January guess the reg. - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 10:42
GSi

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoLo View Post
That's a very good point EG and one I was thinking of myself. If tariffs on Chinese imports are that high how was it that the price of the MG3 didn't change at all? I am assuming that by assembling the car at Longbridge the import duty was zero?
MG sells the cars at the prices it can sell them for. This is not dependent on tariffs but on the marketplace, it's not a large enough player to influence the market in the way you suggest.
I'm sure some buyers reported that their MG3s had UK VINs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:40

Car: MG 6 Magnette
Some early ones did... Although how legal this was is a very interesting debate that nobody seems to want to be made public.
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:43

Car: MG 6 GT
Some very dishonest claims were made about the provenance of MG6 and (especially) MG3 models sold in GB.

At least there's none of that chicanery going on with the GS.

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 18:05

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
All I recall being reported was that the VIN sequence began with an S - which merely indicates the country of origin, or the country of final manufacture, so this would be correct for cars which had final assembly at Longbridge. I assume the ones imported fully built will have a VIN beginning with an L.
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 19:03

Quite a lot of fully assembled and imported ones has a UK VIN number as well.
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:20

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
All I recall being reported was that the VIN sequence began with an S - which merely indicates the country of origin, or the country of final manufacture, so this would be correct for cars which had final assembly at Longbridge. I assume the ones imported fully built will have a VIN beginning with an L.
Not necessarily. All recent Vauxhalls have VINs starting with W (meaning Germany) regardless of whether they were built there, in Britain, Spain or Poland etc.
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:45

There's more yet to emerge about this and other questionable practices...
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:32

Well, you always claim to know more than the rest of us, whichever user name you are posting under. Sometimes you prove to be right, sometimes not.

If you have some information to impart, please feel free to post it so we can all know. If you don't have such information, or it is of dubious accuracy, or likely to result in legal action, perhaps you would have been better to refrain from alluding to it in the first place?
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:40
GSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbeneezerGoode View Post
Not necessarily. All recent Vauxhalls have VINs starting with W (meaning Germany) regardless of whether they were built there, in Britain, Spain or Poland etc.
The VIN apparently indicates the region where the manufacturer is based, not the country. In many instances, these are the same. In the EU, the manufacturer's EU headquarters can be used for all vehicles produced in the EU regardless of the country as this reduces paperwork for the manufacturer.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:43

"Manufacturer" does not mean the same thing as "assembler", and "assembler" does not mean the same thing as "importer". But legal definitions are the least of it.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:43
GSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwinters View Post
Quite a lot of fully assembled and imported ones has a UK VIN number as well.
Cock-up or conspiracy? If this happened, I think it's more likely to be a cock-up.
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:48

It also depends on whether MG Motor UK and the brand is registered with the relevant governing authority as a UK manufacturer as well as a Chinese one

What Country identifier do the Chinese built LHD Honda Jazz which are sold in mainland Europe have at the beginning of their VIN ?
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:56

You've missed the point somewhat, there.
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 14:41
GSi

Quote:
It also depends on whether MG Motor UK and the brand is registered with the relevant governing authority as a UK manufacturer as well as a Chinese one

What Country identifier do the Chinese built LHD Honda Jazz which are sold in mainland Europe have at the beginning of their VIN ?
Honda Jazzes built in China would start with a "LVH". MGs made in China start "LSJ" . Where they are sold is irrelevant.

Last edited by GSi; 11-02-2017 at 19:57.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 16:10

It was a perfectly sensible question - whether Honda have the Euro market ones sold under a Chinese VIN, or the Japanese VIN of the parent. I don't see how it is missing any point at all

The point is that the country/manufacturer identifier code may not necessarily indicate the country of manufacture; it may be the registered home country of the manufacturer (in MG Motors case, the UK. The place of manufacture is denoted by the final letter of the VIN sequence on MG cars (as it was on MG Rover and Rover before them), with a D denoting final assembly at Longbridge.

If they were selling cars imported direct from China and sent straight from the docks to the dealers with a D in that place in the VIN, that would certainly be contravening the rules, but as far as I can determine, nobody has yet suggested that has happened.

I haven't been near enough to any of the new MGs to see the VIN (and frankly, have no intention of doing), so what is actually on them?
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 16:14

With respect, if you were slightly closer to what's been going on, you'd realise you're asking the wrong question.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:53

The home country of MG is China. It has been since 2005. The rest is just a cut price MG John ramble. And about as accurate.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 19:45
GSi

I
Quote:
It was a perfectly sensible question - whether Honda have the Euro market ones sold under a Chinese VIN, or the Japanese VIN of the parent. I don't see how it is missing any point at all

The point is that the country/manufacturer identifier code may not necessarily indicate the country of manufacture; it may be the registered home country of the manufacturer (in MG Motors case, the UK. The place of manufacture is denoted by the final letter of the VIN sequence on MG cars (as it was on MG Rover and Rover before them), with a D denoting final assembly at Longbridge.

If they were selling cars imported direct from China and sent straight from the docks to the dealers with a D in that place in the VIN, that would certainly be contravening the rules, but as far as I can determine, nobody has yet suggested that has happened.

I haven't been near enough to any of the new MGs to see the VIN (and frankly, have no intention of doing), so what is actually on them?
The VIN always has to indicate the region where the car is made. For EU countries, a European headquarters address can cover multiple countries, as GM does. But no manufacturer can put a Japanese VIN on a Chinese-made car legally.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 20:43

Thank for that; at last a an answer to a simple question. I had spent a considerable time trying to get to the bottom of how the country identifier was applied, but as usual on the internet the answer didn't seem clear from any official source, and there were wildly contradictory interpretations elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonMG View Post
With respect, if you were slightly closer to what's been going on, you'd realise you're asking the wrong question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwinters View Post
The home country of MG is China. It has been since 2005. The rest is just a cut price MG John ramble. And about as accurate.
Instead this continual "I know something the rest of you don't" nonsense, it's about time you came out and say what you know. I, and a lot of other people are getting thoroughly fed up of it. From the type of posts you make, the phraseology, and the general attitude, it is pretty damned obvious who you all are, and we have seen you here before under a variety of user names (presumably all routed through different proxies to avoid detection.

If you don't actually know, or there is some legal reason why you can't be open, then just shut up
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 07:41

Car: CityRover
Quote:
I, and a lot of other people are getting thoroughly fed up of it.
The official spokesperson. I seem to have missed that election.