MG Motor's has it's best sales month for Seven years. - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 14:08 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 800
MG Motor UK has experienced its best ever month for car sales since the relaunch.

According to figures released by The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT) earlier today (5 October), MG Motor UK has experienced its best ever month for car sales since the company relaunched.

Registering a total of 1,005 vehicles during September 2016, MG recorded a 97% year-on-year increase for the month of September. Year to date, MG has achieved a 34% increase in registrations over 2015 figures, already selling more vehicles than any full year previously.

Matthew Cheyne, Head of Sales and Marketing at MG Motor UK, said: “Breaking the 1,000 vehicle registration figure for September is a significant achievement. During 2016, our figures have continued to rise, reflecting unprecedented demand and customer affinity towards the brand.

“The continued success of MG in the UK is not only testament to the performance and quality of our model range – which includes the family-favourite GS SUV and MG3 supermini – but also the continued growth of our dealer network.

“Without the hard work, dedication and support of each MG dealer in the UK, we couldn’t have achieved such impressive registration results. As such, I wish to personally extend my thanks to them for a record-breaking month.

“We’re delighted with our performance so far in 2016 and have surpassed our total year 2015 sales already. We look forward to carrying this on in Q4 as we continue to offer our customers competitive, affordable and exciting vehicles.”

According to the SMMT figures, a total of 469,696 new cars were registered in September 2016, with year-to-date performance remaining positive, up 2.5% to 2,096,886 million units

Last edited by AndyhMG; 05-10-2016 at 15:02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 14:22

Car: Other Manufacturer
Motor's what?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 19:35
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbeneezerGoode View Post
Motor's what?
What what?

gnu

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 19:39
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyhMG View Post
According to figures released by The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT) earlier today (5 October), MG Motor UK has experienced its best ever month for car sales since the company relaunched.

Registering a total of 1,005 vehicles during September 2016, MG recorded a 97% year-on-year increase for the month of September. Year to date, MG has achieved a 34% increase in registrations over 2015 figures, already selling more vehicles than any full year previously.
Yay!

gnu
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 19:58
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
While the figures will be boosted by the plate change, passing 1000 registrations in a month is very impressive. No doubt a quantity will be pre-regs and demo vehicles but I'd hope the strong majority to be retail sales.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
What what?
It's been edited but there was a rogue apostrophe (two actually) in the thread title, still visible at the top of the page index:
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:59 Thread Starter

If thats all you have to say, then why bother, it would really nice one day, just one, that you actually say something positive, whether it be the cars, company or posters on here - because it is getting very boring to hear the same tripe day in day out from the same people.

If you really think that badly then why not just go and post elsewhere on a site that suits your needs ! :::::;;;;;'''''''''''''' there ya go, have a few more.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:36
GSi

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Can anyone clarify what this situation means? Sandie on Macdroitwich has highlighted these secondhand MG GSs for sale.
https://goo.gl/zNclQu
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:01

It would appear that a lot of MG GSs have been preregistered during September (hence the 66 reg) and are being offered at significantly below recommended price. It would also appear that they have done the same with a load of MG3s.
These cars will be part of the total new registrations for September, but could hardly be described as sales as they remain within the motor-trade retail sector.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:41

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
If thats all you have to say, then why bother, it would really nice one day, just one, that you actually say something positive, whether it be the cars, company or posters on here - because it is getting very boring to hear the same tripe day in day out from the same people.

If you really think that badly then why not just go and post elsewhere on a site that suits your needs ! :::::;;;;;'''''''''''''' there ya go, have a few more.
To be fair, assuming the mistake was in the original supplied copy, a typo in the title of a press release is surely worthy of criticism, especially since, sadly, it's far from an isolated incident.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:46

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNorman View Post
It would appear that a lot of MG GSs have been preregistered during September (hence the 66 reg) and are being offered at significantly below recommended price. It would also appear that they have done the same with a load of MG3s.
These cars will be part of the total new registrations for September, but could hardly be described as sales as they remain within the motor-trade retail sector.
Those 1000+ sales did look a little too good to be true. Reckon MG Motor were hellbent on breaking the 1000 barrier last month, and didn't mind how they achieved it, in order to try to bury the bad news about Longbridge production ceasing.
obadiah-jones likes this.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:09

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Richard it is quite normal for Arnold Clark to offer pre registered cars for sale. At present they have over 2000 pre registered Vauxhall's and over 200 Fords at well below retail price

A lot of fuss has been made by the Trolls over just 19 pre registered MG's on offer at Arnold Clark. Add maybe 20 pre registered demonstrators, MG still shifted over 950 new cars to punters last month

What ever good news comes along the Trolls will still criticize because that is their only agenda on this site.

In their own words we are the Lickers and any thing from Barton Motors is S---e
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:40

A quick search on Autotrader shows many dealers offering pre registered (66 reg) MGs for sale. Arnold Clark also has around 30 MG3s as well as the MG GSs, again all 66 reg.

Even taking those into account, sales are still increasing. Surely steady growth is what is needed rather than a (possibly) one off.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:42

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is here. My post history shows plenty of comments both positive and negative over the past year. I have also twice looked at purchasing a new MG. First time, the suggested petrol engine never did come to the MK2 MG6 and the second time the GS didn't quite meet with my desires. It's just lately, until last month's excellent sales result, there has been less to be positive about from the demise of both the MG6 and Longbridge production. Hopefully, following this recent positive news more will follow for us to be positive about.

This is an oddly disproportionate response considering I was pointing out your error (which wasn't on the press release). My only crime is to be a pedant.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Murray View Post
Those 1000+ sales did look a little too good to be true. Reckon MG Motor were hellbent on breaking the 1000 barrier last month, and didn't mind how they achieved it, in order to try to bury the bad news about Longbridge production ceasing.
I think this was the case. I suspect the sales would have been strong regardless of it though.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:20 Thread Starter

it is unfortunate that the same old names continue to be negative, i fear that until MG pulls out of the UK, which they are NOT going to do, they will not be happy, and will then say "we told you so".

Growing sales, month after month does not seem to be worthy of praise, especially as they do not do much advertising, with teh new comes coming, i assume that MG will then go on a major brand push, or thats what i have been led to believe.

Until then i am happy for the brand to grow as they have, Hyundai grew the exact same way, very slowly, with models appearing at staggered times, and look at them now, one of the best brands in the world, now with two Sub brands, the "N" and Genesis, maybe we can hope that one day, MG will do the same with the sports cars heading a sub brand, but thats in the future, for now, MG has sold more cars to date this year that last years record sales.

Surely that should be cause for praise ??????????????????
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:27

Car: CityRover
A chalk and cheese comparison if I may say so.

Hyundai went for volume from day one with cheap, honest cars and increased the profile of the brand as it gained traction.

Hyundai increased their production staff payroll in the process, they didn't sack them and close production facilities.

I can think of no company that has cut it's way to success.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:36 Thread Starter

When Renault slashed its model range in the UK, they also trimmed the staffing at its PDI Centre and UK HQ, Peugeot sacked thousands of people both here in the UK and France, when they crashed a few years ago, Hyundai did in actual fact cut staff at its European HQ when they launched the brand here, as sales were no where near as expected, this i know as one of my neighbours worked for Hyundai, and had one of the first PONY models in the UK, he lost his job, and went on to work for Mercedes BMW and is now a section chief for FCA in the USA - I still talk to him three or four times a year.

So, yes a number of brands have cut staffing whilst also trying to boost sales, it happens in all aspects of business, Apple and Microsoft are another two that have gone this route in the last few years.

Any business worth its salt (Except MG-Rover) cut staff to levels necessary for the sales that they have, Lotus does it all the time, Aston martin did it a few times over the last decade, Morgan has trimmed staff whilst growing its sales, so nothing new here....
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:50

Car: CityRover
All of the above are long established, well known brands and not unknown minnows.

Quote:
Any business worth its salt (Except MG-Rover) cut staff to levels necessary for the sales that they have,
If MG UK follow your staff ratio to sales edict, the staff at Longbridge have no future. I'm guessing you don't run a business.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:51

Car: rover 75 2.5 (LPG) & TF 160
Pre registering cars is something of a tax dodge for dealers if done right. the savings in general come from the fact that it can be done in such a way so that VAT only has to be paid on the profit made and not the whole value of the car. This was explained to me by the guy I buy vans from and why loads of commercial vehicles are sold as pre reg.