Production has officially ended at Longbridge.. - MG-Rover.org Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 19:40 Thread Starter
MGM

Car: Other Manufacturer
Production has officially ended at Longbridge..

Did 'assembly' even start at Longbridge?
It's pretty much been confirmed that MG has made redundant all assembly and after sales staff members, again. Absolutely disgusting that the staff have been treated like this, made redundant or not, surely demoralising... Seems they are really scraping the barrel, with more of Longbridge being handed back ( trusted sources) also, with the poor way the GS is being marketed, is there a future for MG in the UK? I'd personally say no, with scaling back of longbridge, to me seems like they are cutting back the UK operation. That's my opinion.

Last edited by MGM; 16-09-2016 at 21:18. Reason: Further point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 19:50

I did see some of the posts elsewhere. Very sad and very shabby behaviour from MG.
post #3 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 20:17

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Wouldn't this be reported in the Birmingham Post? Just checked on Google, cant find any story's relating to this. Is this just more hear say? or do you have a link?

There are close to 400 staff employed at Longbridge. The assembly lines have been flat out. Some MG3 models are even coming to UK ready assembled. I am sure mass redundancies would have at least made the local press

post #4 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 20:20
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
SAIC continue to invest to a future in their UK of design and engineering operation but this apparent decline in their manufacturing/assembly come at no surprise. It seems that MG Motor UK may soon be little more than a small-time import operation.
post #5 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
Wouldn't this be reported in the Birmingham Post? Just checked on Google, cant find any story's relating to this. Is this just more hear say? or do you have a link?
one of the sources would appear to be some of those who have been made redundant today

Quote:
The assembly lines have been flat out.
the lines haven't moved for some time according tho those who have just been sacked
Quote:
Some MG3 models are even coming to UK ready assembled.
most, if not all, actually. They are now being PDI'd at the docks (which is news to me as I understood that most still were PDI'd at Longbridge
post #6 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNorman View Post
one of the sources would appear to be some of those who have been made redundant today

the lines haven't moved for some time according tho those who have just been sacked
most, if not all, actually. They are now being PDI'd at the docks (which is news to me as I understood that most still were PDI'd at Longbridge
Sorry you are the last member on here I would believe. Like I said above this is more hear say from the usual MD members. Will check out the Birmingham Post again tomorrow.
post #7 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 20:42

Quote:
Sorry you are the last member on here I would believe.
Sorry Nick, but, as most have realised, what I have posted has been proved to be correct. Take your head out of the sand and acknowledge what is happening.
post #8 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
Did 'assembly' even start at Longbridge.
It's pretty much been confirmed that MG has made redundant all assembly and after sales staff members, again. Absolutely disgusting that the staff have been treated like this. Seems they are really scraping the barrel, with more of Longbridge being handed back ( trusted sources) also, with the poor way the GS is being marketed, is there a future for MG in the UK? I'd personally say no, with scaling back of longbridge, barrel scraping dealer network appointments, no decent engines or options. Also, I don't believe the bulk of MG design is carried out in the UK either. SAIC is not "in it for the long game" and are just half arsing the UK market, with under investment imo. Well, for what it's worth, is my view on the whole situation.
Weren't you only saying the other day that you were expecting them to sell 10s of thousands of cars here within a few years? A bit of a turnaround in opinion!

FWIW, I'm not surprised and certainly haven't changed my views on the future for MG. The writing was on the wall when it came out that the new GS was fully imported. It started to make sense that the MG3 would eventually follow suit. It's worth remembering these staff will only be a small part of the operation with most working at the technical facility. I read somewhere that there were only 40 - perhaps fewer - line workers so not exactly the kind of mass redundancies that would make newspaper headlines.
post #9 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 21:08 Thread Starter
MGM

Yes, I was saying that the other day.
But, after receiving some information & seeing how things are panning out, I don't know how MG will proceed to progress to that level. I like the latest MG offerings, the cars are good, but seeing them end assembly makes me wonder what their intentions are. If anyone at all has been made redundant, then thats shocking, but that's my view. I think I was being a little over optimistic the other day, so for now, I think it's best to remain sceptical with SAIC and their plans for the UK, I'd like to be proven wrong, but until the company is managed and funded better in the UK I will reserve full judgement.
post #10 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 22:23

Car: MG TF
I live in Scotland.
I have seen ONE modern MG, an MG3 on display in Edinburgh airport.
I have, though, seen hundreds of Dacias. Dacia advertise on TV and in the press. They offer a range of models, competitive finance and they are building the brand.
Why, exactly, couldn't MG match this if they really wanted to?
It seems they are doing well in other markets, so why the wilfully low profile and the bare-bones choices offered here? Two cars? One engine?? Really???
And forgive me, but 'there is no market for 2 seat sports-cars'-
I've just been to my Fiat dealer to see the new 124 Spider in the flesh.
Very handsome. How come Fiat could cut this deal with Mazda, and bring a new roadster to the market?
If you own a modern MG and like it I am Very happy for you, but this is just not a company interested in being a major player in the UK market.
Ann MG Writer and barkingdog like this.
post #11 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 22:51
GSi

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Why, exactly, couldn't MG match this if they really wanted to?
I guess that Dacia just piggybacks on Renault garages. There were rumours that MG was going to do the same with Vauxhall dealerships...but this did not happen.
post #12 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 22:59
GSi

Quote:
Sorry you are the last member on here I would believe. Like I said above this is more hear say from the usual MD members. Will check out the Birmingham Post again tomorrow.
There has been a substantive article on AROnline which confirmed the cessation of UK assembly. If this was erroneous, I would have expected MG to deny it. It didn't.
MG employed 29 people in car assembly in 2014. (source: audited accounts). I suspect this dwindled down to a handful so wouldn't have made the press in 2016. Especially if the factory remains and there is still a chance of a future re-opening.
post #13 of 238 (permalink) Old 16-09-2016, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSi View Post
There has been a substantive article on AROnline which confirmed the cessation of UK assembly. If this was erroneous, I would have expected MG to deny it. It didn't.
MG employed 29 people in car assembly in 2014. (source: audited accounts). I suspect this dwindled down to a handful so wouldn't have made the press in 2016. Especially if the factory remains and there is still a chance of a future re-opening.
I cant find the substantive article on AROnline. Just checked out the forum and MG Motor news page?
Would be nice to see a link to this. You MD guys are quick to post up these constant negative reports with very little to back it up! Proof please.
post #14 of 238 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 07:26

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
According to Gemma Cartwright on the POL Facebook page - the staff that were 'let go' were the temporary agency staff that were contracted until 'September'.

I admit that the future for any sort of production operation at Longbridge doesnt look good - it makes more sense to have the new models built in their Thai factory which is brand new and feeding a far larger market but to start shouting about the 'end of MG in the UK' after letting a few temps go is nothing more than scaremongering.
post #15 of 238 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 07:48

Gemma spent a lot of last night deleting posts, including some from non-agency staff who had just been made redundant
post #16 of 238 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 08:24

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
They've kept all of the engineers and designers though haven't they?!
post #17 of 238 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 09:01

Car: CityRover
So sad for those staff who have lost their jobs if it's true that final assembly and PDI has now finished. Little reason to buy an MG if it is just a Chinese made import when so many cars are built in the UK by other manufacturers.

I hope those affected quickly find new jobs with the like of JLR
post #18 of 238 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 09:59

Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
I hope those affected quickly find new jobs with the like of JLR
Jaguar did a similar thing recently to temporary contract workers,our son left due to uncertainty and went back to VW. A number of workers in production are on contracts that be cancelled in a week.

It is a shame for the workers at MG , one of the workers made redundant is a personal friend, he works on the service side.
post #19 of 238 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechicken View Post
It is a shame for the workers at MG , one of the workers made redundant is a personal friend, he works on the service side.
Would your friend be able to confirm if production has now ceased at Longbridge as the OP reported?
post #20 of 238 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 12:06
GSi

Quote:
I cant find the substantive article on AROnline. Just checked out the forum and MG Motor news page?
Would be nice to see a link to this. You MD guys are quick to post up these constant negative reports with very little to back it up! Proof please.
I'm not on any other forums, just this one. The article below confirmed that Longbridge was no longer being used for assembly.
I think you have to understand matters from MG's perspective. Any comms it does are there with the ultimate objective of selling more cars.
Will advertising the fact that MG has ceased to assemble cars in the UK increase sales? No.
Is there a high chance that ending assembly will get picked up in the press and cause negative publicity for MG? No.
Therefore, there is no business benefit in MG issuing a press release/Tweet/Facebook announcement to advise the end of assembly.
When each new model is announced in the future, it will probably say correctly that cars will be imported directly from China but wouldn't rule out UK assembly if volumes warrant it.
Blog : MG ? more jam tomorrow... - AROnline : AROnline