Production has officially ended at Longbridge.. - Page 4 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 238 (permalink) Old 19-09-2016, 15:22 Thread Starter
MGM

Car: Other Manufacturer
SAIC's plans for the UK market are bizarre at the least, as you've mentioned, rapid expansion of the UK dealer network for just two models for the next couple of years at least..?
Unless, of course, SAIC have bigger plans that we don't know about, e.g a full model line up, which seems highly unlikely. Perhaps the roewe vision concept is destined to also be an MG. Along with new 3, ZS crossover and larger crossover. All speculation, but perhaps they wanted to stop assembly at Longbridge now, before new models are introduced, probably to save costs on lease and retooling the lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 238 (permalink) Old 19-09-2016, 19:48
gots me a pair o' MGs

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
MG is a British brand the same as JLR.
That is correct,, but there is a marked difference between a brand and a company. The MG, Jaguar and Land Rover brands will always be British; the companies on the other hand might not be.

Quote:
TaTa could move production to India any time they wanted to because it is an Indian owned company. I would predict more and more JLR models being built in India and China in the future. Just look how they are treating the once great British steel industry..
Tata are gradually starting production of JLR models abroad to supplement what is built here not replace it. It's simple cold hard business sense, much like how they dumped the steel industry. They will never pull JLR out of this country.
post #63 of 238 (permalink) Old 19-09-2016, 22:20

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Tata are gradually starting production of JLR models abroad to supplement what is built here not replace it. It's simple cold hard business sense, much like how they dumped the steel industry. They will never pull JLR out of this country.
I would certainly like your crystal ball. Jaguar almost died under BL, Doubt this will ever happen again under TaTa. and a manufacturing base will always be here in the UK I am a big fan. Have owned a few JLR's over the years, and lots of MG's. This is why I hope both companies will continue their recent growth

I was hoping MGR would revive under John Towers as Jaguar did under John Egan. But unfortunately we all know that never happened. I was very sad when Jaguar became a foreign owned company under Ford, then TaTa. However was a great pity MGR was never taken over as a going concern by Honda or even Ford. Basically the company had to re start under Chinese ownership, but at least they still have a presence here in the UK, and there will be a continued link to Longbridge even if ex employees and associates remain bitter.

Last edited by NickTL; 19-09-2016 at 22:31.

post #64 of 238 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 09:20
GSi

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Quote:
I would certainly like your crystal ball. Jaguar almost died under BL, Doubt this will ever happen again under TaTa. and a manufacturing base will always be here in the UK I am a big fan. Have owned a few JLR's over the years, and lots of MG's. This is why I hope both companies will continue their recent growth

I was hoping MGR would revive under John Towers as Jaguar did under John Egan. But unfortunately we all know that never happened. I was very sad when Jaguar became a foreign owned company under Ford, then TaTa. However was a great pity MGR was never taken over as a going concern by Honda or even Ford. Basically the company had to re start under Chinese ownership, but at least they still have a presence here in the UK, and there will be a continued link to Longbridge even if ex employees and associates remain bitter.
I think it will take a crystal ball to see a continued link to Longbridge. As an engineering and car-importing company, SAIC may move elsewhere if not tied down by an assembly line - but I suspect it will be in the West Midlands. I'm pleased to see the SMTC division is recruiting and these are higher-end jobs than assembly line jobs, though I was sad to see those jobs ending.
Small matter - Tata is a family name so there is just one capital "T" in it.
post #65 of 238 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 13:00

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Unfortunately it's the standard reply's from the same few above
Oh, the irony.
post #66 of 238 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
the constant harping on about advertising is a red herring; there have been periods of quite intensive advertising on TV channels that might be expected to be viewed by the type of people MG Motor are aiming at, together with paper advertisments in various newspapers and magazines with a similar demographic. These periods of advertising appeared to make only a slight impact on sales.(
It's the quality of the advertising, not the quantity, that's partly to blame, though.
post #67 of 238 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 13:18

Quote:
SAIC only bid for the engine equipment and blueprints from Powertrain - they were never remotely interested in the assembly lines, Longbridge factory or marketing their cars outside China at that time.(
A good point that many people, I think, forget. SAIC never wanted Longbridge as a production facility.
post #68 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 11:30

Someone did say that nothing had been seen in the local press.

Car assembly axed at Longbridge despite rising MG sales in the UK - Birmingham Post
post #69 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 11:48

saw this on TV... BBC Business news this morning. 25 redundancies ... Very sad
post #70 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 12:09 Thread Starter
MGM

What will happen to the remaining car assembly buildings? It's terrible that they've decided to do this, you can't defend their decision either. The historic longbridge plant has yet again been dropped on favour of China. Although, it could have been worse, with the whole of Longbridge going. In saying that, as a foreign company, I'd be fully utilising the place where the cars are well known to be manufactured.
post #71 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
What will happen to the remaining car assembly buildings? It's terrible that they've decided to do this, you can't defend their decision either. The historic longbridge plant has yet again been dropped on favour of China. Although, it could have been worse, with the whole of Longbridge going. In saying that, as a foreign company, I'd be fully utilising the place where the cars are well known to be manufactured.
Im guessing the assembly building will be mothballed in the same way as the massive CAB2 and paint shop buildings. Shame Longbridge could easily be set up for volume manufacture with these facilities
post #72 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 12:55

I'm a little concerned about what SAIC mean by 'no longer required'.
post #73 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 13:21

Car: MG 6 GT
Sad, but surely inevitable? How long could SAIC continue to maintain a manufacturing presence in a country where sales are paltry at best?

It's possibly the beginning of the end for the brand altogether. If they couldn't find buyers for MGs in Britain, where can they find them?
Glyn Scothern likes this.
post #74 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 16:57

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNorman View Post
I'm a little concerned about what SAIC mean by 'no longer required'.
I think the same will be said regarding the dealer network before too much longer. Whilst they keep trumpeting massive percentage increases in sales, the reality is that the cars are selling unbelievably badly - you would have expected monthly sales figures in four figures by now (even without any advertising at all).

I said it once before recently - MG is finished as far as the UK market is concerned. They have no idea where they are going with a disjointed 'range' that doesn't match the percieved attributes of the MG brand, and from most reliable reports, the vehicles they are trying to sell are a step behind their competition, and there don't appear to be any advanced plans for up to date replacement models.

I fully expect the big percentage rises in sales to stagnate and then slip away again - the MG3 is now nearly as old as the Rover 75 was during the MGR era, and the 75 was popularly regarded as an 'ageing' model at that time.

I certainly wouldn't consider buying a car completely assembled outside the UK, and I would actively discourage anyone else from doing so either.
RolandRat and Perry Stalsis like this.
post #75 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 17:03

Car: Rover 75 CDT, Metro 116,MGF VVC,Mrs JoCoLo's Panda 1.2 and Mstr JoCoLo's TF 115
On TV at 6:30 Midlands Today BBC1 now

Saying production has finished.

Last edited by JoCoLo; 23-09-2016 at 17:28.
post #76 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 17:13

Car: MG ZR120 + MG3 Form Sport + MG6 GT.
Quote:
I think the same will be said regarding the dealer network before too much longer. Whilst they keep trumpeting massive percentage increases in sales, the reality is that the cars are selling unbelievably badly - you would have expected monthly sales figures in four figures by now (even without any advertising at all).

I said it once before recently - MG is finished as far as the UK market is concerned. They have no idea where they are going with a disjointed 'range' that doesn't match the percieved attributes of the MG brand, and from most reliable reports, the vehicles they are trying to sell are a step behind their competition, and there don't appear to be any advanced plans for up to date replacement models.

I fully expect the big percentage rises in sales to stagnate and then slip away again - the MG3 is now nearly as old as the Rover 75 was during the MGR era, and the 75 was popularly regarded as an 'ageing' model at that time.

I certainly wouldn't consider buying a car completely assembled outside the UK, and I would actively discourage anyone else from doing so either.
You would 'actively discourage' people from buying a new MG because it isnt final assembled at Longbridge?!

Why?

I really am struggling to get my head around some peoples reaction.

And why would they stop selling them in the UK now that they are surpassing long-standing brands such as Subaru and closing in on Alfa Romeo sales-wise?! Especially now that they have been able to cut costs at Longbridge and streamline the business model?
post #77 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 17:25

Car: CityRover
Perhaps I'm one of the few. I like to buy British built cars..it's why I bought MGR cars and from the predecessor organisations. I feel good by knowing I'm getting a good car and keeping some of my fellow Brits in work as the UK needs a manufacturing industry.

As MG is no longer built or even the tiniest bit of final assembly I won't buy one. Someone did ask me the other day if I'd buy a GS - I said no as it is a complete import..they agreed they'd think the same.

It's my money and my choice - sorry if that upsets those that think Chinese built MG's are the best things since slice bread but you'll have to live with my differing opinion to yours.

Will be such a shame to see Longbridge manufacturing ceasing for ever. St Modwen will have the bulldozers in soon I expect
post #78 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 17:58

I too like to buy British built cars. However would never consider a Nissan or Honda. So I guess unless you are in the market for an exotic car such as Bentley or Aston Martin it has to be a Jag or Land Rover. Of course this is only the case if you are buying new. So I guess all the usual hate posters only buy new cars? Number one on my wish list is a Tesla model S. Not a new one, so doesnt matter that it's nailed together by Mexicans.
post #79 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 18:04

Car: MG Magnette, MG Maestro x2, MG ZT and Rover 416GTi
Send a message via MSN to matthewsemple
I always thought the assembly at Longbridge thing was a bit farcical. The cars are built in China and most people who are aware they are on sale will know that. For the MG6 this assembly factor seemed to add loads to the cost for very little perceived value. The average car buyer doesn't want a car built at Longbridge.

With the MG3 I was never convinced that they were assembled at Longbridge at all. At best it seemed to be an elaborate PDI and there were rumours that cars were sent straight from the port to dealerships. The lower prices seemed to confirm this for me. The 25 redundancies also as you cannot manufacture cars with only 25 staff even in the small volumes they were producing.

As for the advertising, that is an embarrassment. You wait to see an advert and then when it appears you wish they hadn't bothered!

As with Eastern European cars of the 80s (of which I am a closet fan) most buyers will find a second hand model from a more mainstream manufacturer makes more sense. For 8000 you can buy a decent second hand Mini which will be faster, more economical and in three years time be worth more if you sold it. And it's built in Britain with a British engine (except the Countryman that is built in Austria).
EbeneezerGoode likes this.
post #80 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsemple View Post
I always thought the assembly at Longbridge thing was a bit farcical. The cars are built in China and most people who are aware they are on sale will know that. For the MG6 this assembly factor seemed to add loads to the cost for very little perceived value. The average car buyer doesn't want a car built at Longbridge.
You are correct. I dont think the average car buyer knows where their new car was built. A lot of people think Ford is British. Think my last 'American' Ford was built in Belgium lol.

I can see why the final assembly has finished at Longbridge since the MG6 was dropped because about 35 - 40% of parts used were UK and Europe sourced. Dont think this is the case with the MG3 and GS. Or certainly a lot less. It was announced a wile back that the new GS would only have the UK dashboard fitted and optional extras ordered by customers. Not even sure this is happening at Longbridge now