Rover 200/25 Bubble Modification - has anyone done this before? Share your tips - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 19:38 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Send a message via MSN to george.edwards
Rover 200/25 Bubble Modification - has anyone done this before? Share your tips

Hello all bubble owners

I'm an owner of a 1998 rover 214Si and I'm modifying it slightly, so I thought beings as I'm no expert, among a forum of many experts I'm sure, it might be a good idea to ask for some tips and advice, ideas and suggestions etc etc with regards to modding these cars.

So if you've got a modified Rover 200, why not share some pictures here, tips, a list of mods, etc. Better still, if you've modded your bubble to look like the wonderful ZR, share photos and tips here as well.

What I'm currently looking for advice about is colour coding the trims on the bubble to be the same colour as the rest of the car. For example the chrome trims on front and back bumper, and black trims on doors. Has anyone done this, if so how would you go about doing it?

Thanks!! Get posting modders!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 19:40

Car: Other Manufacturer
HERE is a good start
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 19:42 Thread Starter

I really hate it when people do that, I don't find the search engines on PHP boards that useful...I just wanted to make a centralised place where people can share photos and stuff to help others who are lookign to mod their cars. Sorry!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 19:47

Car: Other Manufacturer
when its been covered a million and one time before????

bah!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 19:57

Car: 2014 MG3 Style Lux and 2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sportspack
Send a message via MSN to MGR_Petrolhead
yeah but he doesnt know that - hes a new member and we're here to help!

Hi and welcome to the forums - i hope you find them useful!

I am no modding expert but as an extra you might like to try posting in these places

MG Saloons and tourers - contains a ZR section

http://forums.mg-rover.org/a-13/

or the rover section

http://forums.mg-rover.org/others-14/

You might get some worthwile modding recommendations in there if you dont get a good reply here

---------------

I am a big fan of subtlety with modifications on the 200 - I recommend you dont make it another ZR copy unless yours is truly innovative. I'd say a mesh grille and body coloured bumper inserts are a good start, possibly some aftermarket alloys, or even the rover official ones. What colour is your 200?

happy posting!

Last edited by MGR_Petrolhead; 12-08-2006 at 20:08.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 20:19

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 01:15 Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Firstly @PetrolHead, thanks for the links, my rover is the non-metallic red, (I think its brigade red?). My next mod is likely to be some aftermarket alloys, hopefully some 17" OZ Hydras/Records with 205/40/17 tyres on. I also want to get some springs and lower by about 30-40mm as well. I don't want to go right the way down the ZR route, cos that would be pushing it and it wouldn't be very original, I want to make it a "tastefully modded" 200. By the front bumper inserts, do you mean the silver/chrome strips or the little black plastic bits that deflect air onto the brakes? I agree both should be colour coded, but I'm not sure how I would start in getting that done.

Secondly, @Ashy, dude your car is absolutely gorgeous. I looked at it and my jaw dropped. I'm sure others will agree that it is nicer than the ZR Trophy SE, I would rather that than a ZR I think!!! Lovely!!! What alloys are on that? They look like dezents or TSW or something....and also how much did you lower it by? I like the way you've colour coded all the door handles and stuff, that really makes a difference. Lovely!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 09:02

Car: MGZT pbt derv
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.edwards
Secondly, @Ashy, dude your car is absolutely gorgeous. I looked at it and my jaw dropped. I'm sure others will agree that it is nicer than the ZR Trophy SE, I would rather that than a ZR I think!!! Lovely!!! What alloys are on that? They look like dezents or TSW or something....and also how much did you lower it by? I like the way you've colour coded all the door handles and stuff, that really makes a difference. Lovely!
*predicts ashy's head will NOT, fit in the building now!!! *

Cheers
Skelo
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 09:11

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelo
*predicts ashy's head will NOT, fit in the building now!!! *
LOL! The Trophy rear lights look laaaaarvly with the Tahiti Blue paint.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 10:11

Tahiti blue is the best colour rover ever did IMO

Quote:
do you mean the silver/chrome strips or the little black plastic bits that deflect air onto the brakes? I agree both should be colour coded, but I'm not sure how I would start in getting that done.
George you could alter both to colour coded items if you wish - if you are doing a larger scale modification to the car then the chrome strip might be better replaced with tahiti blue ones. A more subtle modification that is classy might require the chrome strips to stay......

I am no expert hence my rarer than usual appearances into this section however someone on here might direct you to a parts supplier of such body colour items. They will probably also tell you how to apply them onto your car

Quote:
my rover is the non-metallic red, (I think its brigade red?).

no you're car is either flame red or solar red. Got a sneeky feeling its the latter although I am not totally sure.

Quote:
Secondly, @Ashy, dude your car is absolutely gorgeous. I looked at it and my jaw dropped. I'm sure others will agree that it is nicer than the ZR Trophy SE, I would rather that than a ZR I think!!! Lovely!!! What alloys are on that?
I mentioned in my previous post that when choosing alloys, official rover ones could be a good option, although they arent a necessity obviously but look a bit more special sometimes. Away from the normal route. Ashy's wheels are from the Rover streetwise olympic LE special edition which are quite rare and look stunning. There are plenty of other rover wheels to choose from such as serpent, turbine, 9 spoke, 8 spoke, or the 200Vi wheels for example.

Hope this all helps
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 11:57 Thread Starter

Cool thanks for that post mate, regarding my colour etc. About those alloys, very nice, didn't realise they were rover!!! I had some turbines on my old rover until some guy pulled out in front of me and I wrote it off, damaging one of them irrepairably, so I decided to leave them on there and thus the insurance company paid out more due to them being there. I'll sit on ebay for a bit see if I can see some similar wheels, I quite like the BRM 16s for example those are very nice.

If someone would point me in the right direction regarding getting some of the body colour coded, mainly the front black plastic bits (where the fog lights would usually sit) and also the black plastic strips along the sides, I would be very appreciative.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 12:42

9 spoke alloys

Blade alloys

cosmos alloys similar in style to BRM ones..

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 13:12 Thread Starter

Hehe cool, very nice. I've been looking at those on ebay but still they are reasonably rare to come by. I know there was one guy in Birmingham selling off loads of alloys that he had got from Longbridge from the administrators, that was pretty cool, I paid £260 for my turbines with Conti tyres on. I duno if he still stocks them and/or the street wise ones
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 14:50

the xpart online shop sells such wheels but they are expensive at over£200 each!!

However it must be understood that ebay cannot be competed with, particularly as it contains items which are one extreme of value to another - some are rip-offs, and some have a buy it now/starting price well below what it should be.

Just keep searching like mad! Sometimes if you want a 'precious' or rare or usually expensive item you have to scour for ages to find a great deal. If you get them straight away its usually pure luck.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 15:15 Thread Starter

Yeh I agree completely mate, searching is the best way. But I'm probably gona go to a site like http://www.performancealloys.com and get some OZ records or hydras. They a £95 each ish without tyres, then I'll take them somewhere and get the tyres fitted and then fitted to the car. should be nice!!!

So does anyone know about painting the front black bits then? Because I've seen someones car on here thats had it done....please someone share some tips!!!

Hehehe oh and another question, you might know petrolhead - how would you go about a complete respray just out of interest? I've heard its usually about £100 per panel but I may be wrong. Does anyone know of any decent body shops that would offer said service in the Herefordshire area?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.edwards
Yeh I agree completely mate, searching is the best way. But I'm probably gona go to a site like http://www.performancealloys.com and get some OZ records or hydras. They a £95 each ish without tyres, then I'll take them somewhere and get the tyres fitted and then fitted to the car. should be nice!!!

So does anyone know about painting the front black bits then? Because I've seen someones car on here thats had it done....please someone share some tips!!!

Hehehe oh and another question, you might know petrolhead - how would you go about a complete respray just out of interest? I've heard its usually about £100 per panel but I may be wrong. Does anyone know of any decent body shops that would offer said service in the Herefordshire area?
Sorry its something I don't know really although unless you search around a lot respraying could be expensive. Keep returning to this thread and someone might have the answer

That performance alloys site is good, it has a great search engine. I dont like the shiny machined alloys though.

Best of luck

Last edited by MGR_Petrolhead; 13-08-2006 at 15:31.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 15:54

Car: Fiat Panda 100HP
Heres a gallery of my old 214.
Clicky
There is a lot of old pictures in there too.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 15:58

apart from some of the lovely official rover ones, those wheels on your past 200 stiff are great. Popular as well though. I believe livelifetothemax has them on his 200.
george they are available on performancealloys.com
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 16:02

Car: Fiat Panda 100HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR_Petrolhead
apart from some of the lovely official rover ones, those wheels on your past 200 stiff are great. Popular as well though. I believe livelifetothemax has them on his 200.
He has to Toora plat 8s. Mine were a cheaper version. I didn't have much money I think they were best suited to the shape of the bubble
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-08-2006, 16:40 Thread Starter

very nice stiff!!!! Thats what I mean about the colour coded plastic bits at the front....how do you go about doing that? And how much did you pay for your spoiler, including fitting/painting...?