25-10-2012, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
I received a call from a very professional sounding salesman from West Riding MG in Bradford today in response to an email enquiry I made at the weekend. He looked at a part-x deal for my 54 ZT135Cdti and came back with a figure I wasn't happy with. His demonstrator on the other hand was of great interest and after confirming that it was 174g/km CO2 version I arranged to make the 100 mile round trip to look it over, discuss further and purchase.

I arrived at the showroom that to my surprise had MG totems and signs proudly displayed. As expected the demonstrator was prominently parked in the car park looking gleaming in Arctic White. I was genuinely quite excited at this point, having said to my Dad on the way up "I just know I will buy it as soon as I drive it".

There were two used TSEs in the bright, clean and spacious showroom that is shared with Toyota but the brands are in very distinct halves. There was a Red pre reg SE GT in the carpark and what appeared to be two new MGs round the back still covered in the protective film from the factory.

I headed straight for the White demonstrator I had travelled to see and it looked everything I had expected it to from the internet pictures I have seen. The salesman joined us, tentatively guessing that we were his expected visitors.

I sat in the driving seat and tried to take everything in, the plastics seemed fine to me even the rotary wheels in the steering wheel were fine. My excitement upon seeing the exterior had gone though, this is no MGZT it has no ambience. I can still remember the excitement I felt when I first sat in a MGZT almost 10 years ago, the same excitement was felt by my Dad and over the following months we both bought new ones and I bought a new TF at the same time for the same reason.

Back to the exterior the doors shut with a nice clunk and the panel fit is superb. The paint appears to be better than pretty much every BMW I have ever seen (no orange peel effect). we sorted out the insurance for the test drive and due to the central Bradford rush hour traffic the salesman came along to guide us around.

The controls seem perfectly acceptable, everything where you expect it and positive in operation. I didn't test performance as it is of no interest to me. The car drives solidly without any noises and my Dad commented on how quiet it was, he does have a 190 though so he would.

I am a cash buyer and my Wife fully expected me to return with a new car, all I needed was for this car to set my pulse racing a little and I am so disappointed to say it didn't. It is a nice car in every respect I can't actually fault any aspect of it other than it didn't excite me. It could have been any car from any brand and it displayed no MG DNA to me.

We negotiated on price as this was now the only feature of the car that would secure a sale to me. There is no way I can give away my perfectly sound MGZT for 750, but that is apparently all it is worth. Even though this MG6 is very competitively priced we were 500 away from a price that would have had me sign there and then.

I am not saying I won't buy it tomorrow, after I have slept on it. I am not saying I won'y buy a different MG6 at some point in the next few weeks but I genuinely wish it had more to attract me than a low price and an MG badge.
Good honest opinion!

I'm not against the MG6 (I have not even driven one) but I am very picky, and I respect the seriousness of being selective when buying a car. You will spend a large part of your life sitting in your car, so it needs to be liked.

Similarly, my Rover 75 V6/180hp is worth next to nothing as a trade-in. Similarly, I have driven many new cars in search of a replacement. Similarly, I have (so far) dismissed each one because the new cars are not 75/ZT quality.

I recommend trying the Lexus 200CT. Its not going to put a massive grin on your face, but its low running costs and quiet drive will impress you. It didn't win my signature but on sensible costs it came closer than Jaguar and Mercedes. Jaguar was fun, but the upkeep made me feel like a mug.

I have not had a chance to try an MG6. Audi A4/A5 had me murmuring for a while, and I've ear-marked the Lexus 250 V6. I cannot yet decide, and as the owner of a comfortable 75 I have no need to rush.

Vauxhall, Ford, Land-Rover, Proton, Renault and BMW were dismissed in my tests which focused on driving. They were all inferior to an old 75/ZT for the physical qualities that matter to me (none of them lasted long enough for their costs to be considered).

P.S. Since starting my search for a new car, I bought a 2nd Rover 75 (diesel) for 500. My jaw drops when I think about how much you get with a 75/ZT these days. I also sneakily suspect that economic recessions are unlikely environments in which to discover new high-quality products..

Last edited by stormbind; 25-10-2012 at 22:03.
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 26-10-2012, 22:42

Car: MG ZT CTDi and R45 1.6SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbind View Post
Good honest opinion!

I'm not against the MG6 (I have not even driven one) ... They were all inferior to an old 75/ZT for the physical qualities that matter to me
You should at least have a go in ths MG6. They remind me of the 75/ZT in the way they drive and feel and they are the same sort of size and weight. Interior quality is good too in my opinion. Cheap plastics my @rs~.

The Car Shop are flogging 1 year olds for 9995 and Motorpoint have got an SE with 7K on it for 8995 so they becoming a bargain.

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 26-10-2012, 22:49

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
At least the 6 is exclusive.
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 27-10-2012, 09:28 Thread Starter

Car: SAIC MG6 & Phoenix MG TF
Well I walked away from the badge, had a quick look round didn't see anything I liked so bought an MG6... The dealer chased me and improved the deal sufficiently to tempt me to place the order, I collect it on the 6th.

I hate it when people post about doing a deal and then get all coy about the details, so I am happy to be totally open with you all - just ask. If it helps someone else weigh up the potential for them to get an MG6 then all the better.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 27-10-2012, 11:14

Car: MG ZT CTDi and R45 1.6SE
Good to hear that the dealer actually put some effort into it. The ones I tried wouldn't budge on price but that was a year ago so things may have changed.

Well done for having the bottle to ignore the doubters and enjoy your lovely new car!
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 27-10-2012, 15:11

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
I think you did the right thing mate!

Looking forward to seeing pictures!!
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 27-10-2012, 15:22 Thread Starter

It must have been destiny, on the 27th April 2012 I posted "a confession" that I wanted a low VED Magnette SE, but noted that the SE Magnette had been deleted as the low VED versions rolled out making it rare/nonexistent.

My new car was registered 3 days later on the 30th of April as a demonstrator at my nearest MG dealers and is a low VED Magnette SE. It then sat around for 5 1/2 months waiting for me to buy it!
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 27-10-2012, 15:52 Thread Starter

here is one of the Dealer photos..

post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 27-10-2012, 16:47

Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
Well done David, glad you got a good deal, I know you will enjoy it !

Look forward to seeing more pics when you have it
post #31 of 64 (permalink) Old 27-10-2012, 22:24

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Same here, hope you like matey.
post #32 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 10:30

Car: Rover 211 MG ZS 120 MG ZT 160T ZTT 120 MG3 Style MG ZS 180
Excellet choice and great colour. Can you pm me some details of the deal? My dad is looking into one to replace his 98 406. It's between a MG6, Insignia or Alfa 159.
post #33 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 11:26

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
This was a fantastic buy. Been watching this one my self for the last few months. Just six months old 12 plate with under 4k miles in the right colour for just 10,490. I guess 10k cash would have bought it. If it had been a GT model, I would have gone for it weeks ago!!

Check out this top spec TSE model. This is the best bargain about at the moment. I am tempted, but it's white I really want

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...?logcode=ucnnp
post #34 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 12:03 Thread Starter

The dealer had the car advertised on the internet for 10,490. Initially they offered me 750 Part-X for my car, and then they raised it to 800 stating that was the best underwritten price they could get, I walked away from the deal. I also offered 10k cash no Part-X but they refused claiming they could not reduce below the asking price.

The day before the MG Sales centre had offered me 950 Part-X against a new S, leaving 11,505 to change (taking into account the current offer which boosts the Part-X value by 2500):

MG6 GT S 15455.00
Part Exchange -3450.00
Deposit -500.00

Balance to finance 11505.00

First payment of 369.42
58 payments of 220.42
Final payment of 369.42

Interest over 60 months 1720.20
APR 6.8%

The first and final payments include a 149.00 set-up fee and final completion fee from GMAC - the finance provider.

So it was looking like my Part-X wasn't at the 1500 I had hoped. Two days later the dealer phoned me asking what I would pay to do the deal and I softened my position by 250 and offered 9250 + Part-X to change. As I don't require finance he couldn't use any commissions to improve the deal.

By the end of the day the Dealer came back with a revised offer of 9390 to change. The additional 300 coming from an underwritten third party source. At this point I offered to split the 140 difference with them, again being told that there was no money in this car at 10,490 and they couldn't even give me that!

So we were in a position where the Dealer had underwritten my Part-X to 1100, not reduced their price by one penny and I had upped my offer by the initial 250 + an extra 70. I wasn't happy that everyone else had upped their part of the deal except the dealer and was still prepared to walk away for 70.

I considered a few options that wouldn't cost the dealer much but would benefit me:

1st Service Free
2x filter service sets (so I can use a VAT registered garage for servicing)
Professional repair to the minor scuffs on the two front wheels.

I figured the one I would never get round to as the cost/benefit was so low was the scuffs on the wheels. I offered this as a solution to the impasse. The dealer called me back the following morning and agreed to the wheel repairs with 9390 to pay + Part-X. I paid the deposit and agreed the collection date to give them time to get the wheels sorted.

I have a space saver spare that will go with the Part-X car + a full size 18" Gridspoke wheel & tyre that I will sell to make some of the difference back.

Last edited by davidj; 28-10-2012 at 12:13.
post #35 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 12:07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZT Fan View Post
This was a fantastic buy. Been watching this one my self for the last few months. Just six months old 12 plate with under 4k miles in the right colour for just 10,490. I guess 10k cash would have bought it. If it had been a GT model, I would have gone for it weeks ago!!

Check out this top spec TSE model. This is the best bargain about at the moment. I am tempted, but it's white I really want

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...?logcode=ucnnp
Lexus Bradford had their two TSEs advertised at 10790 two weeks back, they have since put them up by 1000. I have to say the Grey Magnette looks great, the colour really shows the strong styling lines off. I did consider it but having an X-Power ZT & X-Power TF for the last 8 years I wanted a colour change. Give Mark a call, tell him I sent you and you want a 1k off .
post #36 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 12:17

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
Lexus Bradford had their two TSEs advertised at 10790 two weeks back, they have since put them up by 1000. I have to say the Grey Magnette looks great, the colour really shows the strong styling lines off. I did consider it but having an X-Power ZT & X-Power TF for the last 8 years I wanted a colour change. Give Mark a call, tell him I sent you and you want a 1k off .
Grey would be my last choice of colour. Plus it's a GT a prefer the look of. A White TSE or BTCC model would be my first choice, but the Union blue looks nice as does the Regal Red I have seen in the metal. I am tempted to order new, but when you can pick six month old examples up for under 11k, it makes sence to buy second hand and save 5k
post #37 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 12:28 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZT Fan View Post
Grey would be my last choice of colour. Plus it's a GT a prefer the look of. A White TSE or BTCC model would be my first choice, but the Union blue looks nice as does the Regal Red I have seen in the metal. I am tempted to order new, but when you can pick six month old examples up for under 11k, it makes sence to buy second hand and save 5k
Honestly the Grey suits the car and probably needs to be seen in the flesh to appreciate it. They also have a Red 12 Reg GT SE and I agree that colour suits well also, the Orange doesn't do it for me.

I can see the BTCC price coming in at 13500 - discounted for limited numbers to generate sales without harming future sale prices hence the reason it will be excluded from the offers.

I really need a diesel, but I can't get a decent sized diesel of this age/mileage/appointment for anything like this price, and that 3-4k premium I would have to pay will buy a lot of petrol and cover that higher Tax bill for a few years.
post #38 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-10-2012, 14:34

Car: .
Lovely looking car. Nice to see another forum member buying a new MG. I feel for the money it's virtually unrivalled in terms of equipment, handling and a decent turn of speed. For me the GT was the car of choice for practical reasons. I can see the attraction of the Magnette as well.
post #39 of 64 (permalink) Old 30-10-2012, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamseyMGR View Post
You should at least have a go in ths MG6.
It's not my choice.

I spend my office hours in Guildford, and there are no MG dealers within driving distance. It's a bit strange because Guildford has something of a "car dealer park" with practically every brand except MG. There's a dealer in Needham market, around the corner from my long-term residence in Suffolk, but its always shut when I'm available.

@ David, what is "better" about the MG6 when compared with your previous ZT?

Last edited by stormbind; 30-10-2012 at 20:53.
post #40 of 64 (permalink) Old 30-10-2012, 21:30 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbind View Post
@ David, what is "better" about the MG6 when compared with your previous ZT?
Now that is a very good question, I don't collect the car till next Tuesday and will be better able to answer then. As it stands at the moment it is more a case of what is better about the MG6 than any other car of this age/mileage/appointment and price.

Quite simply I can't find a car that compares. I would be looking at a Fiesta or small petrol Astra and the like. As good as they may be I want a more substantial car, to make me feel more secure, on my commute over the Pennines.