6 month wait for my GS - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 10:27 Thread Starter

Car: Ginetta G4 & Jag S-TYPE
6 month wait for my GS

Hi all,

Long time absence since I sold my ZT back in 2011.

Was excited to return to the MG marque with the GS when I ordered one on 18th June.

Was given the line of 6-8 weeks, then pushed to Sept, then the dealer calls yesterday to tell me it will be December!

I ordered an Exclusive Manual in Orange with black leather as the baby wagon for our first child due end of Sept.

Interestingly the dealer said I could have Mocha or Silver with black leather in Sept, or if I wanted Orange with black leather for Sept it would have to be an auto! Otherwise I'll have to wait to Dec.

Dealer offered to refund deposit or sell me a Suzuki or Mazda instead....

Very disappointing and trying to get it unlocked via my friends in SAIC.

Will keep you posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 10:54

Car: Other Manufacturer
Not good. I guess they're having more demand for the orange ones than other colours, hence they've sold out the allocation?

I see you have a Ginetta G4? I love the look of those.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:14 Thread Starter

Hi,

Yeah it seems that way, except I was one of the first to order one

If it isn't resolved soon I'll take my money and spend it with a competitor, which is a real shame. The dealers are generally poor, and the factories attitude to selling cars in the UK is fairly crap too.

I have two Ginetta G4's, one for the road and the other a racer which I'm currently rebuilding. I also have a Ginetta G26 which I fool around with. Daily driver is a 2.7 TDV6 S-TYPE Sport.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:31
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoobymcboob View Post

If it isn't resolved soon I'll take my money and spend it with a competitor, which is a real shame. The dealers are generally poor, and the factories attitude to selling cars in the UK is fairly crap too.
Well, another nail in the dealership's coffin. How long can this continue?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 12:43

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
I ordered mine (Mocha Brown Exclusive DCT) on 19 June and was quoted 2-6 weeks. The car was delivered to the dealer on week 6 and I picked the car up on Tuesday.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 13:30

Car: MG TF 135 Spark
Quote:
Hi all,

Long time absence since I sold my ZT back in 2011.

Was excited to return to the MG marque with the GS when I ordered one on 18th June.

Was given the line of 6-8 weeks, then pushed to Sept, then the dealer calls yesterday to tell me it will be December!

I ordered an Exclusive Manual in Orange with black leather as the baby wagon for our first child due end of Sept.

Interestingly the dealer said I could have Mocha or Silver with black leather in Sept, or if I wanted Orange with black leather for Sept it would have to be an auto! Otherwise I'll have to wait to Dec.

Dealer offered to refund deposit or sell me a Suzuki or Mazda instead....

Very disappointing and trying to get it unlocked via my friends in SAIC.

Will keep you posted
Interested to see how this works out as that is the exact colour and model I am wanting to order on Monday. I take it you couldn't wangle more money off the deal if you were prepared to wait that long!!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 13:41

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
I didn't realise you can mix and match the interior with the exterior colour.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 14:39

Car: Rover 45
Mix and match colours.

The sales and marketing manager Matthew Cheyne says. you can choose the interior colour you prefer at the point of sale.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 14:40 Thread Starter

Glad you got your car as quoted.

I am not mixing the interior with exterior colour.

If you notice the website they now offer Orange with black leather to match what they are advertising on the website promo pics and TV, rather than cream as previous.

Specifications - MG GS - Models - MG Motor UK Ltd

I was also quite clear with the dealer when I ordered it on the 18th it had to be black leather. When he loaded the order system it specifically offered black leather.

The issue is they have every other vehicle combination available bar the one I requested and have prioritised other vehicles over mine in the build.

I hope to have this cleared soon but will update as I find out more.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 18:31

Car: CityRover
That's pretty poor lead time. That must be a very slow boat from China.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 18:51
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Only 700 for the UK market ATM. My 4trak was ordered from Japan and arrived in 4 weeks.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 19:22

Car: Other Manufacturer
It does seem like an odd setup, seems like they are using batch production rather than building to order? If they're taking a set number of each colour I suspect they will have over-demand of orange and find other colours like the gold with much less demand. The car's only been out a month or two so one spec being sold out until the end of the year already would be poor form.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 21:16

Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
Quote:
Hi,

Yeah it seems that way, except I was one of the first to order one

I have two Ginetta G4's, one for the road and the other a racer which I'm currently rebuilding. I also have a Ginetta G26 which I fool around with. Daily driver is a 2.7 TDV6 S-TYPE Sport.
I have ordered the same colour and specification ie Exclusive with black leather, and again was one of the first.

To be honest if I am told December,I will not be too fussed, the lead in time for a new F pace is 9 months and an Evoque is 6 months. I ordered my Nissan XTrail last year in June and did not get it until October, when the Renault Kadjar was launched last year 6 month waiting lists were quoted for the top model in a colour similar to night fire red, so I am not surprised.

Waiting lists can only have a positive effect on resale value, but I guess if you need it for September you will need to make a quick decision as I guess you will be faced with at least a 3 month wait unless they can supply from stock.

BTW I also own several plastic sports cars, in the shape of 3 Reliant Scimitars

Last edited by littlechicken; 05-08-2016 at 21:22.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbeneezerGoode View Post
It does seem like an odd setup, seems like they are using batch production rather than building to order? If they're taking a set number of each colour I suspect they will have over-demand of orange and find other colours like the gold with much less demand. The car's only been out a month or two so one spec being sold out until the end of the year already would be poor form.
The Renault Kadjar had 6 month waiting list when launched last year and the F Pace I have been told has a 9 month waiting list.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:51

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechicken View Post
The Renault Kadjar had 6 month waiting list when launched last year and the F Pace I have been told has a 9 month waiting list.
Ah but they are truly new cars and not sure how you could ever put the highly anticipated F-Pace in the same category as an underwhelming GS. The GS is not new, only new to UK, and SAIC are not expecting it to have high sales in the UK either.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Ah but they are truly new cars and not sure how you could ever put the highly anticipated F-Pace in the same category as an underwhelming GS. The GS is not new, only new to UK, and SAIC are not expecting it to have high sales in the UK either.
Some would argue an F Pace is just a restyled Land Rover Model, and the Kadjar, a Qashqai?

Just pointing out other car manufacturers have waiting lists, it is not a big deal.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 14:56 Thread Starter

Hi all,

The issue with the lead time is it changing from 6 weeks to 6 months from original order date.

If they quoted me 6 months in the first place that is different, and I could have made a different decision at the time.

Also, comparing to JLR is apples and oranges. JLR build cars to order whilst SAIC it seems are batch building hence why I can have several other combos earlier.

Never mind, in the mean time I'll just install Isofix points in the Ginetta whilst Matthew Cheyne hopefully helps out with my order
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 14:52 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Good news to report

MG have unlocked my order and I will be receiving my GS in mid Sept.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 23:21

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Good news to report

MG have unlocked my order and I will be receiving my GS in mid Sept.
Good to see that we've finally found a use for Matthew Cheyne.
GSi likes this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 13-08-2016, 06:48

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
Quote:
Hi all,

The issue with the lead time is it changing from 6 weeks to 6 months from original order date.

If they quoted me 6 months in the first place that is different, and I could have made a different decision at the time.

Also, comparing to JLR is apples and oranges. JLR build cars to order whilst SAIC it seems are batch building hence why I can have several other combos earlier.

Never mind, in the mean time I'll just install Isofix points in the Ginetta whilst Matthew Cheyne hopefully helps out with my order
You cant compare a product from JLR to a Chinese production vehicle anyway that's silly. Don't mean to be rude but I have no interest in any new MG models but I gotta see some pictures of the Ginetta G4 if you can sometime please