Production has officially ended at Longbridge.. - Page 6 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #101 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 16:06

Car: MG Magnette, MG Maestro x2, MG ZT and Rover 416GTi
Send a message via MSN to matthewsemple
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
The other way of looking at is may be because MG sales have risen month on month for the last three years, the 25 production workers simply couldnt cope with the volumes . May be it is easier to simply import fully assembled straight from China
As only the MG6 had any significant assembly at Longbridge, and they have hardly been selling any of those, the real reason is likely to be the opposite of what you have suggested.

I guess you posted that as a wind-up! Which seems to have worked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 16:32

Car: CityRover
I'm sure the ex production lads must be crying with laughter.
post #103 of 238 (permalink) Old 24-09-2016, 18:36

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsemple View Post
As only the MG6 had any significant assembly at Longbridge, and they have hardly been selling any of those, the real reason is likely to be the opposite of what you have suggested.

I guess you posted that as a wind-up! Which seems to have worked
Yeah I knew it would wind up Dick, Andy and Co with their new User names. All the Mongbridge haters .lol.

post #104 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 04:32

Car: Other Manufacturer
Even at this time, when workers are loosing their jobs and unsure of what the future may hold, you continue with your deluded view that everyone who doesn't agree with you (and lately that seems to be most people on here) must be a hater who has come from somewhere else and uses a variety of other names.

This is a serious situation. It may be 'only' 25 jobs at Longbridge, but the true total will be higher once you factor in the supply chain etc.
post #105 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 08:06

I personally feel that mathewsemple constructed a lifeboat and NickTL saw the opportunity and hopped right in.

Nick's original post, more honest but somewhat deluded, may perhaps be the result of over-generous imbibing.

It's the only logical explanation for such a crass and insensitive outburst.
post #106 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 10:27
GSi

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNorman View Post
This is a serious situation. It may be 'only' 25 jobs at Longbridge, but the true total will be higher once you factor in the supply chain etc.
And I think from other articles MG said 10 were being redeployed within MG and SMTC so the absolute redundancies were 15. I wish them all well and am pleased that many other parts of the UK motor industry seem to be thriving.
But to me the tragedy is the potential to restart full UK MG production looks to have ended. MG will only make real savings if it reduces the space it rents from St Modwen. So we can expect to see it handing back the keys and shipping anything worthwhile in the plant to Thailand and China.
post #107 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 13:17

Quote:
I doubt there will be much of a supply chain impact. I know there were a few bits on the first 6s that were UK sourced but subsequently that diminished on the MG3 and MK2 6. The supply chain will mostly be in China.
post #108 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 13:24

True, although there are other things, such as logistics. The set-up at Bristol docks have their own logistics and delivery arrangements so any company who has been delivering from Longbridge to dealers will no longer be needed.
post #109 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 16:28

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSi View Post
And I think from other articles MG said 10 were being redeployed within MG and SMTC so the absolute redundancies were 15. I wish them all well and am pleased that many other parts of the UK motor industry seem to be thriving.
But to me the tragedy is the potential to restart full UK MG production looks to have ended. MG will only make real savings if it reduces the space it rents from St Modwen. So we can expect to see it handing back the keys and shipping anything worthwhile in the plant to Thailand and China.
It would be excellent if JLR, or even MINI, both of whom are in need of extra capacity, could take over the lease for the two CAB buildings.
post #110 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 16:33 Thread Starter
MGM

What's left of Longbridge would need significant investment to be returned to full car building facilities. Such a shame BMW sold MG and abandoned plans to build the new mini there, things could have been so much different for Longbridge....
post #111 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 17:17

Completely agree MGM.

Bearing in mind that none of these buildings have had any heat in them for over 10 years and probably little or no maintenance, I doubt that they are economically viable for any future use.
post #112 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSi View Post
from other articles MG said 10 were being redeployed within MG and SMTC so the absolute redundancies were 15.
or is this 25 redundancies PLUS 10 redeployments, meaning 35 jobs have gone.
post #113 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 20:59
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Very unfortunate for the 25 workers who have lost their jobs. However there was an inevitability about production ceasing, and SAIC should be given some (small) credit for maintaining it for so long when it was clearly unsustainable.

As said previously, SAIC inherited Longbridge from NAC by default with the merger and never had UK production on their agenda - and possibly not even UK sales either. MG Motor is now little more than a local distributor of Chinese-built SAIC vehicles so will possibly have even less scope to control what they can offer to market. Their range is small, with availability of engines, transmission and features offered elsewhere sadly limited. Could it be the other engines etc. are not deemed suitable for the UK market, or are they not compliant? As the raison d'etre for SMTC is to 'Europeanise' the Chinese-developed models, I am hopefully this situation will improve in time.
post #114 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 21:06

Car: Rover 211 MG ZS 120 MG ZT 160T ZTT 120 MG3 Style MG ZS 180
Would be nice if JLR or Mini took part of it over. Its such a shame to see a historic car plant standing idle. Do people think there is any chance of MG using it to make cars again? Ive always bought MG and Rover products because they were built here and at least my 3 has a Longbridge VIN number, so I am not sure how it will effect my next car purchase. I even bought Triumph because it was British (although I later found out my Speed Triple was made in Thailand!)
Part of me is now thinking it was a bit of a stitch up. From the start they said they would produce cars at Longbridge if demand was good enough, but its almost like they made sure sales were slow with poor advertising and not capitalising on BTCC success Im still a huge MG fan, but I feel a bit letdown after the latest news after supporting the brand from the relaunch. I hope sales continue to rise and new products are released in the UK, but they will have to do something special to make sure my next car is an MG.
post #115 of 238 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 22:20
GSi

Quote:
From what I read, it was 25 gross less 10 redeployments giving 15 net redundancies.
post #116 of 238 (permalink) Old 26-09-2016, 22:51

Car: Rover 211 MG ZS 120 MG ZT 160T ZTT 120 MG3 Style MG ZS 180
Heard tonight on one of the MG forums that a joint venture with VW is in the the pipeline and there is lots of new products being developed at Longbridge. Sounds interesting.
post #117 of 238 (permalink) Old 26-09-2016, 23:21

I really hope the first bit is untrue, I'd find it very sad to see MG become another VAG clone brand. I do hope there are lots of new products being developed though.
post #118 of 238 (permalink) Old 26-09-2016, 23:51
GSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
Heard tonight on one of the MG forums that a joint venture with VW is in the the pipeline and there is lots of new products being developed at Longbridge. Sounds interesting.
Intriguing - are you able to share a link to the article you read?
Elsewhere, VW has announced a new Chinese joint venture and it's not with its existing partners FAW and SAIC. Volkswagen in Talks to Make Electric Cars in China - WSJ
post #119 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 04:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
Which MG forum?
post #120 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 04:56
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbeneezerGoode View Post
I really hope the first bit is untrue, I'd find it very sad to see MG become another VAG clone brand. I do hope there are lots of new products being developed though.
IMO this would be the best thing ever to happen to MG. Look at the success of Skoda and the sales of the new Mini.