Went to buy an MG6 today... - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:13

Car: R75, 9-3
Any photos david? Is there anything you think is in the TSE model that you will miss not having?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 Thread Starter

Car: SAIC MG6 & Phoenix MG TF
Collection has been delayed untill tomorrow afternoon, I asked for the headlights to be adjusted up and an updated throttle map be installed plus on the PDI they discovered a weeping shock absorber (yes, yes, I know rinky dink) so that is to be changed before collection.

To be honest I would have been happy with an S but this was the most competetively priced post April 2012 MG6 I could find. I am happy to get Traficmaster back (I have missed that on my commute), cruise control and a leather steering wheel though.

One regret I may have is that I was expecting tyres for 17" wheels to be cheaper than 18" but that may not be the case DOH! I do like the twist of pepper wheels though .
post #43 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 17:43 Thread Starter

Said goodbye to my ZT and collected the SAIC MG6 today. Fueltank has been brimmed with 55.43 Litres of Supermarket unleaded and I set off on my commute at 5am tomorrow.

First impressions: The steering is superb, ride is better than my ZT (I have gone down a wheel size to 17" though) and handling initially seems to be a least as good. I will know better in 4 days when I have 430+ extra miles on the clock.

post #44 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 08:51

Car: MG ZT
That's good to hear

I'm considering the same upgrade (ZT to MG6 SE) because as great at the ZT is as drivers car, the ride is just too firm for most passengers...

What prices are you looking at for the 17" and 18" tyres? I'd have thought the 17's would have been cheaper, but I've been caught out recently on odd size 16's that cost nearly as much.
post #45 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 20:31

Car: MG3 Style Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
Said goodbye to my ZT and collected the SAIC MG6 today. Fueltank has been brimmed with 55.43 Litres of Supermarket unleaded
Nooo! don't take that risk with your new car!
post #46 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-12-2014, 15:45 Thread Starter

.......2 years and 37k miles later, incredibly my MG6 still works! Insurance is under £200 pa, the LPG conversion carried out in November 2013 still delivers an equivalent of 70 mpg and being a post April 2012 car it doubles my saving on road tax. Front tyres lasted 23,700 miles and were changed last January, they could have done more but I was concerned about my commute over the Pennines in bad weąther. Rear tyres have just been changed at 40,850 miles with the offside one still having 3mm of tread but nearside down to the wear indicator. I will keep the offside as a spare. Near side front also wears faster, I put it down to my exhuberent roundabout technique .

Nothing has broken or gone wrong with the car so far, it is booked in for a service with Maple Garage on the 4th February, despite being 70 miles away they have been an outstanding dealer, so much so I still use them despite now having 2 dealers within 15 miles of home.

I have no regrets about my purchase so far and look forward to the next 80k miles, it is just a shame that I have no internet forum where I can feel comfortable posting on a regular basis without being told how poor my car is.
post #47 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-12-2014, 15:56 Thread Starter

Oh, with regard to tyre cost, I paid £95 + £10 fitting each for Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres. A rated in the wet and B rated for economy. There was nothing to worry about after all.
post #48 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-12-2014, 18:11

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
Thats great news mate. Glad you are enjoying it.

My Mrs MG3 has just reached 10K miles and has been fantastic too.
post #49 of 64 (permalink) Old 29-12-2014, 16:12

Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
My ownership experience has been the same, 3 years, 20k miles and apart a couple of "kerb" marks on the alloys the 6 looks as new.

Our 3 has now done over 10k miles and apart from a couple of niggles when first purchased, these were put right in the first month of ownership.

As for depreciation on the 6 was offered over £7k for my Magnette against an Evoque Pure Tech, so lost £9k in 3 years, I am very pleased with this !

I agree David on the forum
post #50 of 64 (permalink) Old 29-12-2014, 16:32

Car: R75, 9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechicken View Post

As for depreciation on the 6 was offered over £7k for my Magnette against an Evoque Pure Tech, so lost £9k in 3 years, I am very pleased with this !
3k/yr is not bad at all!
post #51 of 64 (permalink) Old 17-10-2015, 05:33 Thread Starter

Three weeks early for this years update, but having just passed 55k miles earlier today it reminded me of this place.

I picked up a couple of spare Twist alloys early in the year which have made managing my tyre wear easier. So much so I haven't fitted any new tyres yet this year but I do have a pair of Rainmaster3 (A rated in the wet) I got them for a bargain price of £65 each and expect to fit them in late December.

MOT was uneventful.

Additional expense for the year are a pair of headlight bulbs for less than £5 from Euro car parts, I removed the bumper to fit them. A pair of Trico wipers of ebay for £8 delivered and that is it.

The LPG system has long since paid for itself and at 50ppl I am still getting an equivalent to 70mpg when compared to Asda unleaded without trying to drive economically.

Red finish on the "6" badge on the rear has fallen off as has the paint on one front parking sensor, other than that everything works reliably and as it should. I am fortunate enough to not be plagued with electrical issues that some (mostly TSE?) have.
post #52 of 64 (permalink) Old 17-10-2015, 12:41

Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
I normally change my car every 3 years but our 6 is just so good, I ended up selling the 3 instead.

I would have had a facelift 6 but lack of petrol and loss of some key features for me made me decide I would keep my 6, although I did hint that if I could have front sensors and a set of 18 inch alloys thrown in I would have had a white TL, but no one took the bait..

Glad you are still enjoying your 6 David :-)
post #53 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 15:09 Thread Starter

60200 miles and the front brake wear indicator lit up. Ironically later that same day my Mintex Brake Box (Mintex reference MDK0185) arrived containing disks & pads for the front! Great value at £39.60 delivered, this car continues to astonish me with its low running costs! I never had an issue with the OEM brakes but after the first 100 miles I have to admit the Mintex ones are superior.

My budget busting Lucas H7s were not such a good buy, one has already been changed and the second went on Monday morning. With the bumper coming off again I have opted for some Osram Nightbreaker unlimited which were £17 a pair delivered from Euro Car Parts. Hopefully they will last longer and provide more light as a bonus.

LPG down to 46ppl so it cost me just £92.00 to travel 1664 miles last month. 60k mile service is now due though so I expect that to be my first big bill since buying this car, then the MOT at the end of April!
post #54 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 17:33
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Good to hear positive feedback. Usually people come here with problems and moans...
post #55 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 14:22 Thread Starter

Thanks gnu but MG6 ownership isn't without it's frustrations, even for me. 1hour & 20 minutes to change two headlight bulbs is a joke, I am just glad I am in a position to remove and refit the bumper myself. I would hate that garage bill if I had to pay for it, although I am told this is not unique to the MG6 and afflicts many modern cars.

On the plus side the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 91Y tyres in 17" are a joy to travel on, lower noise and a smoother ride than my previous Efficient Grip Performance 91V tyres & the OEM fit Efficient Grip 91V. I am only a couple of thousand miles in so far but tread measurements show even wear so far at 32psi. I think they may have a little more roll in the bends, although that may be down to me carrying more in the boot these days. Either way it moves the MG6 closer to a Rover 75 ride than an MG ZT ride.

So I have new A Rated Tyres and Mintex disks/pads up front and some fancy 110% headlight bulbs (plus a sleeping bag in the boot) - bring it on Woodhead Pass & February weather I am ready for what you both can throw at me LOL..
post #56 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 00:14 Thread Starter

Hard to believe I have owned my MG6 for 4 years now, 73,000 miles covered with 53,000 on LPG. Although LPG is still 46ppl and will be till the new year at least, this year has been the most expensive so far.

The 4th year service is the "Big One" plus the LPG system needed new filters costing just over £400 in total! Then the Cam belt/tensioner/water pump etc got changed at 70,000 miles for another £250. I also bought a new battery in September, thinking my original one was the cause of a hesitant start. Turned out it was stale petrol (car still uses petrol to start and run for the first minute or so) that had been in the tank so long. £10 of Shell and starting was back to normal, but at least I now have a Battery with a 5 year warranty - that should see this car out!

The car itself is wearing very well, interior is still completely intact with nothing broken and the seats (SE so cloth seats) and steering wheel show no discernible wear. All the silver trim has kept its colour and finish even on the gear knob.

The exterior paint is excellent and other than a stone chip that was on the car when I collected it there are no noticeable chips in the paint work on the bonnet or bumper. The paint has flaked off one of the front parking sensors, MG agreed to cover it on warranty but the garage failed to get it done at the last service, guess I will end up living with it now.

Guess that is about it for this year, no more expected expense till the next set of tyres. The Uniroyal Rainsport 3 at 32psi (checked weekly) are wearing well and I will definitely be buying the same again.

Last edited by davidj; 10-11-2016 at 00:24.
post #57 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 18:26
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
A great writeup and a very encouraging one for anyone with concerns over the 6's longevity.
post #58 of 64 (permalink) Old 19-11-2016, 14:50
zor
Supporter

Car: MG TF and MG6 GT TSE
Like you I have just had my 4 year service done. The dealer gave me the option of having the coolant changed at the same time as recommended. That would have added £83 to a service bill of £333. I decided not to have it done but will do it myself. I guess it should be straightforward, at least not as problematic as doing our TF.
My car is performing as well as the original posters car. Except that my cruise control played up after two years and the ribbon cable was replaced. Other than that the car have behaved impeccably. Not bad for a car that only cost me £8k.

Zor
post #59 of 64 (permalink) Old 19-11-2016, 18:44
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Out of interest, what are parts costs like on the MG6? I've heard they are quite expensive compared to the original mg cars. For my zs, say from ECP (different brands available so not trying to start an "I got one cheaper for the zs" discussion here), I can get around the following prices, how does the 6 compare?

Oil filter £5
Air filter £7
Fuel filter £10
Brake pads £15-20
Brake disks £15-25
Sparks (each) £5<
Exhaust back box £65...

gnu
post #60 of 64 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 07:54

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
Good to hear that its going well mate - Ive just hit 60K in mine.

Had the cambelt, waterpump etc changed earlier in the year.

Fantastic car.

Although, recently, my ABS,Traction and Stability control warnings all lit up. Its booked in at Leicester MG on 16th December for that to be fixed and an mot.