Spot the difference.. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 22:25 Thread Starter

Car: Seat Ibiza
Spot the difference..

MG have released a picture of the U.K model and apart from the A pillar being made black and the missing chrome on the bottom of the bumper I can't really see why they needed all that camouflage during testing:

U.K spec:

China spec:

The interior of the U.K car doesn't seem to have changed much either with the shiny piano black dashboard upper part:

Cheers..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 22:31 Thread Starter

Leather bits on the lower part of the dash near the gear lever

It looks like they've taken the criticism of the hard plastics on the lower part of the dash and have wrapped leather near the gear lever:

Chinese version as a comparison:

Cheers.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 00:13

Car: MG ZS
Wonder if they've done anything with the clutch as before the MG6 had some really cheap "ka chunk" clutch setup.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:19

Car: Audi TT 225 Quatrro
Utterly different engine and gearbox.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:31

Car: Other Manufacturer
Why are so many car manufacturers obsessed with that piano black dash trim? IMO it looks naff and ends up dusty/marked too easily.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 18:35 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay13 PNTHR View Post
Utterly different engine and gearbox.
Oooh, tell us more..

Cheers..
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 20:18

Car: Other MG
I had'nt even noticed the black A post surrounds that mimic the MG3.. but overall very similar to the China spec yet somehow with enough little tweaks to make it almost look like the Nissan thing everyone loves so much apparently.

So, I have to say that it looks good and if it drives and handles well, is priced from around £15k (which is the word on the street) and is put together well then it may actually sell - The GS now out sells the '3 in China by about 4 to 1 apparently.

So, 3rd time lucky from MG in the UK? - just possibly I think - and hopefully it will do better in the 'Driver Power' Survey than the Cashcow's Mk2's pathetic 131st place (Driver Power 2016)..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 23:19

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Think I prefer the body-coloured A-pillars, to be honest.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:10

Car: rover 75 2.5 (LPG) & TF 160
I was presuming it would look pretty much the same and that the diffrences would be in ride and handling ect.
I will be having a test drive when apple mg have one.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattykan View Post
Oooh, tell us more..

Cheers..
The MG6 had a terrible gear change, even with the revisions. Inconsistent clutch operation, sensor drift and incorrectly filled fluids... and a clutch that was not meant for the 6's levels of torque being used.

This meant the 6 can have multiple issues with the transmission that were fixed largely after the first production run for the UK. The later cars are better. I experienced all of these problems.

The gearbox in question is only used on the 1.8 engines derived from the old K Series - as far as I am aware. This transmission will not be used in the new car as that engine can no longer be sold in the UK.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 18:59

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
that engine can no longer be sold in the UK.
Which is exactly what I said some time ago, only to be told that I had got it wrong.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 20:47 Thread Starter

Quote:
The MG6 had a terrible gear change, even with the revisions. Inconsistent clutch operation, sensor drift and incorrectly filled fluids... and a clutch that was not meant for the 6's levels of torque being used.

This meant the 6 can have multiple issues with the transmission that were fixed largely after the first production run for the UK. The later cars are better. I experienced all of these problems.

The gearbox in question is only used on the 1.8 engines derived from the old K Series - as far as I am aware. This transmission will not be used in the new car as that engine can no longer be sold in the UK.
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like the system was made from blancmange.

Cheers..
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNorman View Post
Which is exactly what I said some time ago, only to be told that I had got it wrong.
As far as im aware the TCI was not made to be Euro 6 compliant, however im not sure what the changes between 5 and 6 are. It may well be they could very easily get it through the standard and sell it.

I was at this event by the way but was not present for the launch. I was told by a lad at Autocar it was the least inspiring and least surprising car "new" launch he's seen in the past 5-6 years.

Im a little disappointed that they did not change the lower dash materials (no amount of pleather can hide a fascia that big). There are coatings out there that give plastics a smoother feel - MG used one themselves between the MK1 MG6 and the DTI.

That being said, from my limited exposure to the Chinese version of these, they felt very much like the 3 in terms of build quality, but comfier to sit in and it does not sratch easily.

I personally dont get the gloss black obsession either, for me this ended in like 2010 when I realised you can NEVER keep it looking clean. Would have looked much nicer with a metal pressing or ali feel plastic coating as used in the German and new Ford vehicles.

Last edited by Jay13 PNTHR; 10-05-2016 at 09:07.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-05-2016, 07:34

Car: rover 75 2.5 (LPG) & TF 160
Quote:
As far as im aware the TCI was not made to be Euro 6 compliant, however im not sure what the changes between 5 and 6 are. It may well be they could very easily get it through the standard and sell it.

For petrol engines there is no difference between euro 5 and euro 6. for diesels there is a big change in NOx so if the TCi tech was euro 5 it would pass euro 6

See here:-

Euro 6 emissions standards: what do they mean for you? | Auto Express

Tables for petrol and diesel at the bottom of article

Richard
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-05-2016, 07:38

Car: Land Rover Defender, MINI, Austin Metro
Other than a number or regional press re-gurgitating the same comments from Autoexpress at the 'Motorshow' I'm surprised at how little has been written about the car at the show, even the forums and other web pages, such as AROnline and others have had absolutely nothing to say about it. Even on here, did many go to see the show?

There is one publication that seems to be suggesting the platform is a JV with Nissan, Hyundai and KIA? Which is the very first whiff I've ever seen of that so assume it's just shoddy journalism.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-06-2016, 20:48

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
I have not seen the car in real life but have studied a lot of the online photographs already available.

The chrome on the bottom of the rear bumper might be missing too along with missing exhaust trims (guessing this isn't an option or available on the top spec).

The overseas model have push button start but UK model appears to be the standard key turn ignition.