Chinese made MG or British made Triumph? Hard one that... - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:01 Thread Starter

Car: Other Rover
Chinese made MG or British made Triumph? Hard one that...

Just wondering if people think it's a co-indicence that BMW may decide to start making new Triumph's at a time when MG production in the UK is looking less and less certain....

Take MG away from us and we will defect to Triumph!!!!!! Are you reading this Nanjing??? In Triumph we now have plan B....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:11

Car: Sandero
Errm No i would not buy a triumph unless its a TR6, especially if its from BMW, i have morals!! (but i would buy a new rover from BMW dunno y i just would)
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:24
Banned

Car: MG ZT
if it comes to a toss up between a british made triumph and a ****** chinese built "rover" i know what im going for, i dont care if bmw own it, there still investing in britain, and i will support that as im a patriot end of story, and i have no interest whatsoever in a car built by a chinese company in china

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:27

Car: Rover 75 MK I Tourer
I'm not interested in a Chinese built MG

I am interested in a British built Triumph, but not one that has anything to do with the Bavarians.

Primarily, I want a British built MG or Rover.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:32
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonteLad

I am interested in a British built Triumph, but not one that has anything to do with the Bavarians.

dont we all pal, however theres more chance of charles kennedy staying on the wagon than that happening
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:34

Car: ZS180/R45 2.0TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonteLad

Same here. The trouble is it's not likely to happen. But if they're made elsewhere we may as well buy Protons or Hyundai etc.

That's the dilemma. And if this the situation there are better alternatives like Rover Jockey says. Jag and MINI (or even Honda) are more worthy causes.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:38

Car: MG ZS120(2005) ■■■■■□□□□□□
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover jockey
if it comes to a toss up between a british made triumph and a ****** chinese built "rover" i know what im going for, i dont care if bmw own it, there still investing in britain, and i will support that as im a patriot end of story, and i have no interest whatsoever in a car built by a chinese company in china
I can't belive it rover jockey .

I thought you had something against non-British cars but it seems you actually are just anti-Chinese!

When Nanjing-MG start making British MGs at Longbridge I suspect you will reject those too?...
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:41

Car: 2014 MG3 Style Lux and 2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sportspack
Send a message via MSN to MGR_Petrolhead
i would still have the MG, because the triumphs would probably be sold at high prices alike the mini, however it COULD like the mini be a price people are prepared to pay...
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:44

Car: Volvo S40
Windy... I'm sorry, I can't see where you're coming from at all. I personally have no interest in any Chinese car made by a Chinese company in China. Doesn't necessarily make me anti Chinese, not of course that there's anything necessarily wrong with being either antiChina or proChina,

With reference to RJ's post Windy, I think you're reading something into it that isn't here.

Anyhow can we keep this on track please and talk about cars?

Thanks

John

John
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSwitzer
Windy... I'm sorry, I can't see where you're coming from at all. I personally have no interest in any Chinese car made by a Chinese company in China. Doesn't necessarily make me anti Chinese, not of course that there's anything necessarily wrong with being either antiChina or proChina,

John
Sorry it wasn't clear to you John but I intend to choose a British made MG.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:52

Car: 2009 Mercury Grand Marquis
Tough one, a British-designed, British-built car made by a British-based subsidiary of the company that shafted Rover, OR a *******ized Chinese-made derivative of a once-great British car. Most on this forum would probably respond with something to the effect of "neither one, I'm taking my business to LTI!".

Of course, when comparing the two, a British-built Triumph is still going to be a British car, even if the company that makes it is owned by BMW, while a Chinese-built MG is going to be a Chinese car, especially if the company that builds it is owned by NAC/FAW/SAIC.
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 17:57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy
I can't belive it rover jockey .

I thought you had something against non-British cars but it seems you actually are just anti-Chinese!

When Nanjing-MG start making British MGs at Longbridge I suspect you will reject those too?...
what cant you believe??, that im a patriot?, i love british cars ideally built by a british owned company if that isnt going to happen i will, if feasable buy the next best thing a car built in britain by britons ,and hopefuly using a high percentage of british components, whats so hard to believe about that pal?? and im not anti chinese i just dont have any interest in cars built in china, korea, malaysia japan usa if i cant buy a car built in britain then id buy one built in europe, not difficult is it ????
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 18:16

Ahh, OK - so you will buy a British built MG in future, even if the brand is owned by Nanjing.

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 18:18

i just dont have any interest in cars built in china, korea, malaysia japan usa if i cant buy a car built in britain then id buy one built in europe

Well I wouldn't buy a European one that's for sure. After all, few if any jobs within the British motor industry moved eastwards... most moved southwards to Euroland. Anyhow, a Jaguar X Type looks ever more likely for the Switzer household

John
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 18:19

i just dont have any interest in cars built in china, korea, malaysia japan usa if i cant buy a car built in britain then id buy one built in europe

Well I wouldn't buy a European one that's for sure. After all, few if any jobs within the British motor industry moved eastwards... most moved southwards to Euroland. Anyhow, a Jaguar X Type looks ever more likely for the Switzer household

John
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 18:19

John
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 18:28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSwitzer

John
i am a true blue brit first and foremost, if there has to be a second place im european ,so a car built in europe like say a volvo which i believe use a quite high percentage of british sourced parts would be my second choice a bledin proton or a kia who use no british or european parts is not even to be considered call me an eccentric fruit cake but thats me
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 18:44

Car: Please Select
If a company has a commitment to the UK in terms of investment, employment and ideally are sourcing parts and carrying out development work here then they deserve credit for doing so.

If a future MG is making cars here, investing here and developing here then even if an individual model is made elsewhere then I don't mind. If MG is just an out and out Chinese company then history is bunk and it may as well be a Perodua.
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 18:47

Car: Please Select
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover jockey
i am a true blue brit first and foremost, if there has to be a second place im european ,so a car built in europe like say a volvo which i believe use a quite high percentage of british sourced parts would be my second choice a bledin proton or a kia who use no british or european parts is not even to be considered call me an eccentric fruit cake but thats me
I agree. We are a European country and part of the European economy. The days of "them and us" with regard to Europe are well over. It's Europe v Rest of World these days economic wise.

All European economies are totally interdependent on each other. If a major European economy does badly it drags everyone down.
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 19:24

Car: MGF and MG ZT-T (also Mk3 Triumph Spitfire and Mk1 Austin Mini)
It's not a hard question at all. A British built Triumph would be my choice. But of course, I'd rather have a British-built MG.

John, I'm with you: a Jag X-type is likely to replace our dear MG ZTT - but since we bought the MG in clear preference to the Jag last time, it would be very much a second choice