How do I create a "Car of the week" Album? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-04-2011, 11:06 Thread Starter

Car: CityRover
How do I create a "Car of the week" Album?

There's been a few instances recently where I've had to guide people through this process and I thought I'd have a go at creating a guide.

The car of the week album's are available to supporters only, you are entitled to 2 albums per user, each with a maximum of 6 pictures.
The system will automatically choose a new album to use each Sunday night and that album will scroll through the images on the main website front page.

Now, here's the tricky part... As the banner on the main site is a set size, your images also have to be a set size and that is 565 x 256 pixels.
This is what causes most of the issues for most members and I'm going to try and explain to you how to satisfy this requirement without your images either being rejected (due to them being the wrong pixel sizing or due to them being distorted).

60% of members attempt to directly re-size their images by scaling them to the above pixel requirements. This is the wrong method and will always end up distorting/stretching your images (which doesn't look good on the main page).

Step one of this process is to ensure you have a good selection of photos.
As we will be cropping the photos after we've scaled them, please try and take photos which have some area above and below them.

Here's the photo I'll be using as an example (Note, its had the numberplate blanked out, please ensure you do this on your photos too).

As you can see, there's plenty of space for cropping both above and below the photo.

The next step is to edit your image so that it is reduced in size. I'm going to be using "The Gimp" photo editing software just to show you what we're trying to achieve.

First of all, I'm going to reduce the photo in size, but while keeping the aspect ratio of the photo.
In the screen grab below, you can see I've used the "scale image" option. I'm going to keep the little chain link button on which means the photo will be scaled whilst keeping its aspect ratio. The box which is highlighted is the width of the photo which I've changed from 800 to 565. It will automatically adjust the height to keep it in aspect ratio.

After I've pressed "scale" the image will now be reduced in size but without stretching/distorting it.

The next stage is to crop it which will bring the height down to the required 256 pixels.
Again I've done this in "the gimp", but using the "canvas size" option.
It looks similar to the scale image option, but this time I'm going to unlock the little padlock (which allows you then to crop the image).
The width is already at the correct pixel size so I'm going to leave that alone now, but I'll change the bottom figure for the height to 256.

As you can see in the screen grab below, it now brings up a rectangular box. This is the image that you're going to be left with and everything outside of this box will now be cropped out/removed.

As you can see, I've moved the image around so that the object of interest is within the box (now you can see why you need some spare space around the image).

After pressing the resize button it will crop the image and you'll be left with this.

This is now the perfect size image for the car of the week and its not distorted/squashed.

You can now use this image and upload it via the user CP panel into your car of the week gallery.

You may find that your photos may take a day or two to get checked by moderators/admins so don't worry if you can't see them straight away.

Please note, this is only for the "car of the week" gallery and we don't have these size restrictions for your "garage" cars.

Any questions, or help needed at all please feel free to get in touch. I'll also help anyone to resize their photos and email them back if anyone's struggling.

Phil.

Last edited by Phil; 28-03-2014 at 18:11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 26-04-2011, 21:48

No thoughts about applying that retrospectively to the existing 'cars of the week' that are hideously out of proportion and look like they've been etch-a-sketched by a 3 year old?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 27-04-2011, 15:33 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardK View Post
No thoughts about applying that retrospectively to the existing 'cars of the week' that are hideously out of proportion and look like they've been etch-a-sketched by a 3 year old?

Yep I'm already taking that into consideration but i'm going to be doing it on a week by week basis rather than go through them all in one big go, bearing in mind approximatly half of them are out of proportion/distorted already.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 27-04-2011, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Yep I'm already taking that into consideration but i'm going to be doing it on a week by week basis rather than go through them all in one big go, bearing in mind approximatly half of them are out of proportion/distorted already.
Good on ya..I'd be embarrassed if it was my car looking so distorted on the front of the site
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 29-07-2012, 14:24 Thread Starter

Just a quick reminder. Please follow the above instructions should you wish to upload a "car of the week" album. Just had to delete about a dozen albums as they didn't come up to the required standard for size.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 29-07-2012, 23:23

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
CBA lol, my cars are crap anyway.