Production has officially ended at Longbridge.. - Page 5 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #81 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 18:32

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
I too like to buy British built cars. However would never consider a Nissan or Honda. So I guess unless you are in the market for an exotic car such as Bentley or Aston Martin it has to be a Jag or Land Rover. Of course this is only the case if you are buying new. So I guess all the usual hate posters only buy new cars? Number one on my wish list is a Tesla model S. Not a new one, so doesnt matter that it's nailed together by Mexicans.
We can all choose what cars we want to buy for our own reasons. So often there is little respect for personal decision making.

I just don't want to spend my money on an import and I buy new cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 18:59

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
We can all choose what cars we want to buy for our own reasons. So often there is little respect for personal decision making.

I just don't want to spend my money on an import and I buy new cars.
Good on you. You are supporting British workers by buying new. I did too changing my five year old Range Rover for a new Disco. What car did you buy?
post #83 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 19:03

After quite a few Freelanders a switch to a Qashqai

post #84 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 19:13

Quote:
After quite a few Freelanders a switch to a Qashqai
Was told by the salesman my car was the Freelander replacement, so I dont think you can buy them new any more?

I guess it's a bit of a turn around - your Asian Nissan built in England. My English MG6 was buit in Asia
post #85 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 19:16
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:

I guess it's a bit of a turn around - your Asian Nissan built in England. My English MG6 was buit in Asia
Topsey turvy world.
post #86 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 20:02

Killed by under-investment by the Chinese and utterly talentless management at Longbridge.
post #87 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 20:02

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferdog1 View Post
You would 'actively discourage' people from buying a new MG because it isnt final assembled at Longbridge?!

Why?
Yes, in exactly the same way as I actively discourage people from buying any other wholly foreign manufactured car - VW, Citroen, FIAT, Skoda; all brands which manufacture nothing here in the UK. MG is now no different in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferdog
I really am struggling to get my head around some peoples reaction.

And why would they stop selling them in the UK now that they are surpassing long-standing brands such as Subaru and closing in on Alfa Romeo sales-wise?! Especially now that they have been able to cut costs at Longbridge and streamline the business model?
Because their cars are not performing sales wise. I do not believe for one minute that sales of the already ageing MG3 will continue to rise for much longer. I can't really see the new SUV type vehicles doing any better. Added to which, SAIC has never had any enthusiasm for selling its products outside China and was only forced into doing so by Chinese Government policy.

I also can't see any reason why UK MG dealers will want to continue with a brand that offers cars which (according to reliable reviews) don't measure up to the competition, don't seem to appeal to buyers, and so far have appeared to be outdated compared with the competition by the time they have been launched onto the UK market. Whilst MG currently keeps announcing the appointment of new dealerships, you don't hear so much about the ones that have given up (one Lincolnshire dealer gave up a while ago after having been continuously an MG/Rover/Austin dealer for a good many years).

No matter how you try and paint positives to the figures (and goodness knows I have been trying very hard to find positives in the last few years), the UK sales performance of the models they have offered here has been desperately poor. This is a supposed volume car manufacturer - they should be selling thousands per month, not the low hundreds, especially as both the MG6 and MG3 have been available long enough for volumes to develop. Volumes in other markets have been pretty pathetic too, and even in China MG (and Roewe haven't exactly been dominating the new car sales figures. Sorry, but MG are going nowhere fast.

Quote:
Perhaps I'm one of the few. I like to buy British built cars..it's why I bought MGR cars and from the predecessor organisations. .........
Me too.

Quote:
So I guess unless you are in the market for an exotic car such as Bentley or Aston Martin it has to be a Jag or Land Rover. Of course this is only the case if you are buying new. So I guess all the usual hate posters only buy new cars?
Sadly, for most ordinary people on ordinary rates of pay, Jaguar and Land Rover also come under the heading of 'Exotic'. Ordinary people on ordinary pay can't even dream of affording one new (or even recent second hand).

Why do you seem to suffer from the quaint view that if you don't buy new, it doesn't count? Second hand car buyers are just as important in supporting UK manufacture - how much do you think your expensive new car would be worth when you come to change it if it were not for the second hand buyers? That's right - absolutely nothing, so you wouldn't buy it in the first place (or having bought it at great cost, wouldn't buy another until that one was worn out beyond economical repair).
RolandRat likes this.
post #88 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 20:06

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Stalsis View Post
Killed by under-investment by the Chinese and utterly talentless management at Longbridge.
Utterly talentless and inept management in China is the root of it tbf.
post #89 of 238 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 20:31

I can't argue with that.
post #90 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 03:26

Car: Daihatsu Sirion
UK made cars - mainstream

So if anyone wants to buy locally made, what is on offer?

Toyota Auris - hatch & tourer
Toyota Avensis - saloon & tourer
Nissan Qashqai
Nissan Juke
Nissan Note
Nissan Leaf
Honda Civic hatch & tourer
Honda C-RV
Vauxhall Astra sportswagon
Mini 3 & 5 door hatch
Mini Clubman

Any others anyone can think of or corrections to the list?
post #91 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 05:16
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Stalsis View Post
Very similar to the last lot who had MG then.
post #92 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 05:45

The other way of looking at is may be because MG sales have risen month on month for the last three years, the 25 production workers simply couldnt cope with the volumes . May be it is easier to simply import fully assembled straight from China
post #93 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 06:39

Quote:
The other way of looking at is may be because MG sales have risen month on month for the last three years, the 25 production workers simply couldnt cope with the volumes . May be it is easier to simply import fully assembled straight from China
Do you really, honestly, think anyone could possibly believe that to be the case?

You are Mathew Cheyne and I claim my 5.

Last edited by Perry Stalsis; 24-09-2016 at 13:00.
post #94 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 07:48

Car: Other Manufacturer
On Sept 16th
Quote:
The assembly lines have been flat out.
and yet, on Sept 23rd (only 7 days later)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven211 View Post
Lies lies lies, production was stopped before brexit, back in June.
Nick, start taking notice of what people are saying, look into things and don't just rely on Cheyne's latest press release and the local paper.
post #95 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 08:26

Car: MG Magnette, MG Maestro x2, MG ZT and Rover 416GTi
Send a message via MSN to matthewsemple
Depending on the options, they could be dealer-fit. Wheels are easy to do as are upgraded stereos. Certainly not worth taking cars via Longbridge to get fitted.
post #96 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCee View Post
So if anyone wants to buy locally made, what is on offer?

Toyota Auris - hatch & tourer
Toyota Avensis - saloon & tourer
Nissan Qashqai
Nissan Juke
Nissan Note
Nissan Leaf
Honda Civic hatch & tourer
Honda C-RV
Vauxhall Astra sportswagon
Mini 3 & 5 door hatch
Mini Clubman

Any others anyone can think of or corrections to the list?
Infiniti Q30
Also various Jaguars and Land Rovers

UK CR-V production will stop for the next generation as they're making it a centre for Civic Hatch production (also selling to the US etc).
post #97 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 10:09

Quote:
The fact that you would post something so tactless and illogical right now (as well as your previous recent posts that seem only to derail and poison the discussion) on a forum where there's at least one ex-production worker suggests you are only here to troll now.
post #98 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 10:45

Car: MG 6 GT
Quote:
That's some textbook trolling.
post #99 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 11:49
GSi

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkingdog View Post
Very similar to the last lot who had MG then.
The difference is that MG Rover had no backers behind it, MGR had to sell the land to keep solvent. By contrast, MG has the backing of SAIC behind it.
post #100 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 12:42

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
After what has been a depressing last 24-hours for all enthusiasts of MG and Longbridge, you can always rely on a crazy post from Nick to put a smile back on your face.