MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Jeremy Clarkson

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  StreetBoy 
#1 ·
You know... Jeremy Clarkson has said some horrible things about MG-Rover, and certainly didn't do us any favours when he bad mouthed MG-Rover at a time when we really needed all the support we could muster.

However, I do think he is a talented and funny journalist who say's exactly what he thinks, which is a trait I respect and admire in people, and so can forgive him to a certain degree. I've read a lot of his stuff and in my opinion, the world would be much more boring without him!

However, am I the only person here that thinks he is pretty useless behind the wheel of a car and seems to carry out practical tasks in a lame way?:gfight:

Just a thought!:stir:

#4 ·
More ... ? ....I have never found 'the world' boring .... ever .... ;)

A world without genuine tru-brit MGs and Rovers will be less interesting for many. that I would miss /// JC I would not.

.... :stir: .... :)

#6 ·
I'm waiting for him to say things like ALL Vauxhalls are unrelaible ... or, all BMWs are so unreliable .... he won't because it's not true.

He did say that about MGs.

You don't need an honoury degree in engineering to spot the difference.

#10 ·
#14 ·
I find Jeremy Clarkson funny, but he is a showman over a car reviewer. He's more interested in giving you a good story about a car than telling you the truth about it.

Have you ever noticed how his reviews of good cars start off bad? and his reviews of bad cars start off good? It's all about making TV, and not about giving car buyers worthwhile reviews.

That's fair enough though, because Top Gear does make good viewing. I'd rather see a scripted race to Paris than a 10-minute review of Skoda Octavia. I do think he goes too far though in his silly prejudices. In the case of MG Rover he was partly responsible for its demise. There was no need to slag it off to the extent that he did. MG Rover did produce good cars and nobody is expecting him to lie just because they're British. It'd just have been nice if he was fair when it came to MG Rover. Instead, he chose to be extremely polarised for the sake of good copy and TV.

#16 ·
I find Jeremy Clarkson funny, but he is a showman over a car reviewer. He's more interested in giving you a good story about a car than telling you the truth about it.

Have you ever noticed how his reviews of good cars start off bad? and his reviews of bad cars start off good? It's all about making TV, and not about giving car buyers worthwhile reviews.

That's fair enough though, because Top Gear does make good viewing. I'd rather see a scripted race to Paris than a 10-minute review of Skoda Octavia. I do think he goes too far though in his silly prejudices. In the case of MG Rover he was partly responsible for its demise. There was no need to slag it off to the extent that he did. MG Rover did produce good cars and nobody is expecting him to lie just because they're British. It'd just have been nice if he was fair when it came to MG Rover. Instead, he chose to be extremely polarised for the sake of good copy and TV.
Very good point, I agree.:)

#15 ·
Top Gear would be much better if Clarkson was'nt on it!
His slagging off of MGR in the past really got up my nose and as an MGR salesman at the time it really caused problems for us, he also slags off Britain and it's rules and regs which is even more annoying. If he does'nt like it then he should move abroad and do the show there.
I personally don't like the speed restrictions and cameras on our roads but at the end of the day you would hear me slagging the country off just because of them and other road rules.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.