Went to buy an MG GS this week... - MG-Rover.org Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 14:39 Thread Starter

Car: SAIC MG6 & Phoenix MG TF
Went to buy an MG GS this week...

First impressions were the car is much more attractive in the flesh than photos indicate, although in black I thought it looked slab sided but other colours accentuated the shape. It is a step up from the MG6 Mk1 I have with regard external trim. Paint work and panel fit is as good as anything else I am aware of, the paint especially with no indication of the Orange Peel effect you see in many much more expensive cars.

Interior is also better than the pictures I have seen, the dash does not look like a massive cluster of disorganised buttons that I first thought, I really like it. Plastics are easilly comparable to anything else in this price bracket and better than the Kia Sportage and Hyundai Santa Fe that I was able to directly compare against on the day. Seats look great and at 6 ft tall I had no problems finding a comfortable driving position although the cubby between the seats hindered my comfort when changing gear with the seat in its lowest position.

On the road the engine is a peach, felt really quick although this may be because it has a more defined power band than the MG6 TCi Tech. Pleasently quite at normal speeds with a hint of harshness in the power train at high revs but nothing I wouldn't be happy to live with. I covered just short of 20 miles and felt perfectly at home by the end of the test drive, although it does reward good driving practice like rev matching during gear shifts. It is quite easy to end up with the revs rising on an up change if you are sloppy with your shifting technique.

Now if MG were to ever make a SUV this is it, the handling defies it size and height. I took it on roads I use on a daily basis and attacked a good few roundabouts I know well and despite the roads being damp the grip was impressive. Not quite MG6 but I was impressed. I found the ride perfectly acceptable even aiming for broken sections of road, but as a MGTF owner, former ZT owner and now MG6 owner I guess I am more acclimatised to a harsher ride than most. Plus my test car had 17" wheels which would have helped.

I arrived back at the showroom with a grin on my face and planning how to justify one of these in my life, I test drove the mid spec as that is the car I would like. I was offered test drives in the top spec & top spec auto but declined as I have no desire for a leather interior.

I will start looking into getting an LPG conversion for one (it has a massive spare wheel well so can hold a big tank ). If I can make the sums stack up,, who knows I may be in one next year, although I have to say I like that Thailand facelift that has popped up on the net and would be keen to know if that is coming to the UK before I make a purchase.

All in a great car but I do think a discount will be needed on the price as sadly I don't expect it to hold it's money. I would like to be in the mid spec for under £14k, but I am happy to buy a pre-reg or low mileage demonstrator to get to that price but not one in Black!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 20:50
Supporter

Car: MGTF 364 days a year. L200 for 1 day of snow.
Garages
My Father in Law has just bought a Kia sportage. It is a lovely car. At £28,000 it needs to be. It will depreciate as well. In comparison with the GS I wonder which will have lost most money over a 2 to 3 year period?
He had a Citroen before??? in 3 years it lost £10,000. The GS will have to go some to match that!

I've had my MG TF from new and even though it is not financially worth a lot nowadays, it has not devalued anywhere near as much as other cars I have had.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 16:54

Car: CityRover
Did you find the engine good or would it benefit from a diesel?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 20:22

Car: MG 6 Magnette
Well, a top spec GS is worth £10k as a maximum in the trade now, so thats a hell of a drop. Buyers are very thin on the ground for them too. Although thats about typical for any MGUK product.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 20:56
gots me a pair o' MGs

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwinters View Post
Well, a top spec GS is worth £10k as a maximum in the trade now, so thats a hell of a drop. Buyers are very thin on the ground for them too. Although thats about typical for any MGUK product.
They found one in you it seems.

Where did you obtain the £10k trade-in value?

One for summer: 2004 MG TF 135 in Firefrost
One for winter: 2002 MG ZS 120+in Solar Red
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 20:10

Nah, I don't own one. I keep an eye on these things as a professional interest. Dealers know I have a soft spot of all things British, so they used to offer me all sorts of MGR and AR stuff back in the day. Now it's just MGUK PX stuff that I seem to hear about. It's unsellable outside the MG dealer network.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 07:29 Thread Starter

Car: SAIC MG6 & Phoenix MG TF
If pwinters can buy a top spec GS for £10k I will pay him £11k to own it, giving him the easiest £1k he ever made. Looking forward to hearing from you!
NickTL and mgbob like this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 14:42

My gaffer would break my legs if I bought an MG into stock without a considerable deposit from the customer up front.
You might wish to own one David, but unfortunatly you are in a tiny minority there.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 10:13

Car: rover 75 2.5 (LPG) & TF 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
If pwinters can buy a top spec GS for £10k I will pay him £11k to own it, giving him the easiest £1k he ever made. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Myself also, if he is able to supply me a gs exclusive auto for 11K I would be willing to pay a significant deposit. (fully refundable if for any strange reason the vehicle can't be supplied.)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 11:09

Whilst it may be possible to buy at that price at trade, I very much doubt it's possible to retail at that and provide any kind of warranty.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 14:18

Mr Stasis has hit the nail on the head there. Parts are hard to source, in quite a few cases not on stream yet. How can I give aftersales care to a buyer of a vehicle that I know I cannot support from a parts side? Especially when I know there are issues with these vehicles. Sorry sir, I know the gearbox has failed, but I cannot source the parts to repair it for you....
I have to take that car back, loose thousands of pounds, upset a customer and then be stuck with a car I cannot repair, cannot sell to another trader and then have to try and get MG UK to help with. Bearing in mind all those dealers that disappear from the MG listing usually do so because of unpaid bills for work done to cars, along with the utterly useless backup they are given. You have to be a special kind of stupid, or utterly desperate to even consider having anything to do with them from a commercial side.
I'd rather sell MGR stuff. Or indeed, anything.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 15:07

Car: MG 6 GT
It would be interesting to know what the GB equivalent of the "blue book" value of a GS is.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 15:57

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Why do the above trolls both pretend to own MG6 . We all know you hate the new company and products. You been spouting the same rubbish on here, AROnline and your own forum for years!

And we are still waiting for you both to post up pictures of your pretend MG6's

How can you remain bitter for soooo long?

Last edited by NickTL; 09-02-2017 at 16:45.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 17:06

Car: Rover 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Stalsis View Post
Whilst it may be possible to buy at that price at trade, I very much doubt it's possible to retail at that and provide any kind of warranty.
Why would it need a warranty as it would surely still be covered by the manufacturers warranty?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 17:59

You are of course absolutely right Brigadoon, I stand corrected.
brigadoon likes this.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 10:48

Car: rover 75 2.5 (LPG) & TF 160
as any gs would have 4 years of manufacturer warranty left and I am near apple (good with new mg and mg rover stuff.) I cant see why pwinters would need to provide me a warranty on top of that?

I test drove the GS at apple and was suitably impressed with it. good for the money. as I have been using there service department for years I know the guys passingly well I was talking to the guys and they told me that they reckon they have only sold 1 or 2 cars to the mg rover forum fans for want of a better term, it is just not the market they are after.

Richard
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:02

Yes, you are correct in that MG are responsible for the warranty. However, as the seller the first place any buyer with a problem would come to is us. Then we have to somehow get that problem resolved. We have to fault find, source parts, fit and check the car. All without any backup from the manufacturer. We then have to get MG to pay for this. Good luck there. As I stated earlier, quite lot of franchises have been handed back due to non payment and the fact you have to fight for every penny.
Also, as we are not MG franchised that is even harder to do. Getting a response from them as a franchise is hard enough, I know. As an independant you may as well go outside and smash through a brick wall with your face. Much easier and far less painful.
So we send the customer to an MG dealer... The nearest is over an hours drive away...
That's going to go down like a lead balloon, isn't it.
Or we get the car sent to MG. Then the customer will want a courtesy car, quite rightly too.
Then there is still the same issue of parts supply, lead times and all that waiting.
Assuming the nearest dealer is actually any good at repairing, the standard does vary quite a bit you know...
Now, tell me again why I should buy one of these new MGs and try to make a living retailing them, when I can sell brands without all this hassle, and actually have buyers that want them.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:52

Car: MG TF
I'm all for constructive criticism even if itís negative in nature, I do however have an issue with what Iíd call destructive criticism. Typically comments are, itís Chinese junk, itíll fall apart in 5 minutes, the deprecation is so bad itíll only be worth 10p 5 minutes after you drive off the forecourt. Most of this comes from people that havenít driven any of these cars and are just repeating what the guy down the pub told him.

Mr pwinters, I'm interested to know why someone that works at a non MG franchised garage and seems to dislike these vehicles so much would apparently drive an MG 6? Could it be that you have a vested interest in people not buying these cars? Your posts and profile is a bit light on details other than your attempts to dissuade people from buying these cars.

I may be doing you a disservice and if so I apologise, I'm willing to be corrected.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 12:46

Car: MG 6 GT
Depreciation, fair enough, the figures speak for themselves. But Chinese does not equal "junk". Where do people think their iPhone is made?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 12:48

Not at all Bob, I am always happy to discuss with people who wish to in a polite was such as yourself.
Without wanting to give away too much personal information about myself, in case a certain poster or posters take it upon themselves to try and track me or my workplace down to cause trouble, yes I did own a Magnette.
I had one of the first 11 platers via work. It to be fair, as I have said previously, was actually alright once the Chinese spec brakes, clutch and the dodgy coolant tank were swapped. After three years it was sold on, eventually, through the garage.
I have first hand experience of these cars and of the stuff behind the scenes that the public and posters on here do not see, hence my reluctance to have much more to do with them.
Lets just say that my old 6, along with several other ex demo and pre reg cars should have been paying rent, the amount of time they took to shift on. I don't think we made a penny on any of them in the end, due to the depreciation they suffer whilst waiting to sell. Plus all the work they needed, quite a bit of which was never recovered.