No AWD for UK - 2WD only - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:55

Car: 2005 Jaguar S-Type R, 2016 Jeep Renegade Limited, 2003 Rover Streetwise SE
If only all the other car manufacturers knew about the savings they could make by only selling one spec of each model. Then they too could be as successful as MG . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:35

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Forgive me for possibly being rather naive, but surely if the number of auto or AWD sales is likely to be, at best, a handful a month, then surely the corresponding number of relevant spares that would likely to ever be needed would also be proportionally low, so any additional cost of stocking of them would be significantly outweighed even by the potentially few sales that would otherwise be lost by not offering those options in the first place?
The value of AWD specific spares stock required for a handful of AWD cars would not be significantly less than the value required as back up for the several thousand non-AWD cars that MG will be hoping to sell. The value of AWD specific spares stock that would be required would be massively disproportionate. Due to the low margin on new cars now, it wouldn't take much extra outlay to outweigh the small extra return from selling a small number of extra cars (look at the MG3 - it has a list price little more than the MG ZR did at launch 15 years ago!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastpipe View Post
Ask Land Rover, Suzuki or Skoda if AWD sells. Or do MG just want to have no USP other than built in china and cheap.
With Land Rover in particular, you are looking at a different sector of the market. The CS appears to be targetted at the lower end of the SUV market - aimed directly at the Qashqai, and there is little demand for AWD at that end of the market. The volumes that MG are likely to sell do not justify offering the AWD version. I would expect that if the CS sells well beyond expectations (ie. perhaps 10000+ a year), and 5% of potential customers say they want AWD, MG Motor would be likely to market it here.

On performance so far, I think we have to come to terms with the fact that the bulk of the British car buying public doesn't want to buy the current MGs, and no amount of advertising, special discounts, number of dealers seems to make a significant impact. Whilst we all hope it will sell in thousands, I think you would have to be very optimistic at this stage to assume that the CS will fare any better.

There may be other reasons for not offering AWD in Europe - possible safety or emissions related issues which may need further work; who knows? (well, obviously MG Motor will know, but they are not likely to say in public).
post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 14:32

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
In view of the number of vehicles that MG are selling in the UK, and bearing in mind that the CS appears to be going to be aimed firmly at the the same kind of person as is buying the Qashqai, it is logical to assume that the uptake of an AWD option will be very low numbers indeed.
What's the CS? I thought it was called GS?

post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 15:22 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75 con CDT and MK2 Austin Metro!! (cecil) and a allegro VDP 1500! and 2006 cityrover select!
Send a message via MSN to roverchippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbeneezerGoode View Post
What's the CS? I thought it was called GS?
The CS was the initial prototype. The final release is called the GS.

I think.
post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 15:30

Car: CityRover
Send a message via AIM to Ex-MG Send a message via MSN to Ex-MG
Quote:
Ask Land Rover, Suzuki or Skoda if AWD sells. Or do MG just want to have no USP other than built in china and cheap.

I've read online the lengths SAIC went to to develop the AWD system for this car it would be such a waste if it didn't come to the UK.

But hey MG know very well how not to sell cars - should leave them to it.
Ask Nissan...2wd qashqais. Also ask Hyundai who sell mostly FWD IX35s etc etc Most cars in the crossover segmant are FWD and jacked up. People who want a AWD buy a car in the next segmant up. The USP for GS will be superior driving dynamics & peformance for the price. I'd rather that than a pointless thirsty AWD system.

I suspect we will get an AWD in the form of a hybrid system, William Wang said in an interview that the GS will get a hybrid powertrain.
post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 17:22

Why then Steven have MG/SAIC designed an AWD system specifically for the ruddy thing. Or perhaps it doesn't work

I know many people at work with awd Qashqais and X-trails. If MG don't want to be in that segment that's fine there are many better manufacturers already selling more cars in a month than MG do in a year - speaks volumes.
post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 17:50

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven211 View Post
Ask Nissan...2wd qashqais. Also ask Hyundai who sell mostly FWD IX35s etc etc Most cars in the crossover segmant are FWD and jacked up. People who want a AWD buy a car in the next segmant up
All due to price, the joe bloggs who buy these cars are not willing to spend another 3-5k for an AWD.
post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 19:05

Quote:
Ask Nissan...2wd qashqais. Also ask Hyundai who sell mostly FWD IX35s etc etc Most cars in the crossover segmant are FWD and jacked up. People who want a AWD buy a car in the next segmant up. The USP for GS will be superior driving dynamics & peformance for the price. I'd rather that than a pointless thirsty AWD system.

I suspect we will get an AWD in the form of a hybrid system, William Wang said in an interview that the GS will get a hybrid powertrain.
But those manufacturers have designed them and sell them. They wouldn't do that if there wasn't money in it. These are global products and not limited to the UK. Sales of hundreds of units in a single country wouldn't justify the investment, but multiply that by all the countries in the developed world and those sales are significant. A sale is a sale and all goes to offset the overall car development costs. Most AWD stuff is off the shelf and shared throughout different car manufacturers.

It doesn't need to be thirsty at all. Look at the super new Vitara in standard and S models. An extremely capable automatic AWD car with CO2 under 120g for diesel and mid 130gs I think for the petrol 1.4. I bet a 3 kicks out more CO2 than that.
post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
All due to price, the joe bloggs who buy these cars are not willing to spend another 3-5k for an AWD.
Agreed..unless of course they actually want AWD then they will.

Look at the YETI and the Scout..loads of AWD around and they are not big SUV cars in the next segment up. Lots of Joe and Joanne Bloggs have bought them.
post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 19:54

Send a message via AIM to Ex-MG Send a message via MSN to Ex-MG
Quote:
Why then Steven have MG/SAIC designed an AWD system specifically for the ruddy thing. Or perhaps it doesn't work

I know many people at work with awd Qashqais and X-trails. If MG don't want to be in that segment that's fine there are many better manufacturers already selling more cars in a month than MG do in a year - speaks volumes.
Write William Wang or Matthew Cheyne a letter about your displeasure then, also to back up your argument work out the costs and sales projection of the AWD. I just can't see how MG can justify having AWD option unless it sells in good numbers, its just dead stock for a dead market.

I'd rather MG focus on driving dynamics, a USP for the car as the cars in this segment are hardly drivers cars. Unless you do off roading I fail to see the need for AWD. Bad weather isn't an excuse, I got winter tyres for my 6 and its great in the snow, it would probably embarrass some of these AWD cars with their summer tyres quite easily.

Last edited by Ex-MG; 01-05-2016 at 20:00.
post #31 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 20:08

Quote:
Write William Wang or Matthew Cheyne a letter about your displeasure then, also to back up your argument work out the costs and sales projection of the AWD. I just can't see how MG can justify having AWD option unless it sells in good numbers, its just dead stock for a dead market.

I'd rather MG focus on driving dynamics, a USP for the car as the cars in this segment are hardly drivers cars. Unless you do off roading I fail to see the need for AWD. Bad weather isn't an excuse, I got winter tyres for my 6 and its great in the snow, it would probably embarrass some of these AWD cars with their summer tyres quite easily.
No thanks, but thanks for the suggestion.

If MG do release an AWD GS in the UK, as they have in china already, I will add it to my shortlist. If they don't I won't - simples.

Others said in the first page of this thread they want AWD drive too.

Shame as I'd like to have a look but won't bother if there's no auto AWD however cheap and however sporty the ride it offers.
post #32 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 20:52

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Write William Wang or Matthew Cheyne a letter about your displeasure then,.......
He won't.

Internet forums and social media are stuffed full of opinionated people having a rant or a whinge about things/people/companies they have an issue with, rather than making contact directly. Odd that!

I really don't think some people understand the difference between the crossover SUV sector and the off roader sector - you can't seriously mention the Qashqai and the XTrail in the same sentence - the XTrail is designed and built primarily as an off road 4x4, the other is basically a car that is also available with 4x4 (and very few people want the 4x4 option).

Once again, I suspect it is just a reason to find fault with MG - past behaviour by certain posters suggests that if MG had intended to launch the GS with an AWD option for the UK, those persons would drag something else up to find fault about.
Alastair and ex-rover like this.
post #33 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 21:09

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
Quote:
Bad weather isn't an excuse, I got winter tyres for my 6 and its great in the snow, it would probably embarrass some of these AWD cars with their summer tyres quite easily.
Winter weather is indeed my excuse for wanting an AWD. It will be paired up with a set of winter tyres too. With the amount of hills in my locality the more ability to tackle the possible slippery stuff the better I would prefer.

I have already made a sacrifice on DW's Vauxhall Mokka last year, it was either auto 2wd or manual 4x4 and not a combination of both as Vauxhall don't do an auto 4x4 so ended up with the auto as that was more important.
post #34 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 21:59

Quote:
Once again, I suspect it is just a reason to find fault with MG - past behaviour by certain posters suggests that if MG had intended to launch the GS with an AWD option for the UK, those persons would drag something else up to find fault about.
I tend to agree. A 4WD option would merely be nice to have. It's not like they're bringing it to market with something essential to success in the segment like, say, a diesel engine.
post #35 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 23:01

Car: Audi S4 Avant
Send a message via MSN to unsavoury
Quote:
95% of Qashqais are 2wd with beam rear suspension. Most of these cross overs that have 4wd are useless off road anyway.
By Audi S4 is 4 wheel drive and that is about as much use for driving off road as a robin reliant but 4 wheel drive certainly can add on road entertainment
post #36 of 92 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 05:38

Quote:

I really don't think some people understand the difference between the crossover SUV sector and the off roader sector - you can't seriously mention the Qashqai and the XTrail in the same sentence - the XTrail is designed and built primarily as an off road 4x4, the other is basically a car that is also available with 4x4 (and very few people want the 4x4 option).
I agree many don't. Nissan describe the Qashqai as "THE MULTI-AWARD-WINNING CROSSOVER" and the X-Trail as "THE ADVENTURE SEEKING CROSSOVER" see www.nissan.co.uk. Both are available in a mix of 2WD and AWD.
post #37 of 92 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 08:40

Car: Rover 211 MG ZS 120 MG ZT 160T ZTT 120 MG3 Style MG ZS 180
I've driven a work colleagues Quashqui and as easy to drive as it was, I wouldn't want to go off road in it! It's clearly just a jacked up hatchback with possibly the worlds gear change, felt very similar to a 10 year old Micra. Admittedly this was the mk1 though. I'd rather have a crossover vehicle that drives well and has a good drivetrain underneath me, than a AWD system which adds weight, expense and worsens the fuel economy. MG should be onto a winner here, a genuine sports crossover.
post #38 of 92 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 18:43

Car: Rover 45
Mg gs.

They already have the AWD IN Thailand, this can be driven in two or four wheel mode. And they are right hand drive vehicles. So i am sure that it will arrive in the UK at some point in the future though not at launch!!!!
post #39 of 92 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 19:18

I don't think that it's the 4WD technology that is holding things up. A 4WD transmission needs more power. Diesel engines are predominant in this sector, but the current MG Diesel engine doesn't meet euro 6 standards so can't be used. When MG have a compliant Diesel engine (or a more powerful petrol engine that meets euro standards) then we may well see a 4WD option over here.
post #40 of 92 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNorman View Post
Diesel engines are predominant in this sector, but the current MG Diesel engine doesn't meet euro 6 standards so can't be used.
Do you have a source for that? I've read that the current MG6 is only Euro5 but they must have an update up their sleeves. Most journalistic reports mention the GS getting a version of the same diesel engine. See these
New MG GS to debut next week at the London Motor Show | Auto Express
2016 MG GS SUV to arrive in May | Autocar
The MG GS is going to be like a Nissan Qashqai but much, much cheaper | Motoring Research

An updated diesel also seems likely for the MG6 unless it is to cease production in the next months.