No AWD for UK - 2WD only - MG-Rover.org Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 28-04-2016, 18:32 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75 con CDT and MK2 Austin Metro!! (cecil) and a allegro VDP 1500! and 2006 cityrover select!
Send a message via MSN to roverchippy
No AWD for UK - 2WD only

Just heard that the UK wont be getting the 4WD version from a nearby dealer.

Anyone else confirm this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 28-04-2016, 19:42

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
Hope that's not true as I'm wanting an AWD auto. Considering this car is already available in other countries for a good few months now this would be very poor if true.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 28-04-2016, 19:49

Car: CityRover
Hope it's not true - we will find out next week.

JLR seem to think there is a market for AWD SUVs

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 28-04-2016, 20:16 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75 con CDT and MK2 Austin Metro!! (cecil) and a allegro VDP 1500! and 2006 cityrover select!

I too was wanting to place an order for an AWD auto.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 28-04-2016, 20:46

Car: 2005 Jaguar S-Type R, 2016 Jeep Renegade Limited, 2003 Rover Streetwise SE
Maybe they were worried that having too many options might confuse buyers
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 29-04-2016, 05:09

I would have only considered an auto AWD.

Hopefully the dealer got the wrong end of the stick - we'll find out next week.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 29-04-2016, 10:09
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
And one from the competition.

Tivoli - SsangYong GB, Luton, Bedfordshire

Looks similar too.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 29-04-2016, 10:25

Car: MG 6 Magnette
AWD for me.

Sorry to say my other half will only consider AWD and I will only consider an Auto.

Is the AWD version limited to the 2.0 petrol, if so that's why the UK won't be getting one.
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 29-04-2016, 11:33

Car: R75, 9-3
awd for me too.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 29-04-2016, 12:44

I was looking for the 2 litre turbo 4x4 for a bit of pep. Manual preferably, DSG if I must. Do MG do nay market research - I have already told Matthew Cheyne what I would like. Potentially V. disapointed
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 29-04-2016, 13:03

The Ssangyong Tivoli XLV comes out in September. Looks a little like a Discovery Sport. Could be it will have Petrol, Auto, 4x4, no stop start, as they already build the standard one to this spec in Korea.
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 29-04-2016, 20:15 Thread Starter

It always looks so promising with MG, and then they somehow always manage to bugger it up.

I just hope the dealer is wrong.
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 29-04-2016, 21:20
MGM

Car: Other Manufacturer
I would be thoroughly disappointed if MG don't offer It with AWD. Especially if it's offered with that in other markets. The whole automatic & manual situation in the current cars is a bit of a joke really, I'm assuming that the automatic technology isn't being offered in the UK due to it not being up to scratch for market in Europe, as surely if it was decent, MG would make it available? Anyway, I digress. I'm hoping that it's avaliable in AWD and standard 2WD, as the more options there are the more likely it is to appeal to the mass market. Quite a few of the GS's rivals don't come with 4WD though, the Renault Captur at least is only 2wd that just know of..
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 29-04-2016, 21:34

Send a message via AIM to Ex-MG Send a message via MSN to Ex-MG
95% of Qashqais are 2wd with beam rear suspension. Most of these cross overs that have 4wd are useless off road anyway.
patpending likes this.
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 07:47

Steven, that may well be true that nearly all Qashqais are 2wd (but there again QQ AWD is only available in manual with no auto option) but I want an AWD. AWD is not just about mud plugging off-roading and it would be naive of MG to think that is the case.

If MG offer a product that meets my requirement I will look at it along with the others that do, then make my choice. If they don't offer a product that meets my requirement it won't get on the shortlist.

To challenge a customers requirement by saying 'most customers don't want that so you can't have it' would be a real shame.
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 10:17

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastpipe View Post
AWD is not just about mud plugging off-roading and it would be naive of MG to think that is the case.
There is an illustration of the AWD system on their China website illustrating it for snow, rain and rough terrain. They certainly are not the naive in this case.

http://www.saicmg.com/m/mggs_new/
post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 10:28

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
In view of the number of vehicles that MG are selling in the UK, and bearing in mind that the CS appears to be going to be aimed firmly at the the same kind of person as is buying the Qashqai, it is logical to assume that the uptake of an AWD option will be very low numbers indeed.

BUT - if MG offer an AWD option (and only sell single figures per month), they will still have to stock a full range of AWD specific spares in the UK - a very considerable expense which will not be justified by the tiny number of parts that are likely to be required.

The simple fact is that whilst some people keep banging on about 'needing' four wheel drive, in reality, they don't need 4WD at all; as with many car related features, it is merely a status thing.

Similarly, although a small number of people are getting their knickers in a twist over the lack of an auto gearbox, and whilst the popularity of automatics has risen in recent years, they still account for a small proportion of the total sales. Most car buyers neither need, nor want an automatic. I know it is over 11 years ago now, but only slightly more than 1% of MG ZRs were Stepspeeds, and only a slightly bigger percentage of Rover 25s. Even now, it is likely that the sales of an auto in the small/medium car/SUV sector are probably not much more than 5%. It may upset those that particularly want an automatic, but the extra sales they would get from offering an automatic on the CS are likely to be minimal, but as with offering AWD, they would still need to keep the spares available in the UK at significant cost.
patpending, Ex-MG and mowog73 like this.
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 16:02

Car: none
Forgive me for possibly being rather naive, but surely if the number of auto or AWD sales is likely to be, at best, a handful a month, then surely the corresponding number of relevant spares that would likely to ever be needed would also be proportionally low, so any additional cost of stocking of them would be significantly outweighed even by the potentially few sales that would otherwise be lost by not offering those options in the first place?
post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 23:55

Car: Seat Ibiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroman View Post
Sorry to say my other half will only consider AWD and I will only consider an Auto.

Is the AWD version limited to the 2.0 petrol, if so that's why the UK won't be getting one.
They probably haven't got the diesel engine ready with the AWD system.

The CO2 emissions for the AWD system on a petrol would be higher than the diesel engined version which could explain why they couldn't bring it over as it would potentially make their overall CO2 ratings for the manufacturer break some sort of EU limit.

Cheers..
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:55

Ask Land Rover, Suzuki or Skoda if AWD sells. Or do MG just want to have no USP other than built in china and cheap.

I've read online the lengths SAIC went to to develop the AWD system for this car it would be such a waste if it didn't come to the UK.

But hey MG know very well how not to sell cars - should leave them to it.