MG ZR 1.8 Turbo K in a ZR - What Do I Need? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 15:29 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZR
1.8 Turbo K in a ZR - What Do I Need?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at putting a 1.8 turbo from a ZT/75 in my ZR and as I've not done anything like this before I thought it'd be a good idea to get some advice from people with some experience with this sort of thing. Basically I'm looking for anything I've missed from my shopping list and anything to look out for when doing the swap.

Shopping list so far:
- 1.8 k turbo complete engine from ZT 160 or 75 150

- Intercooler

- Modified piping and exhaust

- Different fuel regulator and boost valve - Kmaps has said they can supply those

- ECU remap by Kmaps

- PG1 gearbox - I'm looking at using the one from the ZR/25 TD for the longer ratios and higher torque rating and because it'll fit straight into my ZR, I assume it should fit being a PG1

- I've got a flywheel from an MGF 120 because I ideally want one lighter than the diesel one and once again I've assumed it'll fit as it's the same 'box

- Clutch kit

- Gear and clutch linkages, driveshafts and crank pos sensor for the PG1 as I've got a 1.4 with the IB5 at the minute - hopefully get them with the gearbox

- Possibly a VVC head if I can find one within budget

- I've heard I may need an upgraded fuel pump but haven't confirmed yet

That's what I've got so far but no doubt I've missed something or got something wrong so if I have could you let me know.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 17:22

Car: Rover 25
So, you've thought about the making it go faster bit, but what about the making sure it still stops bit? Do you want to put your life in the hands of the original 1.4 brakes?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 17:31 Thread Starter

yeah I am well aware the standard brakes are nowhere near capable for that sort of power and I will be upgrading to either ZR 160 ones or I might even have a crack at fitting the ones from a ZT however as I'm just a poor student it'll take some time to save up for either of those. In the meantime I'll either just have to go slowly or more likely I'll use my other ZR with the standard 1.4 engine because 1. it's more sensible and 2. it'll give my insurance time to come down a bit more so I don't have to rob as big a bank to insure the 1.8T.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 17:48

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
What you really need are high lift cams and a set of intake throttle bodies
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 18:00 Thread Starter

I like your thinking johndq . That may have to be done at some point but as Nicairius said brakes should probably come before even more power. Other those things am I about ok with my list or have I assumed wrong with some or all of it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 09:00

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicairius View Post
So, you've thought about the making it go faster bit, but what about the making sure it still stops bit? Do you want to put your life in the hands of the original 1.4 brakes?

Asides a turbo and intercooler there is not much in extra weight and if he
sticks to the speed limits the 1.4 brakes will be fine but no harm in upgrading.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 19:54

Any more developments on this? I was looking forward to a turbo build thread coming up...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 28-04-2017, 21:19 Thread Starter

Yeah the plan is to hopefully start getting all the bits as and when I can afford them over the next year or so and then do the actual work next summer when I'm off uni.