MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Let there be light!!!

158K views 575 replies 109 participants last post by  4feeter 
#1 · (Edited)
Just changed my dash/clock/boost gauge to blue LEDs, here's a few pictures.

To be honest the photo's don't do the look any justice, but is the best i can do. They are not as bright as the volkwagon cars, but looks good all the same.

Just got to do the rest of the switches, and the heater controls.

I just find that the clock has a bright spot, where the LED is behind. I have taken out the orange plastic, but this is the result. The LED has a flat end, would a rounded bulb be any better?

Cheers
Skelo

See less See more
#11 ·
The big ones have a rounded finsh yeah? the smaller ones should have too. I 'think' I have some at work somewhere, no promises. If I find 'em tomorrow you can have them.
I've seen the flat ones before, the beam would be narrow. Is that the same link twice or am I reading wrong?

#13 · (Edited)
#23 ·
I used the same bulb for the milometer (286? small wedge led), and put it into the clock (the time clock). Just had to shave the plastic casing of the bulb holder to fit the hole.

All i really need is a dome headed wedge bulb for the 2 digital clocks.

Then buy some from maplins for the switches, and some more 286 ones for the heater controls.

Then i think the job has been done.

Cheers
Skelo

#21 ·
As far as I can see they are a mix of 501 and 286 bulbs, I have these in a few different colours. I just opened the casing there and the only thing that would annoy me would be the red part of the dials, with blue bulbs, they are gonna look dim and discoloured. I have had a peek inside and I think you could make a small enclosure on the speed and rev dials to house a clear bulb to retain the bright red look. Which would compliment the blue of the rest. Tedious work, but it would have good results.

#41 ·
So then i've gone ahead with it, i've bought 3 bulbs for the dash (blue) hoping to get the effect you got :)

cost me £4 for 3 inc postage not bad :)

Used the link from skrib ;)

I'll see how this goes then update the others at another time :)

I hope to get them tomorrow, ordered them last night...hopefully posted today, 1st class. Knowing my luck they'll come monday

#43 ·
I've bought a pack of 20 (286's) LEDs for a good price, i like the slightly darker dash, not too bright for driving at night (which i do quite a bit of).

I'll try the tipex idea (other correctional fluids are available!!! :lol:).

I checked the website, and they have nothing listed for the rover. But i guess other manufactuers use the same bulbs.

Cheers
Skelo

#52 ·
I've been trying to change the colour in my switches for ages, as described already i have tried the sub minature bulbs in blue but although i got them to fit eventually they faded really quickly, colour bleached, and now they look cheap.

Been attempting to fit RED and GREEN 12v 3mm LED's in to the original bulb holders and it works fine but not possible to use blue LED's with the resistor as there is just no space for both.

I still haven't found a solution to enable the use of the 3mm Blue LED's :mad:

Just a pointer for the original poster, when i changed my time clock for a blue LED i used a piece of laminated white paper cut to the size of the original orange filter and it worked well, no hot spot, however i see no reason why the Tipex idea wouldn't work just as well if not better.

Garry

#53 ·
Just a pointer for the original poster, when i changed my time clock for a blue LED i used a piece of laminated white paper cut to the size of the original orange filter and it worked well, no hot spot, however i see no reason why the Tipex idea wouldn't work just as well if not better.

Garry
another thing u could do would be file the end of the led...i think someone on here has done that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.