DJ Wilmas Elise 111S S2 K series 1.6 Turbo - Page 5 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #81 of 227 (permalink) Old 31-07-2013, 14:54 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 100
Trying to find time

Quick update, the alternator belt was on and the connections tight so assumed it was the alternator gone / fubarred

Luckily i have an inspection hatch behind the drivers seat so i had a quick look and managed to get the alternator out, little worried it has no heat shield so will place one on it when back on.

Took it to local alternator checking place (technical term of course) and they span it up and deemed it a working alternator !!!! A little confused they suggested i could of dropped it / rolled about the car and the bushes maybe connecting. I hope so, so i asked them to refurb as i have no idea what alternator it is.

Once the alternator was off i went in search of the oil leak, so off came the rear clam, and found the exhaust manifold was leaking

This is the second one to go so the flange (he he) cant be straight so it will have to come off and be skimmed.......I did tweak the bolts and it has made it better. Oil leak though, seems to be the cam carrier so will have to take off the rocker cover and tweak the bolts. I have a ported and polished head with some wilder cams to go in so may just do it all at the same time but this will be after the Geo and Spray job.....

Bought some upgraded Toe links from Elise Parts too, thought as the geo will be done in the next few weeks i might as well upgrade them.....plus the plan is to get some ZZR's and do some track days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 227 (permalink) Old 31-07-2013, 21:04
cju

Car: ZS120+
Such a good project!

The alternator is a strange one, maby you could put a multimetre on it via your inspection hole and see if its putting 14v out.
post #83 of 227 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 22:22 Thread Starter

So its not the altenator, although it did have a leaking diode, put it on and 11.8Vs

So we did the unthinkable and checked the main alternator fuse, and as per the pic below, it was blown.

So we change the fuse and bingo, 12.8v's, then bang fuse popped again. Looks like i have a short circuit and as i hate electronics i have to wait for a man to do it.......arrgghhh

Anyhow the rear clam is being sanded down, primered and should be sprayed by the end of next week.......which i have been saying for about a year so fingers crossed

post #84 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 15:05
cju

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilma View Post
So its not the altenator, although it did have a leaking diode, put it on and 11.8Vs

So we did the unthinkable and checked the main alternator fuse, and as per the pic below, it was blown.

So we change the fuse and bingo, 12.8v's, then bang fuse popped again. Looks like i have a short circuit and as i hate electronics i have to wait for a man to do it.......arrgghhh

Anyhow the rear clam is being sanded down, primered and should be sprayed by the end of next week.......which i have been saying for about a year so fingers crossed

Hi

Is the + feed wire from your alternator broken or touching the earth somewhere? Are there any metal objects touching the back of your alternator making it short?
post #85 of 227 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 20:43 Thread Starter

Electrical issue sorted was wrong size fuse should be 80amp and incorrect wire on starter sone reason a red wire is a ground
post #86 of 227 (permalink) Old 16-09-2013, 15:30 Thread Starter

Finally things have started to move on the body work, been a nightmare as friend who is spraying (and has been paid to do it, silly school boy error) has been off work for a while with various problems.
But its now promised to be done in the next few days
I have a few electrical issues to sort too, central locking has stopped working, battery is now discharging when ignition is off and also a few mechanical ones
Think as the car is being stop started a lot, the plugs have fouled up as its running on 3 cylinders, and the exhaust manifold is leaking for the second time so i think it was bent when welded and needs to come off. Luckily i have the mechanical cams and ported head to go on so will have to do that sooner than expected.
Just want it finished now so i can enjoy the british summer........doh

post #87 of 227 (permalink) Old 16-09-2013, 15:36

Car: MG TF 160 - Pearl Black
Send a message via MSN to Kameleon
Well at least you'll soon be able to test if it's water tight!!
post #88 of 227 (permalink) Old 21-09-2013, 09:15 Thread Starter

Put some base coats on the clams, rear looks lovely in matt colour but the front reacted badly to the paint, which is why it was crazy paved before. Car will be painted original Starlight Black

bit of a bugger but at least it coming on now

post #89 of 227 (permalink) Old 27-09-2013, 15:58 Thread Starter

Woo hoo starting to get somewhere paint is on clams....car will be done next week

Was tempted by the matt colour but its shiney with laquer

bad news is I now have an oil leak from the cam cover arrrgghh

post #90 of 227 (permalink) Old 28-09-2013, 13:44 Thread Starter

Got the clams on the car today ready for flatting and polish

Still have the doors, roof and inspection pods to spray shouldnt be long (sure i have said this before)

post #91 of 227 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 19:14 Thread Starter

240R spoiler turned up today many thanks Alex

hopefully have it sprayed tomorrow

post #92 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 21:20
cju

Did you get it sprayed?

This build is amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilma View Post
240R spoiler turned up today many thanks Alex

hopefully have it sprayed tomorrow

post #93 of 227 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:53 Thread Starter

Well the good news is.........

Its on my drive, tucked up nicely in its new pyjamas

Drove if home and it's geo is all over the place, the brembos rattle, the shocks are set too hard, suspension is too low, oil leak drops onto exhaust manifold which is leaking.........body work needs some flatting polishing and a few chips from fitting.

but its on my drive and third gear with foot to floor is a giggle exhaust sounds lovely too

Photo when it was light....its all together now

post #94 of 227 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 17:30 Thread Starter

A big smile is an understatement ...

Nearly finished it off today. Still needs some flatting and polishing and grills adding. I am missing the front undertray so cant fit the splitter which is a shame.

111S Stickers to go on to but just so excited I couldnt help but put photos up

its booked in with Sportomotive on thursday for a Geo, going to go for 340r setup at 120mm front so I can go over speed bumps

had a little play on the way home and a nice man and his Pillion on a motorbike Aprillia Rv4 assisted with the how quick is it test......on low 11psi setting it was close thing.....so I would say its quick enough

post #95 of 227 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 04:46

Car: Modified death trap
Wow..just wow...

Looks superb!

Allan
post #96 of 227 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 08:56

Car: MG TF 160 - Pearl Black
Send a message via MSN to Kameleon
Geo is spot on now? Great work mate, love the s2 looks
post #97 of 227 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 18:44

Car: MGF Freestyle - Limted Edition
Send a message via MSN to Freestyle
Awesome.. Just looks so lush

Well done
post #98 of 227 (permalink) Old 24-10-2013, 12:49 Thread Starter

Woo hoo it has electricity ! Been a nightmare, battery had been going flat over night so thought the alternator was gone then it kept blowing fuses, 40amp. So had the alternator refurbed, this then blew the voltage regulator and the diode pack. So bought a new alternator that was the wrong size so old one refurbed again is back in.........phew

Dont know for how long but it managed to get to the local track for a quick blast up the straight, did a 3rd and 4th gear on low 11psi boost

You can hear the exhaust manifold blowing and its a little laggy, also ECU light is linked up to the DTA and comes on when its time to shift

http://youtu.be/Jckt3hODYFk
post #99 of 227 (permalink) Old 25-10-2013, 15:58 Thread Starter

Currently sat in Sportomotives Reception with the car on the ramps, they very kindly booked it in at short notice
Not quite gone according to plan as the castors are out on the front and the worst wheel is the front right which had the crash damage, no surprises. Little bit of bonding on to the left of the right top wishbone which i assume was done after the crash is not the usual bond.
Rears were a little out too.....
Also fitted the Uprated Rear Toe Links but, and no surprise, as the car is a late 2005 it turns out it needed the taper bolts not the older style ones which came with the kit.

post #100 of 227 (permalink) Old 25-10-2013, 18:22 Thread Starter

So not quite there seems the front right max camber is 1 positive.....

Car is much better to drive but at highet speeds it feels "light" on the front ride heights are

130 rear and 125 front