MG Motor UK new car registrations...... - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 454 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 22:00

Car: MG Magnette, MG Maestro x2, MG ZT and Rover 416GTi
Send a message via MSN to matthewsemple
Cool

Whilst some people prefer autos most people still buy manuals in the UK (and I believe most of Europe). Certainly with a small car such as the MG3, very few buyers would go for an auto even if it was available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 454 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 23:19

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCee View Post
Who deserves credit for that? The loyal MG supporter? MG marketing dept?
Certainly not the marketing department. MG Motor UK continues to exist in spite of the marketing department, not because of it!
post #43 of 454 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:20
gots me a pair o' MGs

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsemple View Post
Whilst some people prefer autos most people still buy manuals in the UK (and I believe most of Europe). Certainly with a small car such as the MG3, very few buyers would go for an auto even if it was available.
I think a CVT-type auto wouldn't be worthwhile, but a DSG-type certainly would judging by the amount of VAG superminis with that tranmission. An auto in certainly needed in the MG6, and it's bizarre that the car has been offered with an auto box for years in most other markets, but not here.

post #44 of 454 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:23

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Granted more manual transmissions are sold over autos. Big hole in MG3 armoury of not have an auto. Small car autos are quite popular particularly with the older population. Why would MG want to continue excluding potential customers.

I just bought a brand new Nissan Note auto - list price 17k (didn't pay anywhere near that. Would have seriously considered an MG3 but they don't do an auto. Given the low volume of responders on this forum my one makes quite a big percentage!
post #45 of 454 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 21:38

Cool

The MG3 hasn't been aimed at the older population, although it is stranger for the MG6 which as a bigger car ought to have an auto.

No doubt the technology to deliver a modern auto with reasonable emissions is not available to MG/SAIC. I suspect the autos sold in overseas markets are the old-fashioned designs that would produce poor emissions results. Both the '3 and the '6 have higher VED ratings than the competition even with the manual options so a couple of ratings higher (e.g. ZT 135 man. vs. auto) would result in an MG6 that cost 500 a year to tax.

Therefore they would have made the decision not to bother marketing it.
post #46 of 454 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 22:00

Car: Daihatsu Sirion
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastpipe View Post
I just bought a brand new Nissan Note auto - list price 17k (didn't pay anywhere near that. Would have seriously considered an MG3 but they don't do an auto. Given the low volume of responders on this forum my one makes quite a big percentage!
The Note is not available in NZ and it would otherwise be high on my list if buying a new car. I think you did well in your choice as they are a good car. You also supported UK manufacturing, which is a bonus.
post #47 of 454 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 11:38

Car: Rover 800
Without a shadow of doubt i would have had an MG6 if they had an AUTO, also, they make a great deal of noise about having all models available on Motability, when a lagre majority of motability cars are Auto, so a lost opportunity.

However, having said that, AUTO's in the MG3 and MG6 will be here sooner rather than later, but we all know what MG's time frames are like.
post #48 of 454 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 16:09

Car: CityRover
Quote:
The MG3 hasn't been aimed at the older population, although it is stranger for the MG6 which as a bigger car ought to have an auto.

No doubt the technology to deliver a modern auto with reasonable emissions is not available to MG/SAIC. I suspect the autos sold in overseas markets are the old-fashioned designs that would produce poor emissions results. Both the '3 and the '6 have higher VED ratings than the competition even with the manual options so a couple of ratings higher (e.g. ZT 135 man. vs. auto) would result in an MG6 that cost 500 a year to tax.

Therefore they would have made the decision not to bother marketing it.
Bit hard to say who they have aimed it at...their aim ain't that good judging by the sales figures. But why exclude autos point blank when they are available elsewhere. Seems silly to exclude swathes of the customer population. Must have been a well ropey auto box.

Yes VED can be higher on autos but is a myth that private buyers are concerned about emissions. Company car drivers are...but private buyers much less so..I'm not for starters. The VED is a tiny tiny tiny tiny portion of the cost of ownership..depreciation wins the on the cost front.

MG would have sold more cars if they had auto boxes available. IMHO very amateur outfit to have missed that one.
post #49 of 454 (permalink) Old 13-01-2015, 10:56 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
From the MG UK website -

'The MG3 supermini, priced from just 8,399 to 9,999, accounted for seventy seven per cent of MG sales in 2014.'

That means

MG6 registrations - 535

MG3 registrations - 1791.
post #50 of 454 (permalink) Old 13-01-2015, 12:55

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferdog1 View Post
From the MG UK website -

'The MG3 supermini, priced from just 8,399 to 9,999, accounted for seventy seven per cent of MG sales in 2014.'

That means

MG6 registrations - 535

MG3 registrations - 1791.
There must be around 4,000 MG's on the UK roads now from the new company. I am certainly seeing more and more. Yesterday I spotted a grey Magnette, a white 6GT and a silver MG3 around Bristol.
post #51 of 454 (permalink) Old 14-01-2015, 17:38

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastpipe View Post
Yes VED can be higher on autos but is a myth that private buyers are concerned about emissions. Company car drivers are...but private buyers much less so..I'm not for starters. The VED is a tiny tiny tiny tiny portion of the cost of ownership..depreciation wins the on the cost front.

MG would have sold more cars if they had auto boxes available. IMHO very amateur outfit to have missed that one.
A number of my friends and colleagues, who are all private buyers, have told me that they chose their car because it is either free to tax or 20/30 a year. I am sure these people are not unusual and it is a big attraction to private buyers who can avoid a bill of a couple of hundred pounds a year by choosing a low VED car when they are about to replace their car anyway.

High VED also indicates to buyers they would have higher running costs, lower mpg and high depreciation. Now I am sure plenty on here will say they get 100mpg from their old Rover or that it is cheaper to run an old car for buttons and pay the tax than to spend thousands on a new car just to save 2 a week, etc, etc. However when people are shopping for a new car they want a new car and will easily find reasons to convince themselves that they are saving money by making the purchase. They don't really want to drive a 15-year old Honda Accord that costs 500 to buy and 200+ a year to tax.

The MG6 with a petrol-turbo engine mated to an auto gearbox would probably cost 265 or 285 a year to tax. MG UK know they wouldn't have sold any with that cost so they haven't bothered to import them. The trick they missed is not to offer a modern auto but I suspect that they don't have one to offer.
post #52 of 454 (permalink) Old 14-01-2015, 17:51

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
There must be around 4,000 MG's on the UK roads now from the new company. I am certainly seeing more and more. Yesterday I spotted a grey Magnette, a white 6GT and a silver MG3 around Bristol.
Must be more in north Bristol than where I live. I commute along the A370 each day passing hundreds of cars (on my motorbike) entering Bristol from the south of the city. I don't think I have ever seen a '6 or a '3 on the way to work. Although I did once see a '3 in Nailsea Tesco.
post #53 of 454 (permalink) Old 14-01-2015, 18:12

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Quote:
Must be more in north Bristol than where I live. I commute along the A370 each day passing hundreds of cars (on my motorbike) entering Bristol from the south of the city. I don't think I have ever seen a '6 or a '3 on the way to work. Although I did once see a '3 in Nailsea Tesco.
I did see another black GT today, but some times I may drive 300 miles plus in a day (M4 and M5 corridor)for work and see none at all. But I lost count many months ago after 30!! They are definitely getting a more common site

As for a modern automatic option for the MG3 and MG6. I thought it had been confirmed that both will be available here with the 1.4 DSG third quarter this year?
post #54 of 454 (permalink) Old 14-01-2015, 18:31

Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
Quote:
I went through the centre of Bristol twice last year, the first time I was in the BTCC Replica, and I saw a white Magnette and a yellow 3, the 2nd time I was in my Magnette, and followed a white GT from Temple meads
post #55 of 454 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 13:20 Thread Starter

Updated - a better Feb than last year but then they have been really pushing the TV ad and signing up new dealerships.

The GS and facelift '6 cant come soon enough.
post #56 of 454 (permalink) Old 20-03-2015, 16:01

Car: mercedes E class coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
Saw blue MG3 in York
post #57 of 454 (permalink) Old 23-03-2015, 17:57
gots me a pair o' MGs

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
There are plenty around Stoke. I saw 4 'new' MGs yesterday, excluding the two MG3s on display in the Potteries shopping centre at the moment.
post #58 of 454 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 13:40 Thread Starter

Updated - I almost cant believe it!

Whos doing me a new graph?!
post #59 of 454 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 13:53

Car: 2005 Jaguar S-Type R, 2016 Jeep Renegade Limited, 2003 Rover Streetwise SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferdog1 View Post
Updated - I almost cant believe it!

Whos doing me a new graph?!

With added Windy trendline:

Interesting that the sales in 2014 followed a very similar pattern between the two new reg months. Possible that the same will happen, just with the number of sales hopefully much higher.
post #60 of 454 (permalink) Old 14-04-2015, 18:40

Car: ZS 1.8, XW Tourer T16 Turbo
MG registrations in January 2014 by model:
MG3 - 80
MG6 - 58
Total - 138

MG registrations in February 2014 by model:
MG3 - 31
MG6 - 16
Total - 47

MG registrations in January 2015 by model:
MG3 - 106