GS test drive - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 19:42 Thread Starter

Car: MG6 GT TSE - DTi
GS test drive

I had a test drive in an MG GS Excite today, courtesy of Coventry MG.
Currently I drive an MG 6 TSE diesel which is an absolute dream to drive and has brilliant performance so I was a little apprehensive about my test drive today as the GS is only powered by a 1.5 litre turbo petrol engine.
I need not have worried as the performance of the GS was phenomenal and very responsive.
Huge boot/rear space with space for full size spare wheel, if toolkit is removed. Rear seats fold completely flat. In car entertainment is good with DAB radio, bluetooth phone connection too.
Seating position is high with plenty of adjustment for height/angle/position.
I was well impressed with this motor and well done MG for producing a superb motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 19:58

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
That's great to hear mate, I too was a little bit apprehensive about the whole SUV with a 1.5.

Did it feel sporty to drive? Was it comfortable or too firmly sprung?

I can't believe it but I might be starting to consider one - and I've never liked SUVs.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 21:40

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
I had a test drive today too in the Exclusive auto. I wrote a little review on another thread. The suspension is definitely a lot stiffer so it is more bumpy. The engine does feel eager but it is not very refine and becomes very noisy. The dual clutch auto is brilliant with the flappy paddle. The cream leather interior is very plush.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gord View Post
Huge boot/rear space with space for full size spare wheel, if toolkit is removed.
I didn't think the boot is that large especially the width is very limited. That toolkit I thought is a waste of space.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 19:05

Car: CityRover
Did you notice if the GS had a variable speed limiter?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Did you notice if the GS had a variable speed limiter?
According to the brochure, it has "speed warning selectable, auible".
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 19:52

Thanks but I guess that is in the satnav and doesn't actually limit the speed of the car. I'm so used to having now would struggle to buy a car without it. Looks like there is space on the steering wheel for the buttons if they ever added it. Most Nissans, LandRovers, Volvos etc have it now
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Thanks but I guess that is in the satnav and doesn't actually limit the speed of the car. I'm so used to having now would struggle to buy a car without it. Looks like there is space on the steering wheel for the buttons if they ever added it. Most Nissans, LandRovers, Volvos etc have it now
Not something I looked at when I had a test drive but it does look like from the brochure that it is just an auible warning. The brochure says it is available on all trims so it won't be based on satnav as lower trims do not come with satnav.

The work's Ford Focus has the speed limiter too. Whatever you do to the accelerator pedal the car will not go above the set speed so I know what you mean. I tried it a few times to test out and I didn't like the feeling of it.

I don't actually like the look of the cruise control settings on the GS, the controls are on an extra stalk below the indicator stalk. Yet there are unused blank buttons on the right side of the steering wheel.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 20:33
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
Most reviews I have read of the GS criticise the car for the size of the boot and this photo is evidence as to why it's so small.

MG have scored an own goal by raising the boot floor to achieve a flush loading lip and flat folded seat floor, but then not creating a proper hidden compartment beneath that is common in many rivals. Clearly a result of poor thinking or cost cutting. At least there is actually a useable void beneath the boot floor.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 20:35

It's not wasted space..it should have a spare wheel in then it would be full. But spare wheels are rare these days
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 20:44

That foam container box containing the tow hook, can of goo and locking wheel nuts use up a lot of space in the spare wheel well and it is not necessary if some extra thought have been taken.

DW's Vauxhall Mokka have all the equipment stowed to the side of the boot in little compartments and this made the whole spare wheel well usable and it is also carpeted inside.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Most reviews I have read of the GS criticise the car for the size of the boot and this photo is evidence as to why it's so small.
Here is a photo of the boot

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 20:50

Quote:
Not something I looked at when I had a test drive but it does look like from the brochure that it is just an auible warning. The brochure says it is available on all trims so it won't be based on satnav as lower trims do not come with satnav.

The work's Ford Focus has the speed limiter too. Whatever you do to the accelerator pedal the car will not go above the set speed so I know what you mean. I tried it a few times to test out and I didn't like the feeling of it.

I don't actually like the look of the cruise control settings on the GS, the controls are on an extra stalk below the indicator stalk. Yet there are unused blank buttons on the right side of the steering wheel.
Thanks nearly all the cars I drive have it..use it much more than cruise control. It's very handy in avg speed camera areas and generaly muttering around and ensure you dont get flashed.

Agreed there is space on steering wheel for cruise and a speed limiter. I had a Merc GLC and that had an extra stalk I kept using the indicators accidentally
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 20-06-2016, 15:32

Car: Audi TT 225 Quatrro
I had my first test drive of one in the UK guise with full confirmed "UK" specification.

Ive not got a clue whats changed in 18months. Apparently nothing, other than the deletion of the the TDI option.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 20-06-2016, 15:45

Car: Seat Ibiza
Once again we get less stuff than the Chinese do

Quote:
I didn't think the boot is that large especially the width is very limited. That toolkit I thought is a waste of space.

The Chinese version has an underfloor tray as well as a space saver wheel.

This must have been done by MG Motor U.K to either save weight and/or costs.

I wonder if a spare wheel and tray are an optional extra?

Cheers..
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 20-06-2016, 15:47

Car: Seat Ibiza
Tgi = sge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay13 PNTHR View Post
I had my first test drive of one in the UK guise with full confirmed "UK" specification.

Ive not got a clue whats changed in 18months. Apparently nothing, other than the deletion of the the TDI option.
The TGI engine in the GS sounds like it has been degraded from the GM used version because wasn't the engine designed from the outset to have reduced NVH?

Cheers..

Last edited by mattykan; 20-06-2016 at 17:19.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 21-06-2016, 11:18
MGM

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
That foam container box containing the tow hook, can of goo and locking wheel nuts use up a lot of space in the spare wheel well and it is not necessary if some extra thought have been taken.

DW's Vauxhall Mokka have all the equipment stowed to the side of the boot in little compartments and this made the whole spare wheel well usable and it is also carpeted inside.
My mother has a mokka, and the boot is quite versatile. However, a downside to the compartment is when a RAC call out mechanc snaps the hinges, leaving it to roll about the boot floor!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 15-07-2016, 14:14

Car: MG TF 135 Spark
Contacted the nearest MG dealer to where I live which is still about 33 miles away in Nelson, Lancashire (Steve Durkin MG) to enquire if they had the GS in for a test drive. Salesman stated they are still waiting delivery from MG and couldn't give a date when they would have one. He reckoned he had the names and numbers of a dozen potential clients to contact when they eventually get one in.

Not sure how many MG dealers out there are still awaiting their first delivery of the GS but MG Motors really need to get their fingers out!! and secondly vastly increase the number of MG dealerships as they are few and far between. For MG to increase sales they really need to address these problems quickly
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 15-07-2016, 23:11

Car: MG ZS Mk II
The fact that some dealers have still not got demonstrators is an absolute blinkin' shambles!
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 17-07-2016, 22:46

Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
I went to Eric Stead in Sheffield and they had one, top spec but manual, said were waiting until August/September for any more. Annoyingly, we have a 'coming soon' dealer in Bradford which is a few miles away, no mention anywhere either on their website or on MG's that they are open, drove past the other day, no signage - still just KIA, but they had a bloomin GS parked outside! I needn't have trailed 30 blinking miles after all.

This is the car they should have had stocked at the dealers, in multiple colours and interior trims - thats how you sell cars surely.

Saw the Renault Kadjar TV advert shortly followed by the MG GS earlier - the MG (advert not the car) looks diabolical in comparison so it's just as well there are no GS in dealer stock as no-one will be rushing there anytime soon.

Last edited by James Riley; 17-07-2016 at 22:52.