MG-Rover.org Forums banner

VW set to rival Streetwise!

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  cosb6 
#1 · (Edited)
VW are having a go at "Streetwising" the Lupo! They say it will cost from £8000, isnt that similarly priced to the SW? I dont think this is good news for Rover :(.

Head for the hills! Volkswagen is set to hit town with a funky new mini-SUV aimed at the Rover Streetwise and soon to be launched Fiat Panda 4x4.

Christened the CrossFox, the chunky looking allroader will join the VW line-up positioned under the recently unveiled Polo Fun, which made its debut at last month's Frankfurt Motor Show. The launch emphasises just how quickly this niche class is growing, as manufacturers flock to join a new market created when Rover unveiled its innovative new Streetwise.

It's the second urban utility vehicle that VW has unwrapped in as many months, and is expected to soon be joined by a new Golf off-roader which will offer both four-wheel drive and extra ground clearance.

Based on the recently revealed Lupo replacement (Top Story, issue 775), the sensational CrossFox is expected to cost from only £8,000. Auto Express's exclusive pictures show a 100bhp 1.6-litre FSI-engined machine scheduled to hit showrooms in 2005.

Although this is the only model confirmed so far by the company, further engines which are under consideration include a 75bhp 1.4-litre petrol unit, and VW's popular 115bhp 1.9-litre diesel. Five and six-speed manual gearboxes are also set to be offered.

Although the front-wheel-drive car is being developed to offer the last word in urban versatility, VW's engineers are reported to be keen to ensure that it is able to perform off-road as well. Suspension is raised by 46mm, and the CrossFox will be fitted with 205/60 R15 mud and snow tyres to give ad-ded grip when the going gets rough.

Extra driving lamps are also fitted, as is beefy body armour designed to protect the car's extremities. The spare wheel is fixed to the rear of the CrossFox, improving ground clearance, and adding yet more visual impact to the overall look. Finally, the car has roofbars to help carry bulky loads. Inside, leather bucket seats and metal-finished pedals will feature in the top-spec variants.

The instrument cluster combines the speedometer and rev counter, while UK cars are expected to offer air-conditioning and satellite navigation, too. Internet services, provided by a removable Palm Pilot personal digital assistant, are also being planned. At the rear, there will be space for three passengers, plus a split-fold rear seat and spacious boot. VW is remaining tight-lipped over what impact the introduction of the CrossFox will have on its sister companies, SEAT and Skoda. Although the Spanish firm's small car, the Arosa, is expected to end production with the introduction of the Lupo replacement, the Czech company has shown concept models of a beefed-up, allroad edition of its Vroomster concept, also first shown at Frankfurt. The Vroomster, which is set to influence Skoda's new city car, will go on sale late in 2005. Dan Strong
(Auto Express Website)

See less See more
#10 ·
Craig MGR said:
lol 8k yer ok. More like 12k knowing VW , but the'll be plenty of badge snobs out there ready buy one.
I like my VWs but this is appalling. £8k - no chance, might sneak in under £12k if they go easy on the kit. Not sure how great a move this is, though, VW owners are sensible types.

Under all that cheesy kit in the picture above, you could imagine a CityRover. If the StreetWise does OK, how about doing the same to the CityRover?

#17 ·
LatinRover said:
Actually it can be sold cheaper, as it is based on the Brazil-built Fox, which is following the path of the first "urban on-roader": the Fiat Palio Adventure.
So that's what it is lurking under all that tat.

I'm sure VW can sell it for much less than £12k but if VW reckon there are UK customers who would happily part with £12k for one, there isn't much incentive for them to do so.

As I put above, I'm not sure if it's really to the taste of the typical VW owner (and us VW owners have impeccable taste) but it's not an expensive product for them to develop, and they won't need to shift that many to earn their money back.

I'm not mad about these normal cars made all chunky, but I did like the Mk2 Golf Country (Syncro model on stilts) - anyone remember that? Probably not, they didn't shift many.

G
#18 ·
If VW think that they can charge 1000-1500 quid more for the new Golf than the opposition do for their cars, then they must also be stupid enough to try to get 10k plus for this thing.

Remember, VW is now being run by the guy who buggered up Rover!

#19 ·
My ZR is more reliable than my VW was... and rattles less...

It uses less fuel, is lower in tax, and insurance, is faster 0-60... and is cheaper to buy....

FFS why would anyone buy a VW.... it can ONLY be the badge. So sad... at least 95% of people reading this have "Seen the Light"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.