Rover 620 SLi - what a bargain! - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 17:50 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZTT
Smile Rover 620 SLi - what a bargain!

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and joined because I just bought a 1997 (R) Rover 620 SLi in Zircon Silver from BCA at Blackbushe. It's the later model with the colour coded door handles.

It was unbelievably cheap, but has a service history for its 83,000 miles, and drove home like an absolute dream - quiet, smooth, no rattles, gear lever doesn't slop about, and it gets up to 70+ with no effort at all. The bodywork is almost perfect, a couple of minor blemishes which I can easily fix, and there's not even a hint of a scuff on any of the alloy wheels!

I just can't believe that such a high quality car isn't rated by the motor trade - they were mostly dealers at the auction, but very few were interested in bidding.

Only faults I can find are the SRS light stays on, the driver's window sticks, and the radio turns itself off about 3 seconds after I turn it on.

I've already found solutions to the first two problems on this forum (thanks guys), and I suspect the radio fault may have something to do with the fact that half the digits are missing from the clock/radio/LED display, so I'm trying to find a new one of those to try and fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 18:19

Car: MG ZS200, MGZS T16, MGF SE 1.8i Wedgewood
Welcome to the forums and glad you are happy with your purchase.

Due to the collapse of the brand, it is a buyers market, great for those buying, not so good for those trying to sell, unless you are on here already!

There are some great cars to be had across the range, it's just the traders, they are still old fashioned.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 18:19

Car: Please Select
Apart from a few select model no dealers (legit ones anyway) are interested in a 1997 car - the potential liability is too high for what it can be sold for. A Mondeo, Vectra, 406 etc. from the same era (particularly a petrol) would have had the same lack of interest and price - it is not a 600 thing.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 20:22

Car: Classic Rover
But what the dealers are selling they're asking top dollar for them. There's a dealer on AutoTrader asking 1195 for a 1992 Rover 214!

Kev.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 20:57

Car: Please Select
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Davis View Post
But what the dealers are selling they're asking top dollar for them. There's a dealer on AutoTrader asking 1195 for a 1992 Rover 214!

Kev.
Simply because they have to cover themselves for the numerous things which could go wrong on an old car. Dealers can no longer "sell as seen" due to consumer legislation which is why most of the "dealers" left dealing in old stock are the green verge no address - no comebacks type.

Dealers can make money on other things so usually don't want the hassle. On the upside, if you want a cheap car you can get a perfectly servicable car for peanuts as the OP did.

Be a bit careful at cheap auctions though - there are some real dogs there and you might have to buy 2 or 3 before getting a decent one. The OP presumably did so well done.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 21:51

Car: CDTI 135 CONTEMPORY SE
I Have A Radio Which I Took Out Of My 600sli 1998,my Son Is Running The Car Now It To Is In Very Good Nick.
If You Ever Need Th E Radio Make Me An Offer 07831419387 Ken Nr Manchester
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 22:44

Car: Rover 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargepole View Post
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and joined because I just bought a 1997 (R) Rover 620 SLi in Zircon Silver from BCA at Blackbushe. It's the later model with the colour coded door handles.

It was unbelievably cheap, but has a service history for its 83,000 miles, and drove home like an absolute dream - quiet, smooth, no rattles, gear lever doesn't slop about, and it gets up to 70+ with no effort at all. The bodywork is almost perfect, a couple of minor blemishes which I can easily fix, and there's not even a hint of a scuff on any of the alloy wheels!

I just can't believe that such a high quality car isn't rated by the motor trade - they were mostly dealers at the auction, but very few were interested in bidding.

Only faults I can find are the SRS light stays on, the driver's window sticks, and the radio turns itself off about 3 seconds after I turn it on.

I've already found solutions to the first two problems on this forum (thanks guys), and I suspect the radio fault may have something to do with the fact that half the digits are missing from the clock/radio/LED display, so I'm trying to find a new one of those to try and fix it.
good choice,the 600 is an excellent car and still looks great.
the clock/display is a common fault and wont affect your radio working.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 14:15

Car: Rover 600
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel3829 View Post
good choice,the 600 is an excellent car and still looks great.
the clock/display is a common fault and wont affect your radio working.
Correct. It can also be fixed if you can get at it. Repairs are similar to the 200/400 clock display. Suspect you stereo needs replacing. R860s are cheap to get hold of these days and so are the RC026 changers that go with it.

Congrats on a 600. I sold my R reg for 1000 notes 6 months ago and miss it. It is a cracker or a car and will run and run and run so long as it is service properly/regularly.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 14:40

Car: Other Manufacturer
I agree with what has been said. The 600 was a great car. I really rate the Honda 2.3L engine.

I wish Rover had stuck with Honda and the 75 was built to the same shape it is now but with a choice of Honda engines. I think they made a 3.0L Accord so Rover could have shared that engine?

I've said the 600 was a great car many times on this forum but often people reply saying something like "yeah but it was about 3k over-priced etc".

I think the car was over the price bracket for similar sized Fords or Vauxhalls BUT importantly I'd say it rates alongside BMW's and was a quality luxury car compared to Ford or GM.

It's such a shame that Rover's gone as it was along the right tracks with the 600 series.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 14:42

Car: 620SLi and 620Ti
Send a message via MSN to 827Si
I would love to have a 600 series however they are not cheap on insurance i have an 800 series which is even more costly so im having to settle for the smaller 400 series but you can forget it if you ever see me owning a 100 series.

but the question is how much does a 600 go for these days in decent condition.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 14:51
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Si View Post
I would love to have a 600 series however they are not cheap on insurance i have an 800 series which is even more costly so im having to settle for the smaller 400 series but you can forget it if you ever see me owning a 100 series.

but the question is how much does a 600 go for these days in decent condition.
A quick search on Ebay will give you a good idea about that. A patient search for a tidy R600 should turn up some nice ones for a few hundred only. When folks with nice examples of these cars go along and find what part exhange offers are available for their well cared for cars, invariably they are disappointed and sell privately. Wise to do that becasue you can negotiate a decent discount on the newer car and sell the old one. Played carefully, the average Joe Punter can win on both swings and roundabouts that way. It also means some privately offered older cars are exceptional value if you know what to look for.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 14:53

Car: 620SLi and 620Ti
Send a message via MSN to 827Si
Thanks im going to stick with my 416Si for the time being do that up and maybe sell it then get a 600 series but it would have to be a 1.8 as a 2.0 is very powerful so is the 1.8 but not as much.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 15:22

Car: MG ZT 260SE & Rover 25 iL Derv
Send a message via MSN to Stu C
Welcome to the forums! Great car that 600 had mine for 3 years, been in the family for 5

Once you know what the niggly problems are (and likley to be) you cant beat the car for what it is. The amount of miles ive done in mine are unreal, simply because of the room, comfort and for me being a derv the economy.

I watched a 400 1.6 go through the auctions a few weeks ago, V reg, al lthe toys bar leather, excellent conditon, went for 400! So definatly a buyers market! Especially - A) If you like them B) Don't beleive all the crap the press write C) curious D) get given one!

and insurance is reasonable for me as well, 21, no ncb blah blah blah 700. Especially with quotes from the "we can save you upto 40%" type of companies that were asking about 1800! told them where to go i can say!

Regards

Stuart
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 16:34 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZTT
Update: I took the car in for its MoT today (didn't get one from the auction), and all it needed to pass was a couple of driveshaft gaiters, and a handbrake adjustment, just over 100 for the lot.

So, with the 450 I paid at the auction, that still makes it cheap as chips, when you consider similar examples in Autotrader are being advertised at 995.

But I'm not even tempted to sell for a quick profit, this is such a nice car and looks a million dollars gleaming on the driveway!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 16:37

Car: Other Manufacturer
I think without Honda the 75 was a step backwards from the 600. Three points below:

1) The 75 always felt like a heavy car to drive (I owned a 623 and a 75 V6 2.5L).

2) The Honda engines were great but the Rover engines were c*ap and failed me badly. The 75's 4 cylinder is cheaper to replair but has a reputation for failing. Many people on the forum have had mystery coolant leak etc.

3) Poor 75 design like a black plastic coolant tank that you can't check without removing the lid (that's really thick of Rover). And also headlight bulbs that you need to be double jointed to change and have to crawl under the ****ing wheel arch to get to.

I'm sorry but at times with my 75 I questioned 'Had Rover ever designed a car before?'.

Don't forget also that the 75 was the first car Rover had designed all on their own without Hondas help since the Metro was launched ~ 1979.

They had gone nearly 20 years without building a car from the ground up!!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 17:25

Car: MG ZT 260SE & Rover 25 iL Derv
Send a message via MSN to Stu C
thought the rover 200 bubble was a complete rover design?

Ive got a rover engine in my 600, not failed yet, and are not reknown for failing.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 18:41

Car: Jaguar X-Type Estate
600 is an excellent car - my 618 was always reliable and comfortable.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 19:22

Car: Volvo S60 R, Rover 25 1.8Auto, VW Passat TDi Estate (Until I get rid of it)
Send a message via MSN to santa20
My 620Ti is great now it works, believe the problems were due to the former owner