• 1 Post By G0MRL
  • 1 Post By snifferdog1

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 10:48 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: Rover 25
MG GS now being advertised

MG GS - coming soon - Models - MG Motor UK Ltd

Designed and engineered at Longbridge apparently. And although it only has the one engine, it's available as both an auto and a manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 11:32
MGM

Car: Other Manufacturer
I think they have been showing this page on the website for a while now, or something similar at least.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 18:37

Car: TF135, MG3, MG6 GT TSE
Why would anybody "pre-order" if they didn't know any performance details, size, let alone the price?? MG Motor's marketing is truly batty.
ex-rover likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:59

Car: Audi TT 225 Quatrro
I dont get how they can be so **** poor
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 12:11

The cars or the marketing? The cars are quite good. If I was looking for a car in this sector I would seriously consider it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 12:44

Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay13 PNTHR View Post
I dont get how they can be so **** poor
Agree - I'm perplexed at the diabolical marketing 'strategy' - you could pay marketing students tuppence to come up with better stuff.

I see the latest gimmick is to send out a torch for people attending the launch - maybe it's to help them find a marketing and PR strategy?

Has to be the most underwhelming, drawn out car launch I can recall. I actually like the GS, I really think it looks great and could be a winner for them, but without some serious marketing grunt behind it it won't be. They have to at the very least match Dacia, who seem to have rolled out a whole series of models and marketing strategies in the time it has taken MG to homologate the allegedly EU designed car for the EU market.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 15:41

I think they're hamstrung by how long it's been between the original launch and the UK launch. It's difficult to create excitement and anticipation when everyone knows what a car looks like a year before you start talking about it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 16:50

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
I completely disagree - its only a few people that trawl the internet looking at MGs from China - the UK reveal was made a few weeks ago and then the car officially goes on sale in a week or so.
patpending likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 17:59

Don't you think it was a problem when MG started talking about the GS ahead of the reveal? They had an outline picture of the GS on their website and were trying to drum up excitement in a reveal when any interested party could find a picture on a simple Google search...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-06-2016, 20:06

I am massively disappointed.

1. No 4wd. Joke.
2. No 2 litre engine.
3. **** poor marketing. It's got to be the lamest marketing I've seen for a new car.
4. If Autocar are to be believed they haven't listened a jot to the review of the Chinese spec model re interior quality.

I've been watching the development of this model for the last year and I love the styling, the whole idea. I think there is massive potential there but get the feeling that someone at MG doesn't see or cannot realise the potential their own product has if they only packaged it right or marketed it right.

I am still going to see one in the metal to put this itch to bed one way or the other though! More fool me!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-06-2016, 21:17

Car: MG ZT+ CDTi 135
John,

Welcome to the forum.

I would always take anything the Muppets at Autocar say with a pinch of salt. Go and see it for yourself and make your own mind up. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw & drove the MG3 - so much that I bought one :-) If I had listed to the motoring 'experts' then I would have probably never made the effort.

I think MG have hit the nail on the head with the 1.5T engine as Diesels are now perceived to be 'the work of Satan' and a 2.0T would not be as fuel efficient. The need (or otherwise) for 4wd has been well covered in other threads so I will not open up that wound.

I think the entry level price is spot on but I'm finding it hard to justify the premium for the more expensive models in terms of extra kit. I'm surprised there is no red colour option?

5 year warrant is a real BONUS.

Let us know how you get on - a review would be great.

Regards,

AL

Last edited by Alastair; 14-06-2016 at 21:34.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 07:20

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
I'm hoping to get an auto as soon as I can so it would have to be the top trim but found the 21k price tag a little pricey. They will have to discount the price heavily to sub 20k to be a goer for me. I have sold my ZS180 2 weeks ago in anticipation for this so I have every intention of buying one if the deal is right, only MG can lose this sale. The colour choice though is very disappointing and I don't really fancy any of the colours available.