"The K-Series Head Gasket" - PPC Magazine technical article. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 13-05-2008, 10:57 Thread Starter
Mmmm....Rover..

Car: Mk2 ZS 160, 200vi(RIP) & Freelander XEDi
Send a message via MSN to technozen
"The K-Series Head Gasket" - PPC Magazine technical article.

I found this technical article in an old issue (July 2007) of Practical Performance Car magazine.

The four pages below are low quality .jpg's, larger and more legible .jpg's can be downloaded from the links below.

My thanks to Grant Stacey and the team at PPC magazine for giving permission to reproduce the article here.

Page 1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/b3xfhq
Page 2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/o17hsk
Page 3: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0tsz3a
Page 4: http://www.sendspace.com/file/30psbm

REPRODUCED WITH KIND PERMISSION OF PRACTICAL PERFORMANCE CAR MAGAZINE
www.ppcmag.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ppc_rover_hgf_comp1.jpg (99.6 KB, 1290 views)
File Type: jpg ppc_rover_hgf_comp2.jpg (75.2 KB, 1245 views)
File Type: jpg ppc_rover_hgf_comp3.jpg (87.7 KB, 890 views)
File Type: jpg ppc_rover_hgf_comp4.jpg (71.1 KB, 940 views)

Free Fob Programming and Diagnostics for forum Supporters... see here.

Pektron SCU/BCU Technical Information and Common Faults... see here.

Discounted Pektron SCU/BCU Relay Replacement for forum Supporters... see here.

Last edited by technozen; 04-12-2010 at 22:28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 13-05-2008, 11:28

Car: Rover 45
Good read but I have to disagree with the ealry engine. They seem bullet proof and I have never had one fail under 120K. The later ones from 97 onwards I have had fail at diffrent amounts some with only 12K on the clock.
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 13-05-2008, 13:10
Never forgotten

Car: Other Manufacturer. Previously - more Rovers than I care to remember.
Nothing very ground breaking there, also agree with Sejin26.

I would take a small issue with some of the points raise -

Wet Liners - the original engine had them, but the later engines were not truly wet, they were "damp".

Freelander engines produced on a different line - there was only one K Series line at Longbridge while I was there. I suppose this may have changed later on, but it would surprise me if there was a dedicated facility. The investment would have been huge. Freelander engines fail more often due mainly to the way the transmission is mounted. They also see full load more often.

Plastic dowels - The engineers were not such idiots as stated. The plastic dowels were introduced during the time of the wet liner engines when their only function was to help alignment for assembly. They did not cause a problem at that time. The steel dowels were reintroduced with a tight fit in an attempt to stop movement between block and head on the later, weak engines.

Compression limiters - they are not the reason for the lower fire ring loads imposed by the MLS gasket. Fire ring loading is carefully engineered into the design of the gasket. Even the elastomeric one!

Only build with 0.004" - 0.005" liner protrusion - You won't often find an engine with 0.005" and I know that plenty of engines live quite happily with 0.002" The MLS gasket may well be less tolerant, but I have no experience of this. As a Service fix gasket, I would have thought that it would be designed to help the maximum number of engine conditions, including slightly low liners. (speculation)

Always fit a remote thermostat - Although it gives the gasket an easier life, it did not solve the problems with Freelander. I would class it as a nice-to-have.

Last edited by 1955diesel; 13-05-2008 at 13:35.

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 13-05-2008, 15:11

Car: Rover 620ti, Metro 1.8 VVC, 1982 X reg MG Metro 1300, Rover 214Si Lotus Elise S2, Porsche 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejin26 View Post
Good read but I have to disagree with the ealry engine. They seem bullet proof and I have never had one fail under 120K. The later ones from 97 onwards I have had fail at diffrent amounts some with only 12K on the clock.
Also early k-series with alloy thermostat housings have a 82 degree stat, later with plastic have a 88 degree stat.
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 14-05-2008, 07:58

Car: MG
The K-series in the FL goes well.

The problem with the FL is the extra oil cooler for the IRD (Intermediate Reduction Drive/transfer box), the engine is very enclosed with the undertray (keeps the crud out and heat in), heatsoak and airflow can be an issue. A simple air scoop cut into the engine undertray keeps it all cool.

Check out this K4:

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/thi...ars-48465.html

Not many engines would trundle on with 3 cylinders.

Clutchdust (LR technician) claims that the MLS gasket can be used on heads that would otherwise be scrap. Not sure if he was referring to, warped, porosity or pitted damage?
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 14-05-2008, 08:07

Car: "Swifty" the Gun metal Gray Suzuki Swift 1.3 vvt
Send a message via MSN to Cirian75
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R. View Post
The K-series in the FL goes well.

The problem with the FL is the extra oil cooler for the IRD (Intermediate Reduction Drive/transfer box), the engine is very enclosed with the undertray (keeps the crud out and heat in), heatsoak and airflow can be an issue. A simple air scoop cut into the engine undertray keeps it all cool.

Check out this K4:

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/thi...ars-48465.html

Not many engines would trundle on with 3 cylinders.

Clutchdust (LR technician) claims that the MLS gasket can be used on heads that would otherwise be scrap. Not sure if he was referring to, warped, porosity or pitted damage?

Yoinks!!!!
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 14-05-2008, 20:44
Never forgotten

Quote:
Clutchdust (LR technician) claims that the MLS gasket can be used on heads that would otherwise be scrap.
This is a theory of mine, but I'll never be in a position to put it to the test now. I've put the question to someone who worked on the project and been told that it will not work, but I'm not sure I believe the answer.
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 15-05-2008, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955diesel View Post
This is a theory of mine, but I'll never be in a position to put it to the test now. I've put the question to someone who worked on the project and been told that it will not work, but I'm not sure I believe the answer.
Yes it stands to reason that the MLS would be less forgiving. Although as you have pointed out in other threads, a dropped liner would be an issue.

The above article is July 07, the MLS gasket was only available from Mar 06, I admire their optimism for being a cure all lol

Last edited by D.R.; 15-05-2008 at 14:55. Reason: Corrected by Technozen ;)
post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 15-05-2008, 13:35 Thread Starter
Mmmm....Rover..

Car: Mk2 ZS 160, 200vi(RIP) & Freelander XEDi
Send a message via MSN to technozen
Quote:
the MLS gasket was only available from Mar 07
?? I purchased a LR MLS gasket and modified oil rail from a LR dealer in Dublin in May 2006 and I believe Dr. Dave mentioned it's introduction/availability on these forums back in January 2006.

Free Fob Programming and Diagnostics for forum Supporters... see here.

Pektron SCU/BCU Technical Information and Common Faults... see here.

Discounted Pektron SCU/BCU Relay Replacement for forum Supporters... see here.
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 15-05-2008, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by technozen View Post
?? I purchased a LR MLS gasket and modified oil rail from a LR dealer in Dublin in May 2006 and I believe Dr. Dave mentioned it's introduction/availability on these forums back in January 2006.
Doh! I meant Mar 06, at least thats when it was available to Joe Public
post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 31-07-2008, 17:38

Car: rover 25 is daughters car
woweeee that is all a very good read, and also the various comments by members.

My motor a W reg. Rover 45 1.8 auto had to have a replacement engine nearly 12 months ago, it had apparently suffered sunken or loose liners, at least i can see that it is NOT the rare ocurence i thought it was.

needless to say i dont drive it very hard at all nowadays as a result, and i regularly get 37 mpg out of it and hopefully the engine will last a dammed site longer than the other one did, because if it happens again i shall have to throw it away cause it just aint worth it again.

tim.
post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 12:22

Car: 05 ZR+ TD 115 & 04 ZTT+ CDTi 135
Surely, someone at MGR must've known why the headgaskets failed at an alarming rate (even though they'd argue that its a tiny percentage of the total produced - I wonder if *every* HG will go at some point)?

Is it becuase if the reason leaked out that someone (read: everyone who suffered) would sue them for it???

I don't remeber the early 90s stuff ever having a reported problem with the HG, so what changed?

New machining process, new tools???

Or was it the switch from wet to damp liners? Which (I'm guessing here) drop (surely they must rise to com into contact with the gasket) over time becuase they're the weakest part in the ladder frame construction?

Or was it some other change that was introduced with the different liners?
post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 14:45

We read here and in many other motoring info about HG problems with K-series Rover engines.Can anyone advise the % of engines which end up with this problem?.Are we to assume 100%?????
post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 15:09

Its only about 30% at the most of all K series engine produced.

However I am a firm beleaver that they will all go in the end on the 4 cylinder engines.
post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:37

Car: 25, 75, MG ZR and MG TF
On ALL makes of engines the head gasket will eventually go, but what is not known is after how many miles.

I do find you very pessimistic recently sejin, what's wrong ?
post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 13-10-2008, 12:00

Car: MG ZR
OK then you clever lot.

My son's 2004 MG ZR 1.4 (105bhp) head gaskets has just gone, so to sumerise, what type of HG do I buy and where from?
post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 13-10-2008, 13:33
Never forgotten

Firstly, make sure it really has failed, perhaps by reading the Diagnosis thread in the How Do I? section. There is a lot of misdiagnosis about.

If you do change the gasket, the choice is yours. If the liner heights are a bit on the low side (0.002"), I would probably stick with the original, elastomeric type. You can expect this to last at least as long as your current one. Otherwise, the MLS gasket is probably an improvement. There are cheap ones available on eBay which seem to work perfectly well or you can go for the much more expensive item from a Land Rover dealer or similar. Either way, the secret to success is in the cleanliness and condition of the components. If the head has been cooked or you build with dirt on the surfaces, you are asking for a repeat failure.
post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 13-10-2008, 19:33

Car: Mazda RX-8
You could try out k-seal...has worked for me for a while...but it's losing water again slowly...!
post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 13-10-2008, 19:43

Car: MGF Trophy 160 in Trophy Yellow
Send a message via MSN to cjmillsnun
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonspurs View Post
You could try out k-seal...has worked for me for a while...but it's losing water again slowly...!
God no Please don't use this.
post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:39

Car: ZT CDTI+ 171 / ZT 1.8T 160
Send a message via Skype™ to hogwarzt
Unhappy Mgtf 160 2002 Hgf

HI, I need help with new to me MGTF 160. had it 3 months and its great, but there were signs of mayo on the dip stick, water loss. No oil in water though.

To cut the story short the HG was replaced under warranty...lucky for me, so Evans Halshaw said, but even now there still mayo build up. They've changed oil / water about 5 times now and said that the breather was also cleaned. I dont want to lay the matter to rest until I know that the problem has gone.

Can anybody tell me if mayo on the dip stick is accetible or not. Should I persist chasing Evan halshaw because there is a problem.