Production has officially ended at Longbridge.. - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 13:36

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
Wouldn't this be reported in the Birmingham Post? Just checked on Google, cant find any story's relating to this. Is this just more hear say? or do you have a link?

There are close to 400 staff employed at Longbridge. The assembly lines have been flat out. Some MG3 models are even coming to UK ready assembled. I am sure mass redundancies would have at least made the local press
Nick, the Birmingham Post employs virtually zero journalists. They rely, almost totally, on press releases for their content, and I don't think even Matthew Cheyne is stupid enough to send out a press release trumpeting redundancies and the final end of manufacturing at Longbridge!

You can't really blame the Chinese for taking this action - the sales are pitiful, but if they had employed a decent MD and marketing manager from day one it could all have been very different. Very sad.
EbeneezerGoode likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 13:54

Car: scimitar ss1,1800 ti, Bond Bug,MG GS Exclusive, Nissan XTrail Tekna T32
Quote:
Would your friend be able to confirm if production has now ceased at Longbridge as the OP reported?
It is correct no vehicles are currently being produced.
post #23 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Murray View Post
Nick, the Birmingham Post employs virtually zero journalists. They rely, almost totally, on press releases for their content, and I don't think even Matthew Cheyne is stupid enough to send out a press release trumpeting redundancies and the final end of manufacturing at Longbridge!

You can't really blame the Chinese for taking this action - the sales are pitiful, but if they had employed a decent MD and marketing manager from day one it could all have been very different. Very sad.
The insurance company I work for recently made several hundred people redundant, no announcement was made in the local press.

My friend from MG has an interview lined up, I hope he gets the job.
post #24 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 14:20

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Murray View Post
....the sales are pitiful, but if they had employed a decent MD and marketing manager from day one it could all have been very different.
I really do not think it would have made the slightest difference.

They are currently trying to sell a car as an MG, which to my eyes appears to be a CityRover successor rather than a successor to the MG ZR (even with more subdued trim, I can't see it as a Rover 25 successor either) - it's styling and performance are not up to what an MG is percieved to be, and the trim and colouring has been sported up too much to appeal to a more pedestrian buyer.

They are now trying to sell an SUV as an MG - again, it simply isn't sporty enough to the carry the badge off, but again, the sporty overtones that it has been given will deter mainstream SUV buyers.

They need to use a different badge, and accept that they will struggle against the 'Chinese rubbish' stereotype which seems so prevalent in Europe when talking about cars.

Most average prospective buyers didn't realise anything was being built at Longbridge in the first place - another reason putting off those who would rather buy UK built/assembled and therefore will go for certain models of Nissan, Toyota or Honda.

Whilst it is clear that the dismal level of sales doesn't justify any kind of assembly operation at Longbridge, bringing in cars fully built isn't going to win any extra customers.

If they had started off using one of the other legacy marques that SAIC inherited (or possibly a new British sounding name without the negative baggage clinging to it in the way that it still does to BL brand names), and and had full assembly from BIW at Longbridge at the start, the UK built perception could have been highlighted and I think things really could have been different.

I have always been a very keen and enthusiastic follower of MG going right back to being a child, but I have felt that the MG brand has been sinking fast recently, and frankly, I think it is finished as far as most of the western world is concerned. It isn't exactly setting the pace in China either! The cars, the back up, the attitude and the direction of the brand has been wholly inadequate on virtually every level.
EbeneezerGoode likes this.
post #25 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 15:30
GSi

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post

They are currently trying to sell a car as an MG, which to my eyes appears to be a CityRover successor rather than a successor to the MG ZR (even with more subdued trim, I can't see it as a Rover 25 successor either) - it's styling and performance are not up to what an MG is percieved to be, and the trim and colouring has been sported up too much to appeal to a more pedestrian buyer.

They are now trying to sell an SUV as an MG - again, it simply isn't sporty enough to the carry the badge off, but again, the sporty overtones that it has been given will deter mainstream SUV buyers.

They need to use a different badge, and accept that they will struggle against the 'Chinese rubbish' stereotype which seems so prevalent in Europe when talking about cars.

Most average prospective buyers didn't realise anything was being built at Longbridge in the first place - another reason putting off those who would rather buy UK built/assembled and therefore will go for certain models of Nissan, Toyota or Honda.

Whilst it is clear that the dismal level of sales doesn't justify any kind of assembly operation at Longbridge, bringing in cars fully built isn't going to win any extra customers.

If they had started off using one of the other legacy marques that SAIC inherited (or possibly a new British sounding name without the negative baggage clinging to it in the way that it still does to BL brand names), and and had full assembly from BIW at Longbridge at the start, the UK built perception could have been highlighted and I think things really could have been different.

I have always been a very keen and enthusiastic follower of MG going right back to being a child, but I have felt that the MG brand has been sinking fast recently, and frankly, I think it is finished as far as most of the western world is concerned. It isn't exactly setting the pace in China either! The cars, the back up, the attitude and the direction of the brand has been wholly inadequate on virtually every level.
A good marketing director appointed on day one may well have convinced SAIC to have used another brand other than MG.
post #26 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 16:01

Quote:

How the ZR is viewed outside the enthusiast circle ?

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/the-s...by-rubbishness
post #27 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 16:13

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSi View Post
I'm not on any other forums, just this one. The article below confirmed that Longbridge was no longer being used for assembly.
I think you have to understand matters from MG's perspective. Any comms it does are there with the ultimate objective of selling more cars.
Will advertising the fact that MG has ceased to assemble cars in the UK increase sales? No.
Is there a high chance that ending assembly will get picked up in the press and cause negative publicity for MG? No.
Therefore, there is no business benefit in MG issuing a press release/Tweet/Facebook announcement to advise the end of assembly.
When each new model is announced in the future, it will probably say correctly that cars will be imported directly from China but wouldn't rule out UK assembly if volumes warrant it.
Blog : MG ? more jam tomorrow... - AROnline : AROnline
Great blog by Richard Williams. His dealership is just 'down the road from me'
Had to double check I was on AROnline though when I read the usual replies from the usual haters Chucky Dick and Co lol.
post #28 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechicken View Post

Ha Ha. Of course the Metro and ZR should be in that list.... But not the XR2.... That was a great little car, as is the MG3
post #29 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 16:41

Quote:

I fail to see the relevance of yet another so-called survey which is clearly just the opinion of the author - it certainly isn't typical of most people I come across.

The ZR wasn't that exceptional a car, but it was a successful seller (which MG should be trying to emulate) - the MG3 isn't selling (probably because most people outside the MG3 enthusiast fraternity think it is rubbish too ), and SAIC/MG either don't comprehend what makes an MG or haven't a clue what they are actually trying to achieve.
post #30 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 16:54

Quote:
I fail to see the relevance of yet another so-called survey which is clearly just the opinion of the author - it certainly isn't typical of most people I come across.

The ZR wasn't that exceptional a car, but it was a successful seller (which MG should be trying to emulate) - the MG3 isn't selling (probably because most people outside the MG3 enthusiast fraternity think it is rubbish too ), and SAIC/MG either don't comprehend what makes an MG or haven't a clue what they are actually trying to achieve.
But hasnt the MG3 sold in the 100's of thousands? Lets face it any car with an MG badge on it is ever going to sell in massive amounts in the UK
post #31 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 17:01
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:

Think they have summed them up quite well. Apart from the XR2i.
littlechicken likes this.
post #32 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkingdog View Post
Think they have summed them up quite well.
Apart from the incorrect 'facts' they have quoted - they have quoted the acceleration figure for the Metro 1300, not the Turbo (which was 9.4 secs to 60); and the "hoodie-clad delinquents" certainly weren't the ones buying the ZR new - they couldn't afford them, and the free insurance was a shortish promotion, not a long running thing (and I doubt if the aforementioned delinquents would have satisfied the conditions to be eligible for it in the first place). In short, a totally worthless list which has no relevence to anything (least of all to this thread!).
post #33 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 17:22

Quote:
But hasnt the MG3 sold in the 100's of thousands?
Outside China, no it hasn't, and bearing in mind the thread is concerned with assembly at Longbridge (or rather, the lack of it), I don't think sales in China really count. Plus, when you look at the sales figures for all cars in China, the MG3 doesn't look particularly sparkling over there either.
post #34 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 17:29

Quote:

You have missed the point, you hold the ZR in high esteem as you own one, nothing wrong in that, but the reality is it wasn't that great hence why MGR failed.I have owned both, and hand on heart would say the 3 is a better car than the ZR but that doesn't mean it is better than the competition. I agree a performance version should be launched, you wouldn't buy Rolex and start selling plastic cased quartz watches? but what do I know I drive plastic cars built by Reliant!

The MG name has a lot of baggage, why do you think BMW was happy to let it go ? I also think it will be many years before it will sell in any significant volume due to the association with a failed business etc

MG has been a Chinese car brand now for almost 10 years, you get LE500 owners saying the MG6 isn't a proper MG, and now your getting MG6 owners saying the GS isn't a proper MG so somethings never change
post #35 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 17:31

Quote:
Outside China, no it hasn't, and bearing in mind the thread is concerned with assembly at Longbridge (or rather, the lack of it), I don't think sales in China really count. Plus, when you look at the sales figures for all cars in China, the MG3 doesn't look particularly sparkling over there either.

Never the less the MG3 has outsold the MG ZR world wide by some margin.

I guess it is the same scenario as the MGR days. The MG models including the ZR, ZS and ZT didnt sell very well out side the country of manufacture, the UK. Same can be said for the latest offerings from China.

And in the same way the MG models are not particularly sparking over there, The same can be said about the offerings from MGR over here. Not even the Rover models could compete with the likes of Ford, causing the company to fold!
littlechicken likes this.
post #36 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 18:45

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
The MG3 is a better car all round than the ZR. I own both. The '3 feels more of an MG than the ZR.

I can't believe the crap that I just read about it not deserving the MG badge and looking like a city Rover?!

Some people are so determined to hate that they won't even give it a chance.

Oh, I also own a '6 that is far superior to my old ZS too.
post #37 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 20:04

Quote:
You have missed the point, you hold the ZR in high esteem as you own one, nothing wrong in that, but the reality is it wasn't that great hence why MGR failed.I have owned both, and hand on heart would say the 3 is a better car than the ZR
It damn well should be - the ZR is a 15 year old model based on a 21 year old design. The point you are missing is that the 3 doesn't appear to potential buyers to be good enough to be worthy of consideration. The 3 may well be better than a ZR (though that is debateable because the 3 is only really comparable to the ZR 105, there being no range topping performance model to compare to the 160), and I believe the 3 is a sound car, but many people do see it as inadequate for what they percieve an MG should be.

I am well aware of the negative baggage that goes with all of the legacy badges that MGR and now SAIC have inherited - that is why I think they should have started with a new one. In the early NAC days, I had hoped and expected that the car buying public would adjust to the MG marque covering all bases, but I have had to accept that there is an entrenched view of what an MG should be which wil never change, and for most people the SAIC/MG offerings simply do not measure up - the MG badge is IMO a hindrance, not an asset.

Suggesting that the inadequacy of the ZR is the reason MG Rover failed is, quite frankly laughable. The 25 and ZR together were the only source of hope in the MGR era - sales of 45/ZS and particularly 75/ZT were pretty dismal (I say 'particularly' for the 75 because it was a very expensive car to manufacture for a company staring into the abyss).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snifferdog
I can't believe the crap that I just read about it not deserving the MG badge and looking like a city Rover?!
Well, just stand back and take a good look at it - both are the same boxy, high stance 'city' car type of design. It defies belief that anyone with reasonable eyesight can't see the very obvious similarities. It may also help to explain why so many non-MG enthusiasts dismiss the 3 in the same disparaging way that they also dismissed the CityRover without even sitting in one, let alone driving one.

If the CityRover had been given a major facelift, something like the MG3 could have been the result, and it is why I am convinced that the 3 would have fared better wearing a different badge and styled and trimmed to suit the mainstream small hatchback buyer rather than trying to pretend to be a sports car with the brightly coloured trim and graphics. Of course, MGR had planned to market an MG version of the CityRover, but were dissuaded from putting the MG badge on it for pretty much the same reasons that I think the 3 should have been something other than an MG.
post #38 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 20:20

Car: CityRover
The above falling out, whilst possibly entertaining in a juvenile way, is however a distraction from the thread and a disservice to those poor devils who have put so much in, only to lose their jobs.

Production ends in the UK, stagnant sales in the UK and falling sales in the home market.

So, what next for MG?
post #39 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 21:33

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSi View Post
A good marketing director appointed on day one may well have convinced SAIC to have used another brand other than MG.
That was my point. A 'heavyweight' MD, who knows and understands the UK car market, and given free reign by SAIC, would hopefully not have made many of the poor decisions that we have sadly witnessed over the past few years. If the MG badge was to be used, one would have hoped that the cars would then have contained more MG DNA.

Last edited by Ruby Murray; 17-09-2016 at 21:45.
post #40 of 231 (permalink) Old 17-09-2016, 22:11

Quote:
It damn well should be - the ZR is a 15 year old model based on a 21 year old design.

Suggesting that the inadequacy of the ZR is the reason MG Rover failed is, quite frankly laughable. The 25 and ZR together were the only source of hope in the MGR era - sales of 45/ZS and particularly 75/ZT were pretty dismal (I say 'particularly' for the 75 because it was a very expensive car to manufacture for a company staring into the abyss).
Frankly if the only source of hope for MGR was an outdated 10 year old design, it's no wonder it failed!

The 3 struggles because MG of old is still fresh in potential buyers minds, how many times I say I own an MG to be asked has the head gasket been changed yet is laughable.

The 3 deserves to do better, and if it had then these guys would still have a job.

Question if they did a performance version would you buy one?