GS Interior - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By James Riley
  • 1 Post By James Riley

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 00:10 Thread Starter

Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
GS Interior

I noticed at the Motorshow launch they displayed a car with some leather trim on the central dash area, this seemed to suggest they'd made an effort to lift the feel of it from the chinese car.

However, there are not a number of them on Autotrader from dealerships and none of the models, including top spec, have this trim on them?

Seems rather odd they'd finally show the car to impress but launch with the same chinese spec?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 07:15

Car: MG 6 Magnette
I noticed this as well. It was one of those little things that helped lift the car.

When they launched the MG3 the demo models had the MG6 gear knob, however when deliveries started they were fitted with the horrible one we all know now.

There also seems to be various cars out there with trim colours that do not match the official spec. I have seen Orange cars with black leather instead of cream. (probably better than the official cream). Silver cars with cream leather rather than black (probably worse than black).

I was looking forward to the cream leather. However, MG don't seem to know what the best colour combination is. I hate the ***** brown colour option and don't like black cars, so the only choice for the cream leather is orange. While I like the orange colour, most people would suggest orange and black is the better combi! The strange decisions go on!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 07:37

Car: MG6, Stepway, XF
really? That seems very surprising considering that the GS had a fairly big presence on the floor show...

Maybe the initial batch wont have.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 12:52

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
Seems rather odd they'd finally show the car to impress but launch with the same chinese spec?
In cases it is less that Chinese spec. The exterior number chrome and exhaust trim all missing on UK models. Push button start also not available in UK trim.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 21:05

Well spotted. The back of the UK car looks pretty poor compared to the Thailand spec cars. You would have thought we might get at least the same as the china cars for 21K ! Makes you wonder what else is considered unnecessary and left off the UK cars!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroman View Post
Well spotted. The back of the UK car looks pretty poor compared to the Thailand spec cars. You would have thought we might get at least the same as the china cars for 21K ! Makes you wonder what else is considered unnecessary and left off the UK cars!
Other colour choices that Thailand have that UK don't are black roof with white or orange.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 22:05 Thread Starter

Check the interior of this GS in Dubai, not just cream seats but cream dash and door trim - looks so smart, why on earth do we not have this choice in the UK, it lifts the interior immeasurably

skeleboy likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 23:31

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Check the interior of this GS in Dubai, not just cream seats but cream dash and door trim - looks so smart, why on earth do we not have this choice in the UK, it lifts the interior immeasurably
Agreed. Looks nice, that.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:24

Much better interior and has the chrome bits on the back. The door panels in particular are needed to balance the seats.

Why oh way does the UK get some kind of mutant version of the car, with a lower spec than the rest of the world!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:36

Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
Quote:
Much better interior and has the chrome bits on the back. The door panels in particular are needed to balance the seats.

Why oh way does the UK get some kind of mutant version of the car, with a lower spec than the rest of the world!
Because we only look at MG products as cheap cars because of the China connection?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:15

Quote:
The cream door trim looks about the same as UK but the dash certainly different.

Personally I don't think they should have touched the exterior and interior of the car for the UK market. They just had to fettle the handling and ride characteristic to suit UK and it will be ready to go.

Another minor exterior difference spotted, overseas cars have shark fin aerial whereas UK has an actual aerial.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 22:11 Thread Starter

Have been to see the Mitsubishi ASX and the Suzuki Vitara today.

What strikes me is the number of reviews criticising the MG for its interior quality and more specifically the use of hard plastics throughout.

The strikes me as odd given just how many cars adopt the same approach. Today's cars are no different, neither had a soft touch plastic anywhere inside the cabin.

Suzuki Vitara

This is an interesting one because it looks keenly priced in some spec but is quite poorly kitted out unless you venture into the 22k+ price range. Even from 20 yards it has a cheap look to the exterior and looks rather ungainly from most angles. Step inside and you are met with a horrible mix of ancient plastics, carry-over switches that look to have seen service since the 1980's and flimsy and totally un-styled fixtures and fittings, from the door handles to the radio to the switches and indicators. It's truly a terrible cabin, devoid of any styling features, very slab-like and black. The 'leather' look seats are terrible, ill-fitting covers with ripples and bubbles everywhere. The doors have absolutely no weight to them at all and shut with a hollow, tinny sound. I walk away form this car, having had some hope that Suzuki would not let us down, completely deflated. The interior is one of the worst I've seen in ages and, frankly, astounding that it managed to get into production looking the way it does.

Mitsubishi ASX

From the outside this is a very bland car, the overall shape is ok but the branding makes it look like one of those de-badged cars they use in insurance adverts. Like a ghost of a real car. Not particularly unattractive but nothing on the GS in the exterior looks department. Step inside and it feels a little better than the Vitara, but again, there is not one soft-touch plastic anywhere inside. What is very noticeable over the Vitara is that they have at least tried to style the interior, fixtures and fittings looks like they've been specifically made for this car rather than the parts bin effort of the Vitara. There is generally much more attention to detail and whilst hard, the plastics do not feel particularly cheap. A significant improvement over the Vitara in every respect, again, quite expensive when venturing into the better spec.

So here are at least another two cars that I think the MG can more than hold its own against. For showroom appeal, it wipes the floor with both. It's possibly questionable whether it can hold it's own on the the under the skin stuff, Suzuki do make great engines and are well proven, Mitsubishi I'm never sure whether they are good or bad, it seems they seem to be in the news for one scandal or other.

I read an Express review of the GS today Nat Barnes: MG GS crossover review | Cars | Life & Style | Daily Express and it was slated throughout, interestingly this same publication reviewed the Vitara and never once mentioned the interior at all...?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:03

Apologies, I was wrong, we do get the cream door panels, just not the dash. I do agree with the comments on the interior being better than the road tests suggest. While it lacks the quality of the best, it is certainly not the cheapest looking interior out there. I think the road testers are a bit lazy in this regard, going into each test with preconceived ideas.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:45

Car: rover 75 2.5 (LPG) & TF 160
I personally don't really get the whole soft touch plastic thing. we have had a pug 3008 for 3 years now and I can honestly say I have never stroked, nuzzled or caressed the dashboard, not once. its a great car, nice place to be, works well and has never done less than 550mls to a tank no matter how you push it. sure its no looker and as its the 1.6 hdi auto you are never going to win the traffic light grand prix but you can get off the euro tunnel set the cruise at 85 mph and it will do that fully loaded all the way to the south of france fully loaded and return 44mpg. that's what I want out of a car.

If the gs can come close to that it will be in for serious consideration.

Come to think of it I don't think I have stroked the TF or the 75 either!

Must be something wrong with me.

Richard
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 14:29

Quote:
I think the road testers are a bit lazy in this regard, going into each test with preconceived ideas.
That's because they saw the MG badge on the bonnet and steering wheel before they have settled in.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 09:35

Car: Ginetta G4 & Jag S-TYPE
Hi all,

I noticed in the GS accessory list the leather cubby box lid and console hockey sticks are a 299.99 option

Does anyone know if they come as standard on the top spec Exclusive?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoobymcboob View Post
I noticed in the GS accessory list the leather cubby box lid and console hockey sticks are a 299.99 option

I should know this as I have an Exclusive. The cubby box lid is I believe faux leather as I don't recall seeing the stitching. The console hockey stick is hard plastic. Seeing photos it looks nicer all wrapped in leather.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 13:52

Car: Ginetta G4 & Jag S-TYPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
I should know this as I have an Exclusive. The cubby box lid is I believe faux leather as I don't recall seeing the stitching. The console hockey stick is hard plastic. Seeing photos it looks nicer all wrapped in leather.

Thanks!

Having reviewed the website the links to the GS accessories now redirect to MG3... but if you click 'Extra Accessories' the leather interior pieces are now advertised at 249.99

After reading a few threads here I'd love to know if the boot storage tray would fit over the full size spare or whether it only fits over the space saver... Will have to pick the brains of the dealer.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 14:16

Quote:
Having reviewed the website the links to the GS accessories now redirect to MG3... but if you click 'Extra Accessories' the leather interior pieces are now advertised at 249.99

After reading a few threads here I'd love to know if the boot storage tray would fit over the full size spare or whether it only fits over the space saver... Will have to pick the brains of the dealer.
Quite a few options you are planning to have. I didn't opt for any spare wheel. The accessories links do seem to have been screwed up but I have already saved a PDF version on my computer. I have added mud flaps on mine which looks much better combining with the side steps.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 18:10 Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi all,

That's disgraceful - so something that would so easily lift the perceived quality of the cabin immeasurably and something they have been displaying in press cars now turns out to be an option - despite making a big thing about the simplicity of the line-up.

249 is also a disgrace. It's exactly this sort of penny-pinching that a brand like MG can well do without.
obadiah-jones likes this.