Auto Express review of the MG GS - MG-Rover.org Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 07:21 Thread Starter

Car: Seat Ibiza
Auto Express review of the MG GS

Auto Express review the MG GS and rate it 3 stars:

<Quote>

The MG GS will mainly be bought on value for money, and that's definitely its strongest point - it even comes with a 5-year manufacturer warranty. If you're desperate for a good value crossover, the SsangYong Tivoli will probably be a better choice, though. It's not as big, nor is it as good to drive as the MG. However its punchy and efficient diesel, available at comparable prices to the MG's petrol, will be the biggest thorn in the MG's side.

Verdict

The MG GS is an SUV that offers plenty of practicality and equipment at a low price. It’s also comfortable and good to drive in town. MG’s SUV is let down by its engine, however, as there's only one on offer: a petrol that can only manage 46.3mpg. The boot is fairly small too - and if that's not an issue for you then you might as well move down to the even-better value SsangYong Tivoli.

</Quote>

New MG GS 2016 review | Auto Express

Cheers..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 12:13

Car: MG ZT+ CDTi 135
You can't win with these journalist:

Diesel cars could face tax hike to cut air pollution | Auto Express

Not everyone wants a diesel - having recently become a petrol 'convert' we should make your own mind up. The old rule still stands true:

Lots of miles = diesel, Low miles = petrol.

AL
skeleboy likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 12:32 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Not everyone wants a diesel - having recently become a petrol 'convert' we should make your own mind up. The old rule still stands true:

AL
I'm also trying to avoid buying a diesel for my next car but trying to find one with an automatic and a petrol engine isn't easy.

The problem for me is that I'd have to spend close to 21000 on the Exclusive model to get the DCT which is a lot of money for a car which isn't even going to do 4000 miles a year.

Cheers..

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 14:28

Car: Other Manufacturer
Suzuki do a Vitara with a 1.4 Turbo and Auto. It's the same money as the MG new but it's been around a year or so so might be some deals on ex-demos?

Quote:

AL
Other manufacturers actually give you the choice within their lineup though.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 16:25

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
The reviews generally seem to have awarded it a half decent score - 3/5 seems to be the norm. With some giving it a more positive spin in the write-up than others.

Evo magazine are the ones that I always listen to as they seem to value dynamics over MPG.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 17:34

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferdog1 View Post
The reviews generally seem to have awarded it a half decent score - 3/5 seems to be the norm. With some giving it a more positive spin in the write-up than others.

Evo magazine are the ones that I always listen to as they seem to value dynamics over MPG.
Evo is an amazing magazine but I'm not sure I they'll be interested in a GS, only really proper cars in that mag
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 17:47 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbeneezerGoode View Post
Suzuki do a Vitara with a 1.4 Turbo and Auto. It's the same money as the MG new but it's been around a year or so so might be some deals on ex-demos?

Other manufacturers actually give you the choice within their lineup though.
I had been looking more at the SX4 S Cross as it is a slightly larger car than the Vitara but the car only comes with the 1.6 litre non turbo engine which isn't as good as the 1.4 litre turbo.

However it all may be moot as it could be the case that I'll end up looking at the Kia Carens because of the extra 2 seats in the back though the auto only comes in diesel form.

Cheers..
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 18:11

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattykan View Post
I'm also trying to avoid buying a diesel for my next car but trying to find one with an automatic and a petrol engine isn't easy.

The problem for me is that I'd have to spend close to 21000 on the Exclusive model to get the DCT which is a lot of money for a car which isn't even going to do 4000 miles a year.
DW did buy a new VX Mokka 1.4T Exclusiv automatic back in November for 16k. A lot of car for not a lot of money and a lot of standard kit too.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 21:17
MGM

Yes, my mother got a Vauxhall Mokka last year, top Spec model for 24k, pricier than the GS but comes with more as standard. Base model even comes with 'roof rails' and DAB radio as standard. Anyway, going back to GS. Car reviewers give pretty shoddy reviews these days if A) it isn't a VW or VW group car, and B) if it doesn't have "lots of soft touch plastics". From what I've seen of the GS it seems good, decent engine, looks good and holds its presence nicely. MG have improved greatly with this model, and should be praised. Hoping it sells well for the brand, and dealers especially deserve it. However, I don't see many swapping their Juke or cashcow. (Juke in my experience is an awful car)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 17-06-2016, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
Evo is an amazing magazine but I'm not sure I they'll be interested in a GS, only really proper cars in that mag
MG GS review - prices, specs and 0-60 time | Evo
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 17-06-2016, 22:58

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferdog1 View Post
Still no mention of it in the magazine yet
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 13:00

The guy writing that review seems bored. Like a colleague has been sent to review the new Porsche somewhere sunny whilst he's doing that. Unfortunately, the people looking for a sensible, spacious crossover will be more likely to consult What Car or Auto Express than Evo.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 15:14

I have literally just test drove a DCT version and generally agree with most of the reviews so far.

DW has a Mokka 1.4T auto so I have some sort of yardstick to compare the GS with and the Mokka is very refined. The GS engine is very thrashy and noisy compared to the Vauxhall. The suspension is much stiffer. I can see why the reviews commented on the cheap plastic and it does look and feel cheap especially the driver's armrest area.

The infotainment system does have a very simple design and the boot doesn't look overly big considering it is a bigger car than the Mokka. The switches such as for the electric windows do not feel quality.

But there are many positives to me, the size of the car is good and the DCT with flappy paddle is also good with quick change. The cream leather interior is very plush. The build quality looks good with no cabin squeaks or rattle.
EbeneezerGoode likes this.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 15:16

Car: Rover 75
Quote:

AL

I've a feeling they could be right about diesel being made a scapegoat to hike the tax on it.

The UK is in line for record fines from the EU commission for going over emission levels in 2015 & 2016. in fact it took just the first
8 days of 2016 for London to go over it's whole years agreed CO2 emission levels

Last edited by skeleboy; 18-06-2016 at 15:21. Reason: corrected info
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleboy View Post

The UK is in line for record fines from the EU commission for going over emission levels in 2015 & 2016. in fact it took just the first
8 days of 2016 for London to go over it's whole years agreed CO2 emission levels
More money for us to send to the EU that we'll never see anything for.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 15:29

Car: Rover 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNorman View Post
More money for us to send to the EU that we'll never see anything for.

Exactly, I think they'll bring the big emission stick out when the voting is over for Brexit if we decide to remain in the EU.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
I have literally just test drove a DCT version and generally agree with most of the reviews so far.

DW has a Mokka 1.4T auto so I have some sort of yardstick to compare the GS with and the Mokka is very refined. The GS engine is very thrashy and noisy compared to the Vauxhall. The suspension is much stiffer. I can see why the reviews commented on the cheap plastic and it does look and feel cheap especially the driver's armrest area.

The infotainment system does have a very simple design and the boot doesn't look overly big considering it is a bigger car than the Mokka. The switches such as for the electric windows do not feel quality.

But there are many positives to me, the size of the car is good and the DCT with flappy paddle is also good with quick change. The cream leather interior is very plush. The build quality looks good with no cabin squeaks or rattle.
Always good to have a review from an enthusiast rather than a hard nosed journalist. I am possibly going to have a look in a couple of weeks but the one I would want is the 21,000 one and I am not as keen at that price. Would be looking at a discounted V40 R-Design for the same kind of money.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 19:54

Out of interest, how much were you hoping to pay for the DSG model?

I thought it was priced well but a few people have said it's too expensive.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 01:23

Not hugely cheaper, more like 1,000-1,500. There are big gaps between the specs (2,500 between Explore and Excite, 2,000 from Excite to Exclusive) that could be narrowed a bit and maybe the two lower specs could have a few more toys (no satnav on the mid-level one?).

Going above 20,000 is a psychological thing, maybe it's deliberate as they want to take MG into new territory but I think places it as steeply priced in some people's minds where 19,995 isn't even though it really isn't that big a difference. As it is, people will look at what else they can get and where budget or smaller crossovers (Ssangyong Tivoli, Dacia, Suzuki Vitara etc) are priced.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 07:55

I'm all ready to buy the DCT model having had the test drive. Again like you at 21k I thought it's a little over and should be sub 20k. The first dealer I went to wouldn't budge on price at all. Will be visiting another dealer today.