SAIC fined for not submitting its 2015 accounts - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 23:53

Car: CityRover
Would you prefer us to stop discussing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 18:20

Car: Other Manufacturer
doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkingdog View Post
Why is anyone bothered about this issue?
the companies DOOMED DOOMED i say DOOMED,
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 19:47
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn Scothern View Post
the companies DOOMED DOOMED i say DOOMED,
Thank you Pte Frazer, stand down...

gnu

post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 16:56
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Well MG now, is what it is. I have to say however I would feel more comfortable if it had be bought by an Indian company, there's a lot of good manufacturing coming from that part of the world.
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 08:35 Thread Starter
GSi

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkingdog View Post
Well MG now, is what it is. I have to say however I would feel more comfortable if it had be bought by an Indian company, there's a lot of good manufacturing coming from that part of the world.
I'm not sure the nationality of the buyer is the key factor, it's a mixed bag:
1) The London Taxi Company and Volvo are doing very well under Chinese parent Geely's ownership.
2) Ssangyong performed badly under SAIC's ownership but is doing well under current owner Mahindra & Mahindra of India.
3) Tata's ownership of JLR has been a big success but its Spanish bus subsidiary, Tata Hispano, acquired in two stages in 2005 and 2009 closed in 2013.
4) Maybe the closest comparison to MG Rover was Saab cars which had no new model pipeline and had fallen into administration. Now Chinese-owned and known as NEVS, it's selling no new cars at the moment in Europe and after an uncertain start, it is now employing 900 people in its Swedish base.
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 23-12-2016, 11:00

Well, they finally got their finger out on the 21st December.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...filing-history
post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 23-12-2016, 11:55 Thread Starter
GSi

Actually received on 14/12 so a week to process at Companies House.

Three interesting points in the accounts for MG Motor UK Ltd, Company number 05779958.

1. Statement on production ending:
page 4 "In June 2016 it was decided to stop vehicle assembly and in future to import finished vehicles (see note 21)
Note 21: "On 23 September 2016, assembly of vehicles from SKD kits ceased in the UK. In future, vehicles supplied by parent company in China for sale in UK will be complete vehicles.
An estimate of the financial impact of this event is unable to be provided at this time. The cost of decommissioning and income from the resulting scrap cannot be estimated with any degree of accuracy"
So, we now know that the decision was made in June. There is no note of its being a difficult decision or thanks to the ex-workforce as you may encounter in a western company.

2. Impairment charge of 407,616 made against the equipment for the MG6. ie the tooling for this vehicle has been written off reducing profits by nearly 0.5m.

3. Parts sales to SAIC ends
The sales of parts to group companies stopped in May 2015, suggesting that MG is no longer acting as a middle man to purchase parts for SAIC in Europe.

Last edited by GSi; 23-12-2016 at 15:38.
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 23-12-2016, 12:49 Thread Starter
GSi

Now onto the SMTC accounts, Company number 05437330. Three observations:

1. Staffing levels fall to 263 including contractors
"Average employee numbers including short-term contractor numbers reduced by 24 from 287 to 263. The reduction in numbers was caused by the difficulty in recruiting engineers with the right skill sets. The headcount reduction has been the major factor leading to a 5% decrease in administration costs in the year to 30,878,000"
Presumably retention has been an issue as well or staff levels would have remained flat?
This statement does nail the assertion once and for all that some have that SAIC employs 500 people. The statement confirms that employee numbers do include contractors.

2. SUV for Chinese Market
"SAIC Motor has identified that there are gaps in its portfolio for sports utility vehicles and multi-purpose vehicles which is required to be filled very quickly to gain the benefit of this being the fastest growth area for automotive vehicles in China. To this end, SMTC UK has been requested to lead the design and engineering of one of a family of these vehicles."

3. Engineering architecture
"One of the major projects SMTC worked on was a global co-operation project with other SAIC motor technical centres to develop an engineering architecture strategy. The objective being to engineer more than one vehicle from a platform which would result in savings from carry-over parts and achieving a reduced engineering development time. The first of these programmes was completed during 2015. Work also started on the next platform."
post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 23-12-2016, 18:04
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Overall positive news for SMTC, not so hot for MGM UK.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 23-12-2016, 22:29 Thread Starter
GSi

Finally onto the MG Sales Centre, company number 07416929, quotes are taken from the Director's Report section.

1. Sales have fallen by a quarter!
"Sales in the year decreased by 25% to 2,599,596 from 3,468,881 in previous year. However, the margin achieved on the reduced sales has improved from 5% to 6% in the current year. To achieve this improved margin, spend on advertising has increased with the result the overhead costs of the business have increased by 7% from 201,237 to 215,735. The loss in the year has increased to 56,300 (2014: 29,809)."

2. It will all be better when...
In a statement which will cause considerable mirth in some quarters, the company's sole director Hao Wang states "The director of MGSC remains confident that vehicle sales will improve once the number of models has increased and the brand has become better known."
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 24-12-2016, 08:14
Supporter

Garages
Personally I think the sales centre should drop the pretense of being a showroom and become purely a visitors centre. Longbridge is still something of a mecca, a visit to which usually encompasses popping into the Elephant House.

Instead of trying to peddle the current vehicles they should display historic MGs and use the centre to provide some relevance and background to their modern operations at Longbridge and context to their future direction. I know MG has the Piccadilly showroom to fulfil that role but it is small and exists purely to add prestige and satisfy marketing needs in China.
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 24-12-2016, 10:19

I can't see the point of a visitors centre either - that would make more sense at the dockside...see your new MG come in on the slow boat from China - how embarrassing.

In all likelihood I'd expect the bulk of the remaining site will be handed back to St Modwen in 2017. Some SMTC might remain until an alternative site is found for them in an area where they can recruit engineers as it seems they are struggling with that regard.

There is no link now between SAIC MG and the old MG Rover/Longbridge so there is nothing for a visitors centre. Most of the cars are wholly designed in China and 100% of them are built in China.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 27-12-2016, 17:22
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
I can't see the point of a visitors centre either - that would make more sense at the dockside...see your new MG come in on the slow boat from China - how embarrassing.

Quote:
In all likelihood I'd expect the bulk of the remaining site will be handed back to St Modwen in 2017. Some SMTC might remain until an alternative site is found for them in an area where they can recruit engineers as it seems they are struggling with that regard.
This is very possible.

Quote:
Most of the cars are wholly designed in China and 100% of them are built in China.
Not strictly true as the SMTC provides a fair amount of input into MG/Roewe vehicles and SAIC does manufacture (assemble) outside of China.
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 28-12-2016, 06:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post

This is very possible.

Not strictly true as the SMTC provides a fair amount of input into MG/Roewe vehicles and SAIC does manufacture (assemble) outside of China.
You're right there..I did think at the time whether I'd correct it but thought I'd see if anyone noticed :-)

Sadly though the only bit that really counts, production, has stopped in the UK.

A sad result for that giant we knew as Longbridge. But its days before bulldozing are not many one thinks.
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:35

Car: MG3 Style Lux
Yes, the accounts were late. Yes, the business model has changed.

MG Motor UK Ltd made an operating profit in 2015 - of 137k!
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 15:11
Woof Woof

Car: TF160 Disco 3.9 XR4i 4trak Yamaha XV535
Not a huge profit really.
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 18:01

Car: Rover 45
Mg

Better in profit than loss.

As sales grow so will the profits.

Note that small profit was for 2015. They will make a lot more profit with the GS. All the 6 ever produced was a loss.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 22:29

Car: Other Manufacturer
?

i don't know any one with a china M .G.