Production has officially ended at Longbridge.. - Page 7 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 07:52

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSi View Post
VW has announced a new Chinese joint venture and it's not with its existing partners FAW and SAIC.
That rules out any MG involvement then, doesn't it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 11:43

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
I even bought Triumph because it was British (although I later found out my Speed Triple was made in Thailand!)
O/T, I know, but I always thought the Twins were built in Thailand and the Triples in the UK, but it's probably not as straightforward as that now.
post #123 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 13:26

Car: Rover 211 MG ZS 120 MG ZT 160T ZTT 120 MG3 Style MG ZS 180
A guy on the ZT Facebook page mentioned it when he visited longbridge recently.
We shall see I guess!

post #124 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 16:33

Car: CityRover
An unimpeachable source, obviously.
post #125 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 17:23

Car: MG 6 GT
The MG brand is too tarnished now. SAIC will do better taking their domestic brand Roewe international. It carries no baggage.
post #126 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 17:31
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonMG View Post
The MG brand is too tarnished now. SAIC will do better taking their domestic brand Roewe international. It carries no baggage.
Apart from the name.
post #127 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 18:07 Thread Starter
MGM

Car: Other Manufacturer
Interestingly, photos have emerged of part of the Longbridge site (in September 2016) of seemingly unfinished body shells from way back in 2005, with trashed offices etc. Seems whilst a part of Longbridge has been mothballed, and kept relatively well, part of the site looks pretty derelict. Id have thought that SAIC had gutted Longbridge out from the MGR days? It's fascinating to me seeing the inside of the factory, as the only thing that I've really seen was the assembly lines and parts of SMTC.
post #128 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 18:37

Car: MG GS Exclusive DCT
post #129 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 18:56

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
That is fascinating seeing that Rover 45 still on the production line. I thought SMC engineers had completed all remaining cars back in 2007. I bought one of the '07' hand finished ZT's. Also tried to buy one of four finished 'new' ZT 260 V8 models left back in 2010, but the Chinese wouldn't sell for health and safety reasons!! Wonder if any whole cars remain now
post #130 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 19:05

I recall there was a cut off point for each model at differing progress on the production line. There weren't enough bits to finish them all and complications with Honda maybe. I don't recall much being completed unless it was near the end of the line already. Most were scrap metal at that point sadly due to lack of parts to finish them.
post #131 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 19:22

Car: Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
I recall there was a cut off point for each model at differing progress on the production line. There weren't enough bits to finish them all and complications with Honda maybe. I don't recall much being completed unless it was near the end of the line already. Most were scrap metal at that point sadly due to lack of parts to finish them.

That makes a lot of sense. That 45 is far from complete. I remember there were still over 100 complete cars scrapped after me and a few others tried to buy a few in 2010.
post #132 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 20:44
GSi

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
That is fascinating seeing that Rover 45 still on the production line. I thought SMC engineers had completed all remaining cars back in 2007. I bought one of the '07' hand finished ZT's. Also tried to buy one of four finished 'new' ZT 260 V8 models left back in 2010, but the Chinese wouldn't sell for health and safety reasons!! Wonder if any whole cars remain now
Back in 2007, NAC would have been running the plant not SAIC. It was pretty cash-strapped so I guess it just left things as they were.
post #133 of 238 (permalink) Old 27-09-2016, 22:14

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTL View Post
....... I thought SMC engineers had completed all remaining cars back in 2007. .....
No MG Rover cars were completed in 2007 - a significant number were finished off in the summer of 2005, and then more shells were built up later in 2005 where parts were in store to enable this - this was after NAC had removed the lines and those cars were built up where they had been placed on the factory floor when the NAC workers lifted them off the lines they were removing. Terry/ts autos gave some information about it (he was there as one of the key workers on the 75/ZT line, recalled by the administrators - see posts #23, #25 and #29 in this thread: Some big claims on a ZT.

The removal of most of the assembly lines by NAC was probably the most bizarre event of all, when they had nowhere to install them once they arrived in China, precipitating a two year delay whilst they got new factory buildings erected at Pukou. The sensible thing to have done would have been to get the Longbridge lines restarted as soon as they could get components suppliers to supply again, and build up stocks of cars for the remaining UK dealers, before then moving the lines. Had there been continuity of supply to keep dealers in business, and had SAIC been able to supply the 6 and 3 to established dealers operating with a continuous brand availabilty, perhaps they might have done a little better.

I wonder, (had the Rover 25/MG ZR still been in production at Longbridge), whether their current sales in 2016 would have exceeded those of the MG models currently available?? I think they probably would.

By most reports, the MG6 and MG3 are regarded by many (if not most) as inferior, the much vaunted new engines that were supposedly being designed by SMTC at Longbridge, have mostly not appeared, or we are now led to believe are not able to comply with current emissions standards, and as far as I can see, there are no reports of forthcoming MGs in development beyond the forthcoming SUV type vehicles (and I have a distinct suspicion that most of what we have seen or heard about over the last 10 years has merely been a continuation of projects ongoing at the time of the collapse of MG Rover), one has to ask what exactly the designers/engineers at SMTC (both here and in China) have actually been doing, and prompts me to ask how long it will be before SAIC say that SMTC UK "is no longer required" ??
GSi likes this.
post #134 of 238 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 05:13
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Seems to me like new owners from China only wanted to get their hands on technology as fast as possible and transport it to motherland nevertheless they could not properly use it.
Further, they wanted to use new technology, but could not make something worth mass production all over the world.
They came to UK market too soon, hopeing they are ready, but they are not.
Now they want to bail out before they loose more money.
Seems we will have to wait and read from overseas papers and articles how MG is doing on asian markets.
Maybe one day they decide they are good enough for this market again, but that highly depends how economy will stay at that time and which cars will be present to compete then.

From my standing point I would say MG would be far better to go into electric cars market, because there you have high speeds, new emerging market viable to sustain itself and MG could be great again.

But we will have to wait and see....
post #135 of 238 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 12:08
GSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
The removal of most of the assembly lines by NAC was probably the most bizarre event of all, when they had nowhere to install them once they arrived in China, precipitating a two year delay whilst they got new factory buildings erected at Pukou. The sensible thing to have done would have been to get the Longbridge lines restarted as soon as they could get components suppliers to supply again, and build up stocks of cars for the remaining UK dealers, before then moving the lines. Had there been continuity of supply to keep dealers in business, and had SAIC been able to supply the 6 and 3 to established dealers operating with a continuous brand availabilty, perhaps they might have done a little better.

I wonder, (had the Rover 25/MG ZR still been in production at Longbridge), whether their current sales in 2016 would have exceeded those of the MG models currently available?? I think they probably would.
Interesting history. NAC doesn't seem the most competent of companies. Did it sell any TFs in China? That period was a bizarre time in its history too. Your plan may have worked, I can't think the company would be in such a poor market-share situation as it is now.
post #136 of 238 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 13:51

weren't there issues once the lines had stopped that once they restarted after such a long pause they would have to have met new crash and emissions standards...which would have been unlikely.
post #137 of 238 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 18:15
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
weren't there issues once the lines had stopped that once they restarted after such a long pause they would have to have met new crash and emissions standards...which would have been unlikely.
The K-series was re-engineered to meet the Euro 4 as the N-Series in the relaunched TF. The improvements had been largely completed under MGR prior to collapse. No reason to think the other capacities couldn't have achieved this emission standard.
post #138 of 238 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 18:42
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
The best thing that could happen now is to flatten the plant and draw a line under the whole sorry mess. Maybe in years to come a small sports car company, Lotus, Caterham or similar could acquirer the MG name and make a small roadster again. Living in hope.
MGNorman likes this.
post #139 of 238 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 20:00
GSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
The K-series was re-engineered to meet the Euro 4 as the N-Series in the relaunched TF. The improvements had been largely completed under MGR prior to collapse. No reason to think the other capacities couldn't have achieved this emission standard.
What about crash worthiness on the R25 though? I assume the R75 would have been up to current standards but it may not have been worthwhile amending the R25.
That would just leave the slow-selling R75/ZT and the TF in production which would not have much appeal for the dealerships. Though if they'd been able to strike a deal to continue the new Tata Indica as an Austin at a great price, this may have been a good stop gap.
post #140 of 238 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 21:32

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSi View Post
NAC ....... Did it sell any TFs in China? .
I seem to remember Windy telling us that they didn't sell a single one in China - which makes the decision to kick Stadco in the teeth and move all the tooling and manufacture of the TF to China seem even more bizarre.

Quote:
Euro IV was about to take effect at that time (from the start of 2006), and MG Rover had already made advances towards achieving compliance - a new fuelling system for the K series (which was to feature a fly-by-wire throttle was nearing the end of development. I think we can take that as Gospel as that information came from Rincewind (Nic Fasci) who was working for MG Rover on homologation at the time.

As it was, the administrators applied for (and were granted) a three year derogation from Euro IV for cars already built to enable dealers to continue selling the remaining stocks.

I hadn't heard anything about any need for re-evaluation of crash status for the existing designs, and had NAC recommenced Longbridge production as soon as possible after acquiring the assets of MG Rover, there would only have been a few months break in manufacturing anyway. Once production had started in China, with the cars somewhat altered, it may well have meant that they would have needed to go through a UK/EU approval test which may well have put unjustifiable costs or modifications into the equation, but I would have thought a restart of production of the cars as they were at Longbridge would not have posed an issue, bearing in mind that (according to ts autos) MG Rover in administration were still building up unfinished cars until late 2005.