An Eventful Day. Some good and bad luck. Mainly Bad. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 20:35 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
An Eventful Day. Some good and bad luck. Mainly Bad.

Stopped raining early and with drying roads, loaded up the ZT-T with nine alloy wheels for refurbishing. Four MG ZT Gridspokes and Five MG Metro 12" Pepperpots. Plus an early Metro front bumper centre section and a Rover 620ti Battery Tray. The wheels to be finished in Flat Silver Gloss and the Bumper and Tray in Black Gloss.

Leaving at mid-day, superb run up the M5 with light traffic and dry roads ... no spray from all the trucks. Soon arrived at Digbeth B'Ham with the wheels etc. No hurry.. should be ready in about a week and will ring when done. :~

On the way back, pulled up in a lay by and put some rubbish in a waste bin. Left engine running. About to get back in the car then heard a muffled explosion under the bonnet. Then lots of steam ... Lifting the bonnet revealed this. Another top hose bites the dust :~

That's the third 1.8t Top Hose to wear out in three years. The rubber felt like it no longer had any strength. Very soft to the touch. Obviously cannot drive with no coolant so what to do. I thought about phoning my son and getting him to bring the 620ti and A-Frame or even the rigid tow bar. Then I remembered I had an AA Relay card in my wallet. Never called the AA in over fifty years of motoring. My wife added me to her AA cover on the off chance I might need it some day. That day was today. The helpful AA receptionist lady was very helpful on the phone. Someone will be there in less than an hour. Got a text message apologising for a delay ... will be another half hour. So after 90 minutes, the AA Guy arrived with a brand new Van and some impressive recovery kit. Obvious roadside repair not possible and car needs to be recovered home. He had no objection if I took some pictures of the operation. :~

All set for the return home.

Got talking to the AA Rescue guy who had been with them for eleven years. Local to B'Ham. Previously, ex-Longbridge and Land Rover. Had some nice jobs with them including visits to Death Valley for testing vehicles in the heat etc. He explained that they would switch off the engines after driving in the heat up steep hills and see what gives ... heat sink scenario .. literally. Pressure in the cooling system in the stationary cars' hot engines will show up any problems. Bit like the stopped engine in my car revealed a worn out hose .. bit of irony there.

So mixed fortunes today but, no real harm done.

Rather than negotiate the tighter corners with the Towing Dolly near my home, we pulled up about 200 yards from my home to unhitch the Dolly. With a stone cold engine, no harm driving that short distance and parking up. :~

Car safely back home and should be an easy fix. I'm going to make up a Top Hose ( or two ) from better quality more durable material.

The BAD Luck:~ Having a Top Hose give way.

The GOOD Luck :~ Having the hose let go in a safe lay by. Better that than on the Motorway in the overtaking lane. Plus, the hose problem occurred on the homeward trip having safely dropped off the wheels.

On balance, the good outweighed the bad.

Finally, was impressed with the overall service provided by the AA's Relay Service. The only time I've ever used the AA and on this first experience... recommended.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 21:02

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Those fold out dollies are clever stuff.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 21:09

Car: MG ZS
Hard luck! i have always been with the AA as things like this can happen to ANY vehicle, i had a ford Ka that might as well have been permanently strapped to the back of an AA wagon, my old citroen liked munching batteries and doing something to its clutch that only the AA seemed to know how to fix, all in all very professional and always nice people too, just one word of warning, they are not to be used if you have a crash, it ends up costing an absolute fortune and that is even if they agree to help you in the first place

i cant get over how cute those little metro wheels are say inside the ZT ones, like Russian dolls! As for a new hose, could you not fabricate something from silicone hoses? www.autosiliconehoses.com carry all kinds of bends and lengths of silicone and alloy pipes, its great quality and at a good price, my intake pipes are made from their stuff and i havnt had a single issue

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 21:30

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
Those fold out dollies are clever stuff.
Much better than the old A Frame's
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 21:42 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furryroo View Post
Hard luck! i have always been with the AA as things like this can happen to ANY vehicle, i had a ford Ka that might as well have been permanently strapped to the back of an AA wagon, my old citroen liked munching batteries and doing something to its clutch that only the AA seemed to know how to fix, all in all very professional and always nice people too, just one word of warning, they are not to be used if you have a crash, it ends up costing an absolute fortune and that is even if they agree to help you in the first place

i cant get over how cute those little metro wheels are say inside the ZT ones, like Russian dolls! As for a new hose, could you not fabricate something from silicone hoses? Quality Silicone Hoses - Buy Silicon Hoses Direct or Call 0844 8000 669 - AutoSiliconeHoses.com carry all kinds of bends and lengths of silicone and alloy pipes, its great quality and at a good price, my intake pipes are made from their stuff and i havnt had a single issue
Funny you mention that. Just got off the phone speaking to my car mad son Martin. He now lives thirty odd miles away having set up home with his good lady about a year ago. He had the same thought and suggested using Silicone Hoses. Bit of research should see something to suit this application is possible. The top hose on the 1.8t cars has a special quick release connector to the Coolant Outlet Elbow Assembly on the right of the Cylinder Head. Should be possible to use that. :~

Elbow-engine coolant outlet - Genuine MG Rover at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

This is the hose with the Spring Release Plastic Assembly :~

Hose - Engine to T Piece - 1.8T PRT - Genuine MG Rover at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

Yours for a mere sixty odd quid each!

I'll look into it. Meantime I'll remove the hose from one of the SORN cars to keep this one going whilst I research the Silicone possibilities.

B>>M>>W ....

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 15:46

Car: CityRover
It's a pity these hoses were such a weak point. They lead to many cars suffering hgf needlessly, especially when owners didn't keep an eye on the coolant levels.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 19:54 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickChilds View Post
It's a pity these hoses were such a weak point. They lead to many cars suffering hgf needlessly, especially when owners didn't keep an eye on the coolant levels.
Coolant loss by any means leading to overheating is the prime cause of Cylinder Head Gasket damage and even Engine damage ... in most cars.

These hoses are all over ten-twelve years old now. Some more. Old age doesn't help here. Not me but, I'm talking the effects of many cold engine starts, hot engine runs and switch off heat cold cycles. Maybe thousands of times as the miles and years go by. This can and does accelerate deterioration and fatigues the rubber material in coolant hoses subjected to all those cold-hot-cold cycles.

However, unlike most of the other hoses used on these 1.8t cars and other Rovers, based on three Top Hoses which exploded dumping all the coolant in my own experience, looking at where the rubber fatigue fractured I believe there was a manufacturing weakness which lets go after many miles and years. It would almost certainly not show up in routine manufacturer testing programmes prior to production which do include wear and tear fatigue cycles but not problems with ageing involving many years and use cycles.

The weakness in the three hoses I have had let go are all along a seam in the hose's moulding during manufacture process. Here's a close up of the latest one which let go two days ago along that seam:~

Clearly the tear follows that manufactured seam. Just as the previous one did along that same seam in a different place nearer the cylinder head end. :~

Anyway, the car is now up and running fine again which is a bonus. Actually with more than one bonus as a result of this fractured hose incident. Tell you why.

Then fitting the good used replacement Top Hose and topping up the cooling system, after bleeding it from that 8mm Bleed Bolt above the Bell Housing. Old removed and replacement fitted :~

Then I poured all the SPEEDFlush into the cooling system. Only water used although no doubt some old Antifreeze still lurking in the system. I did not drain it completely. So this stuff is in and I took it for a drive having bleed the system and engine nice and warm.

Now I have mentioned how disappointed I am with the heater output of my ZT-T 1.8Ts. Compared to the other 1.8 K-Series ( MG ZS ) in the family and the T-Series Turbos. Luke warm only in comparison with all turned up to eleven! .. I had only driven two miles today when I was surprised at the sudden increase of heat output from the heater. Far warmer than at any time in the previous seven months of daily driving. Few miles later, more improvement in heater output. Good. Obviously the SPEEDFlush is doing its stuff and possibly has shifted any crud or snake oil type Head Gasket Liquid Repair stuff lurking in the Heater Matrix and elsewhere in the cooling system. After all, I bought this car from a local dealership who took it in P/X with suspect so called HGF. Fifteen hundred miles later, no positive signs of that. This is not the first time SPEEDFlush has worked its stuff on my project cars. Please note and be warned. I do NOT follow the SPEEDFlush manufacturer's instructions "on the tin", which advises only fast idle for a period. What I do is take the car for a drive and 20-30 miles later, drain and hose out the system thoroughly with an ordinary garden hose then fill with 50-50 Anti-Freeze mix.

This has worked for me several times in the past but, I am not recommending the process only that it works for me.

Soooo ... I now have a ZT-T with heater output more like my old bones appreciate in these wintery lower temperatures.

There was another bonus as I worked in the superb late winter sunshine. A very active Red Admiral Butterfly flying about in the micro-climate which is my south facing garden catching all the sun for hours even in midwinter. Got a couple of pictures too. One on my shed and another as it sunbathed on my patio.

In very good condition considering it must be several months old plus at least two months in hibernation. I did see one briefly in the garden in mid-January on a rare sunny day. Maybe this one. Who knows.

There's more. Yet another bonus to complete this fine day. 'bout time I had a change of luck for the better. Whilst working on the cars in the fine sunshine, I had the radio on with Radio5Live football coverage. Could not believe those scores coming in but, they were real. Good day all round as I won a few quid on both singles and combination Premiership football bets. Thanks and well done West Ham, Sunderland and Chelsea. Had Stoke won my Yankee would be complete. Can't win 'em all... But. I'll keep trying ....

Oh yes, yet more. Later in the dark, I used a new Gizmo which I bought yesterday having seen a larger version used by the AA's rescue Guy in his brand new van. A Work Light. This one :~

Just the job. That on half power. Here it is in action :~

B>>M>>W ....