January guess the reg. - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 10:42
GSi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wimbledon
Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Posts: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoLo View Post
That's a very good point EG and one I was thinking of myself. If tariffs on Chinese imports are that high how was it that the price of the MG3 didn't change at all? I am assuming that by assembling the car at Longbridge the import duty was zero?
MG sells the cars at the prices it can sell them for. This is not dependent on tariffs but on the marketplace, it's not a large enough player to influence the market in the way you suggest.
I'm sure some buyers reported that their MG3s had UK VINs.
GSi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Car: MG 6 Magnette
Posts: 61
Some early ones did... Although how legal this was is a very interesting debate that nobody seems to want to be made public.
pwinters is offline  
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Car: MG 6 GT
Posts: 44
Some very dishonest claims were made about the provenance of MG6 and (especially) MG3 models sold in GB.

At least there's none of that chicanery going on with the GS.
LondonMG is offline  
 
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 18:05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lincoln
Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Posts: 8,273
All I recall being reported was that the VIN sequence began with an S - which merely indicates the country of origin, or the country of final manufacture, so this would be correct for cars which had final assembly at Longbridge. I assume the ones imported fully built will have a VIN beginning with an L.
Man in the Car is offline  
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 19:03
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Car: MG 6 Magnette
Posts: 61
Quite a lot of fully assembled and imported ones has a UK VIN number as well.
pwinters is offline  
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Car: Other Manufacturer
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
All I recall being reported was that the VIN sequence began with an S - which merely indicates the country of origin, or the country of final manufacture, so this would be correct for cars which had final assembly at Longbridge. I assume the ones imported fully built will have a VIN beginning with an L.
Not necessarily. All recent Vauxhalls have VINs starting with W (meaning Germany) regardless of whether they were built there, in Britain, Spain or Poland etc.
EbeneezerGoode is offline  
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Car: MG 6 GT
Posts: 44
There's more yet to emerge about this and other questionable practices...
LondonMG is offline  
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lincoln
Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Posts: 8,273
Well, you always claim to know more than the rest of us, whichever user name you are posting under. Sometimes you prove to be right, sometimes not.

If you have some information to impart, please feel free to post it so we can all know. If you don't have such information, or it is of dubious accuracy, or likely to result in legal action, perhaps you would have been better to refrain from alluding to it in the first place?
Man in the Car is offline  
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:40
GSi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wimbledon
Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Posts: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbeneezerGoode View Post
Not necessarily. All recent Vauxhalls have VINs starting with W (meaning Germany) regardless of whether they were built there, in Britain, Spain or Poland etc.
The VIN apparently indicates the region where the manufacturer is based, not the country. In many instances, these are the same. In the EU, the manufacturer's EU headquarters can be used for all vehicles produced in the EU regardless of the country as this reduces paperwork for the manufacturer.
GSi is offline  
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Car: MG 6 GT
Posts: 44
"Manufacturer" does not mean the same thing as "assembler", and "assembler" does not mean the same thing as "importer". But legal definitions are the least of it.
LondonMG is offline  
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:43
GSi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wimbledon
Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Posts: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwinters View Post
Quite a lot of fully assembled and imported ones has a UK VIN number as well.
Cock-up or conspiracy? If this happened, I think it's more likely to be a cock-up.
GSi is offline  
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lincoln
Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Posts: 8,273
It also depends on whether MG Motor UK and the brand is registered with the relevant governing authority as a UK manufacturer as well as a Chinese one

What Country identifier do the Chinese built LHD Honda Jazz which are sold in mainland Europe have at the beginning of their VIN ?
Man in the Car is offline  
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Car: MG 6 GT
Posts: 44
You've missed the point somewhat, there.
LondonMG is offline  
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 14:41
GSi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wimbledon
Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Posts: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
It also depends on whether MG Motor UK and the brand is registered with the relevant governing authority as a UK manufacturer as well as a Chinese one

What Country identifier do the Chinese built LHD Honda Jazz which are sold in mainland Europe have at the beginning of their VIN ?
Honda Jazzes built in China would start with a "LVH". MGs made in China start "LSJ" . Where they are sold is irrelevant.

Last edited by GSi; 11-02-2017 at 19:57.
GSi is offline  
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 16:10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lincoln
Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Posts: 8,273
It was a perfectly sensible question - whether Honda have the Euro market ones sold under a Chinese VIN, or the Japanese VIN of the parent. I don't see how it is missing any point at all

The point is that the country/manufacturer identifier code may not necessarily indicate the country of manufacture; it may be the registered home country of the manufacturer (in MG Motors case, the UK. The place of manufacture is denoted by the final letter of the VIN sequence on MG cars (as it was on MG Rover and Rover before them), with a D denoting final assembly at Longbridge.

If they were selling cars imported direct from China and sent straight from the docks to the dealers with a D in that place in the VIN, that would certainly be contravening the rules, but as far as I can determine, nobody has yet suggested that has happened.

I haven't been near enough to any of the new MGs to see the VIN (and frankly, have no intention of doing), so what is actually on them?
Man in the Car is offline  
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 16:14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Car: MG 6 GT
Posts: 44
With respect, if you were slightly closer to what's been going on, you'd realise you're asking the wrong question.
LondonMG is offline  
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Car: MG 6 Magnette
Posts: 61
The home country of MG is China. It has been since 2005. The rest is just a cut price MG John ramble. And about as accurate.
pwinters is offline  
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 19:45
GSi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wimbledon
Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Posts: 1,402
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
It was a perfectly sensible question - whether Honda have the Euro market ones sold under a Chinese VIN, or the Japanese VIN of the parent. I don't see how it is missing any point at all

The point is that the country/manufacturer identifier code may not necessarily indicate the country of manufacture; it may be the registered home country of the manufacturer (in MG Motors case, the UK. The place of manufacture is denoted by the final letter of the VIN sequence on MG cars (as it was on MG Rover and Rover before them), with a D denoting final assembly at Longbridge.

If they were selling cars imported direct from China and sent straight from the docks to the dealers with a D in that place in the VIN, that would certainly be contravening the rules, but as far as I can determine, nobody has yet suggested that has happened.

I haven't been near enough to any of the new MGs to see the VIN (and frankly, have no intention of doing), so what is actually on them?
The VIN always has to indicate the region where the car is made. For EU countries, a European headquarters address can cover multiple countries, as GM does. But no manufacturer can put a Japanese VIN on a Chinese-made car legally.
GSi is offline  
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 20:43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lincoln
Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Posts: 8,273
Thank for that; at last a an answer to a simple question. I had spent a considerable time trying to get to the bottom of how the country identifier was applied, but as usual on the internet the answer didn't seem clear from any official source, and there were wildly contradictory interpretations elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonMG View Post
With respect, if you were slightly closer to what's been going on, you'd realise you're asking the wrong question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwinters View Post
The home country of MG is China. It has been since 2005. The rest is just a cut price MG John ramble. And about as accurate.
Instead this continual "I know something the rest of you don't" nonsense, it's about time you came out and say what you know. I, and a lot of other people are getting thoroughly fed up of it. From the type of posts you make, the phraseology, and the general attitude, it is pretty damned obvious who you all are, and we have seen you here before under a variety of user names (presumably all routed through different proxies to avoid detection.

If you don't actually know, or there is some legal reason why you can't be open, then just shut up
Man in the Car is offline  
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 07:41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Car: CityRover
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
I, and a lot of other people are getting thoroughly fed up of it.
The official spokesperson. I seem to have missed that election.
Perry Stalsis is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MG-Rover.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guess the MG UK registrations for January 2016 JoCoLo MG / SAIC / Roewe Related Chat 19 04-02-2016 17:54
Guess the UK Registrations for MG January 2015 JoCoLo MG / SAIC / Roewe Related Chat 48 22-02-2015 22:40
Guess the UK registrations for MG - January 2014 JoCoLo MG / SAIC / Roewe Related Chat 72 07-02-2014 11:40
Forum Stats for 23rd January 2006 to 29th January 2006 www.MG-Rover.org Forum Stats 12 04-02-2006 17:32
Forum Stats for 2nd January 2006 to 8th January 2006 www.MG-Rover.org Forum Stats 9 10-01-2006 06:20

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome