GS test drive - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 07:56
MGM

Car: Other Manufacturer
Central garage Galashiels didn't have one when I went past last weekend, an utter shambles that not everyone dealer has a demonstrator, and it's not as if the dealer network is vast and expansive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 08:09

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
I went to Eric Stead in Sheffield and they had one, top spec but manual, said were waiting until August/September for any more.
That will be the silver GS at Eric Stead. I went in there and they told me the same thing about waiting till August/September. They have a few older MGs on show in the showroom though to show the love of the brand. I went to CarShop Doncaster instead and they have a DCT demonstrator which was perfect for me to have a test drive in. I ended up ordering with CarShop and the car should be delivered by this week.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 21:17

Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
That will be the silver GS at Eric Stead. I went in there and they told me the same thing about waiting till August/September. They have a few older MGs on show in the showroom though to show the love of the brand. I went to CarShop Doncaster instead and they have a DCT demonstrator which was perfect for me to have a test drive in. I ended up ordering with CarShop and the car should be delivered by this week.
How did you find the auto? and the interior?

I really want to like the car, I love the exterior, it's very substantial in the flesh. The notchiness of the manual put me off but then I'd always prefer an auto but annoyed i can't try one easily

Eric Stead have recently give up there Hyundai franchise (or had it removed - not sure, Hyundai are being quite strict lately) so they are 100% MG, pretty decent showroom, good location, a lovely rubber bumped MGB and a fabulous MG Metro on display (sadly not for sale, only being stored and shown for an owner)

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 08:05

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
Quote:
How did you find the auto? and the interior?
The problem with these test drive is you just drive round the block but you really want to spend more time in the car to have a better feel. I find the auto to be good which I'm happy with. The paddle shift is always ready and can override the auto so you don't have to shift the stick to manual like most cars to do to access manual mode.

One problem I have encountered though but not sure if it was an actual problem with the auto DCT box. I pulled over and shifted the stick to neutral but when I wanted to pull off and shifted to Drive the car wouldn't go. I swapped seat with the dealer and it happened to him too. Waited a few more seconds then the car eventually moved. I googled if there was such a problem on a 7 speed DCT and there was on the DQ200 for VAG https://www.quora.com/Has-the-issues...been-fixed-now

I'm not sure what DCT the GS uses and whether the problem is related or whether it was actually problem or not.

As for the interior, I went for the cream interior as it looked very plush on the demonstrator. Yes the hard plastic on the dash is erm.......hard. The driver armrest/cubby hole looked very cheap. Otherwise I don't see any problem with the interior and generally inline with many similar competitors. People complains about the cluster of button to the central dash, I don't see that being a problem and not much different to DW's Vauxhall Mokka. The material does leave some oily finger prints on the buttons though.

I was in similar situation as you whether to spend 21k on a 2-3 year old car or get a brand new one. I went for new.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 11:45
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post

One problem I have encountered though but not sure if it was an actual problem with the auto DCT box. I pulled over and shifted the stick to neutral but when I wanted to pull off and shifted to Drive the car wouldn't go. I swapped seat with the dealer and it happened to him too. Waited a few more seconds then the car eventually moved. I googled if there was such a problem on a 7 speed DCT and there was on the DQ200 for VAG https://www.quora.com/Has-the-issues...been-fixed-now

I'm not sure what DCT the GS uses and whether the problem is related or whether it was actually problem or not.

Not good on a brand new car.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 20-07-2016, 18:57

Car: Rover 45
Stanley MG Bradford

Just to let you know that Stanley MG Bradford opened for business on July 13th. Panda MG Swansea opens for business this weekend. Tel 01792 648946 to confirm.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 21-07-2016, 20:45

Car: MG TF 135 Spark
Having contacted Steve Durkin MG dealers at Nelson Lancashire last week and being told they did not have a GS demonstrator in I received a phone call this morning to say they now had one and it was available for test drives. Things maybe looking up - at least the salesman was diligent and phoned me as he said he would when it came in. Will certainly have a run over to drive it.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 21-07-2016, 21:38

Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaveabbott View Post
Just to let you know that Stanley MG Bradford opened for business on July 13th. Panda MG Swansea opens for business this weekend. Tel 01792 648946 to confirm.
Interesting because the Bradford Stanley KIA dealership have absolutely no signage to suggest they have an MG in their midst. Which is a shame, they lost a test drive from me, and I've now decided to buy a low mileage Freelander with manufacturer approved warranty for the same price as a 2wd GS.

In the end I just couldn't rationalise spending 21k on a car with so many flaws. I may as well have just thrown 10k down the drain, because chances are that's how much it'll lose in value in the first few months.

I'm sad about that, I really wanted the GS to be THE car that changed my mind. Given the speed with which MG are making progress, I'm guessing it's going to be 5-10 years before they have anything decent enough to change my mind because they don't seem to be taking any notice of customer feedback or media reaction.
obadiah-jones likes this.

Last edited by James Riley; 22-07-2016 at 07:09.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 22-07-2016, 23:05

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Interesting because the Bradford Stanley KIA dealership have absolutely no signage to suggest they have an MG in their midst.
If they're anything like the new dealer in Wolverhampton, it could be months before they erect any MG signage.

Reckon you made the right decision btw. And that saddens me as much as it saddened you!
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:54

Car: MG TF 135 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrew View Post
Having contacted Steve Durkin MG dealers at Nelson Lancashire last week and being told they did not have a GS demonstrator in I received a phone call this morning to say they now had one and it was available for test drives. Things maybe looking up - at least the salesman was diligent and phoned me as he said he would when it came in. Will certainly have a run over to drive it.
Had a run over on Monday this week to see the car. The salesman I saw at the dealers which wasn't the one who rang me was completely disinterested and it was all too much of an effort for him. He didn't attempt to make any serious attempt to sell the car to me or even appear enthusiastic. If MG are happy with salesman / dealers like this then they ain't going to be shifting many cars.
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 17:48

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Thanks but I guess that is in the satnav and doesn't actually limit the speed of the car. I'm so used to having now would struggle to buy a car without it. Looks like there is space on the steering wheel for the buttons if they ever added it. Most Nissans, LandRovers, Volvos etc have it now
The GS Exclusive Auto, definitely has a proper speed limiter. (Amongst a hundred other things!) The car is very advanced electronically.
Goes like the clappers and returns an average of 45 mpg. The high ride height is fantastic. The 0 to 60 figures and top speed quoted "on paper" are way out. The GS is quicker than my MG ZT sports auto. I think this is because the GS changes gears super-fast The bugger just flies! Also, the steering is a joy and cornering, surprisingly good for such a tall car.
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 17:55

Car: CityRover
8 Tesco bags filled with shopping will fit in the undertray. Plenty of room. Ignore the car mag reviewers as they always knock MG products.
The rear seats also fold totally flat and make a bed for two. I know, we slept in it one night. A great motor.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 20:59

Car: Rover 45
Most dealers don't hold stock of cars nowadays if you want a new one they order it directly from the factory so that the options you want can be built in so it is no shock that they don't have a stock.