No AWD for UK - 2WD only - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 92 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 22:56

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaveabbott View Post
They already have the AWD IN Thailand, this can be driven in two or four wheel mode. And they are right hand drive vehicles. So i am sure that it will arrive in the UK at some point in the future though not at launch!!!!
I agree. Wouldn't surprise me if the AWD arrives sometime later, when the range is in need of some fresh impetus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:47

Car: rover 75 2.5 (LPG) & TF 160
Whilst I would like an AWD auto it would not be a deal breaker for me, The wife's car is squarely in this market, pug 3008 diesel auto which incidentally is only available in AWD in the top of the range hybrid model.

I would be far more concerned if they launch without a diesel and the option of manual/ Auto.

If the GS is anywhere near as good as our 3008 has been it will be a serious contender for me in the next 6 months, I have to admit to being a convert to the crossover sector.

Richard
post #43 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 21:11

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
I really don't think some people understand the difference between the crossover SUV sector and the off roader sector - you can't seriously mention the Qashqai and the XTrail in the same sentence - the XTrail is designed and built primarily as an off road 4x4, the other is basically a car that is also available with 4x4 (and very few people want the 4x4 option).
Presumably you're referring to the previous generation of Qashqai/X-Trail as the current cars are virtually the same vehicle. The X-Trail has only ever been an SUV is a similar vein to the Freelander rather than a full-on off-roader. Nissan offer the Patrol and Pathfinder to fill that brief.

It would be a missed opportunity for MG not to make the GS available with 4wd. No crossover ever goes off road but 4wd adds security on the road plus makes for a better towing vehicle.

post #44 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 21:33

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
I think that was rather the point I was making. The X-trail tries to be akin to a Freelander, whereas the Qashqai is marketed really just as a beefed up car - regardless of their underpinnings, they appeal to a different sector from each other, and it appears the MG have the Qashqai sector firmly in their sights for the GS. For what seems to be likely to be a fairly low volume seller, offering AWD here seems to me to be an unnecessary extravagance. If it were likely to sell 10 thousand plus per year, it would be a different matter.
post #45 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 14:49

Car: Audi TT 225 Quatrro
From what I understand the CS/GS/GTS/MGX's AWD system is designed to work with the new SAIC/GM 7 Speed Dual Clutch system manufactured in Shanghai and Engineered in Germany. This means its likely compatible with other vehicles with the same system be them a SAIC or GM product.

There is an RHD version with AWD in Thailand where they might actually need it. Its not sold well at all, if at all.

THAT'S IN THAILAND.

Anyone that cannot drive safely and securely without AWD/4WD in the winter months in the UK should go on a drivers course. Yes its hilly where I live too.

The crossover segment in the UK is over 90% based on an FF system. The only exceptions are really the Evoques of this world, which are a 4x4 scaled down not a hatchback scaled up.
post #46 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 14:54

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay13 PNTHR View Post
Anyone that cannot drive safely and securely without AWD/4WD in the winter months in the UK should go on a drivers course. Yes its hilly where I live too.
I would say in winter months you only need winter tyres, rather than full AWD. And that's in a hard winter.
post #47 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 15:11

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay13 PNTHR View Post
One of those typical arrogant statement
post #48 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 15:25

If people want 4wd then they will just look elsewhere and MG will loose sales.
post #49 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 15:29

They've released info GS - coming soon - Models - MG Motor UK Ltd and The MG GS is unveiled at the London Motor Show - Latest News - News - MG Motor UK Ltd

Confirmed there's no AWD. There is an Auto but no diesel. Shocked as I was thinking they would do a diesel but no Auto. I'll take a look at an Auto one when they come out but not keen on an SUV. I think the lack of a diesel is a bigger problem than no AWD.
post #50 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 15:38

I suppose the fact they're not fitting the diesel means that MGNorman has been right about the MG6 diesel not being able to meet current emissions standards and that the MG6 will be cancelled soon?

Think some people here, myself included, owe him an apology for doubting his information.
post #51 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 16:44

It says top spec has the option of an auto box, is that the top trim level in a 1.5T as there is no mention of a 2.0T available? Also no auto in the middle trim level or lower?
post #52 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 17:07

Car: MG ZT+ CDTi 135
bit of news available@

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...don-motor-show

Gives spec available rather than speculation. Mentions a diesel as well.

AL
post #53 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 17:09

A bit more info from What car:

http://www.whatcar.com/news/new-mg-gs-suv-revealed/

AL
post #54 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 17:11

Quote from What Car:

MG has confirmed the car will come with a 1.5-litre petrol engine with around 168bhp, and will be available with both manual and automatic gearbox options. A more powerful 217bhp 2.0-litre petrol engine is also likely to be offered, as well as a 1.9-litre diesel engine with 148bhp.

Buyers should be able to choose between front-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive models.

Makes the speculation and panic in this thread look a little futile.

AL
post #55 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
Quote from What Car:

MG has confirmed the car will come with a 1.5-litre petrol engine with around 168bhp, and will be available with both manual and automatic gearbox options. A more powerful 217bhp 2.0-litre petrol engine is also likely to be offered, as well as a 1.9-litre diesel engine with 148bhp.

Buyers should be able to choose between front-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive models.

Makes the speculation and panic in this thread look a little futile.

AL
These quotes were available from about 6 months ago, not all are true for the UK market.
post #56 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 18:17

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbeneezerGoode View Post
I suppose the fact they're not fitting the diesel means that MGNorman has been right about the MG6 diesel not being able to meet current emissions standards and that the MG6 will be cancelled soon?

Think some people here, myself included, owe him an apology for doubting his information.
When you take as many guesses as Norman does, you're bound to get one right sooner or later.
roverchippy likes this.
post #57 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 19:09

Car: 2013 MG 3 VTI Tech Style
I wonder how many people who say if they didn't offer an auto they would not buy one. Now it's time to put their money on their comments lol or will there be another reason for not buying one. Just feeling like playing devil's advocate lol
post #58 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
These quotes were available from about 6 months ago, not all are true for the UK market.
So the following, written by a correspondent covering the launch is not factual?:

"MG has only confirmed the 1.5-litre engine that produces 168bhp and 184lb ft engine for the GS, but others are planned to follow, according to officials from SAIC’s UK engineering headquarters in Longbridge. The in-house-developed turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine delivers a class-competitive 217bhp and 258lb ft.

On the initial GS model, drive is channelled through a manual gearbox, or a standard six-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox which comes with top-spec, with buyers set to be offered the choice of either front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive. In four-wheel-drive guise, the new MG is claimed to accelerate from 0-62mph in “around eight seconds”. However, more detailed performance and fuel economy claims are yet to be made public.

Also planned for selected markets, including the UK, is a diesel variant of the GS. It is earmarked to receive the same turbocharged 1.9-litre four-cylinder unit already offered in various MG models, where it delivers 148bhp and 258lb ft of torque"

Okay.

Al
post #59 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
Aye, the magazines recycle the same stories and just updated when new news is released. I linked to an Autocar article a few days ago and it had the exact same comment about the diesel engine being 'planned for certain markets'. The only difference with the article now is that the previous one was completely uncertain about the 1.5 with the 2.0 being 'confirmed'. They're speculating no less than we are.

The only established facts are what is in that link to MG's site. And that's that there will be the 1.5 petrol with auto and manual gearboxes. We also have a comment from a dealer that there's no AWD (and the dealers should know. I remember people on here were convinced that the MG6 was getting a GM petrol engine. I believed them and my dealer said they'd never heard of such a thing). Nothing else is confirmed and nothing will be until the official launch next month. I'm not sure why a diesel engine would be delayed. The GS has been in development for years and the existing MG diesel has been around a while. With that in mind, if they were going to have it it would be available at launch, wouldn't it? I think MG are hoping that the current anti-diesel backlash might work in their favour and see petrol become much more popular again in larger sectors. For their sakes I hope it pays off. I shan't be complaining too much - the current option suits me. Whether it has the grounds for commercial success I'm less sure.

Anyone know when cars are with dealers for test drives?
post #60 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Murray View Post
When you take as many guesses as Norman does, you're bound to get one right sooner or later.
You must be reading something very different to what I have written. What I write generally comes from local dealers or from friends within MG.