No AWD for UK - 2WD only - Page 5 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #81 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:35

Car: Other Manufacturer
I can't see tax hitting diesel fuel too harshly as most commercial transport uses this fuel. The haulage companies would be up in arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 15:24

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
I doubt any disproportionately higher rate of tax will be levied on diesel fuel, but what is being talked about is a punitive tax on the purchase price of diesel engined cars. It may turn out to be just a malicious rumour, but you would have to be brave to take that for granted I think.
post #83 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 20:39

Hadn't seen the rumours about purchasing taxes but have seen various suggestions of increased tax, pollution charges or even outright bans from inner cities of all but the latest (Euro 6) diesels.

post #84 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 17:15

Car: CityRover
Has anyone in their visits to dealers been able to find out when AWD might, if at all, appear?
post #85 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 22:44

Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Given how expensive the top model is, can you imagine how much it would be if they put AWD into it.

Compare it to a Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage and this MG GS just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I sat in the new Sportage at the weekend, a significant improvement on the last model, considerably more upmarket with a very high quality interior. I've only seen the Chinese GS in the London showroom, but from what I can tell in pics and reviews they haven't changed the interior at all, so the GS hasn't a hope of gunning for the Kia or Hyundai.

Not entirely sure what car it is aiming for to be honest, the Tivoli is far cheaper, as is the Duster - in fact I can't imagine why anyone would by the GS over a Duster which can be had in top spec with AWD and a diesel for just over 15k.
post #86 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 07:02

Car: MG 6 Magnette
Not looking good

I was working on the assumption that AWD would follow on, once things had got going and sales were 'better' than expected.

However, it now seems clear that MG are so worried that they could actually have a car people wanted, they came up with a poor range of colours and a badly thought out range of models (launching a model you can't see out the back off without parking sensors or DAB).

Then to make sure the plan worked, they over priced them and messed up the launch (personal experience!). Then to make 100% sure they got a primary school media studies group to make the TV ad!

So to answer the question, I don't think AWD is on the way anytime soon. It seems the better the cars get, the worse MG get at selling them!
post #87 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 10:52

Car: Audi S4 Avant
Send a message via MSN to unsavoury
The advert looks like something from the Aprentice! The Chinese version of the ad has Benedict Cumberbatch driving round London. Much better.

Interesting, isn't it, how they manage to balls up the simple stuff?

I want to want one of these and they seem to be doing their best to put me off!
post #88 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:29

Perhaps within 2 years the EU6 regulations will no longer apply to the UK and then they can sell the AWD.
post #89 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Perhaps within 2 years the EU6 regulations will no longer apply to the UK and then they can sell the AWD.
That's not going to happen is it. This country will continue to make cars for sale in Europe. We will continue to buy cars made in other parts of Europe. Both will need Euro6 (or later) compliance. It is not economic to build cars in this country purely for sale in this country, or for anyone else to build cars specifically for this country.
post #90 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:51

But isn't the AWD already on sale in other parts of the world so why is it UK only?? I'm confused
post #91 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:01

Is there a 4wd version of the 1.5 in other markets? If it's only on the 2.0 they might not see it as commercially viable due to fuel economy and possibly the added cost.
post #92 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:14

There is a GS on display outside the supermarket just down the road from me. Had a quick chat with the salesman who was there. He claims that there are no plans to bring 4WD or a different engine over here.