200 vi modification questions (raid induction kit) - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 13:34 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 200 vi
200 vi modification questions (raid induction kit)

Hey guys, would appreciate som e pearls of wisdom from the technical gurus here.

Ok Im going to get an induction kit from raid hp. Other forum users have said good things bout raid products. However i am stuck as to which is the better.

1. the raid carbon max kit

or

2. the raid maxflow kit.

Both seem similar but which is the best.

I also want to get my hands on the 52mm alloy throttle body. would it make life easier to get it installed as the same time as the induction kit, or as i'm in no rush to get it, have it installed at a later date. i.e what will work out cheaper in terms of installation costs from the garage.

Just one more question!

Whats the best backbox for the 200 vi (since i have read from other forum users that full exhaust systems dont give too much benefit)

Cheers guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 14:20

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
Can't really give any advive on which one as I've never used one, but there's no need to rush buying a TB. Also it's an easy job fitting an induction kit if you can at least hold a spanner. It's just a simple case of removing the existing airbox and attaching the feed.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 14:20 Thread Starter

ok thanks mate. So out of interest what mods you got on your Vi?

When having my induction kit fitted, I want it done properly. Is it a job that any decent garage can do or will it be worthwhile taking it to a place that suppplies and fits car mods, as i guess they will have much more experience of fitting car mods day in day out?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 23:59

TBH you could do it yourself, you don't need to be an expert. Honestly it really is simple.
We'll guide you along, so why not have a crack.
Basically all you need to do is remove the existing airbox which is held on by 2 bolts. There is also a resonator box underneath that you also remove. You can either remove the existiing air hose connected to the throttle body or use it as part of your system. You then fix your filter in a suitable place and then route the air feed to pick up cold air.

My Vi at the mo just has breathing mods, 52mm TB, ported manifold and downpipe, BMC induction, performance cat back exhaust. Soon to be added Superchips Icon.
The car is also cosmetically modded.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 00:24

Car: 200 BRM
I've been looking at getting the superchips icon unit. How good is it? What sort of gains could i expect? And is it expensive to get set-up? I Guess it needs a rr session?
Engine wise Ive got vvc, 56mm throttle body, enclosed induction (soon to be BMC kit), slightly ported, and polished cylinder head, cat-back twin exit 'zorst, piper cams exhaust cam (possibly full piper kit coming inc replacing vvc)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 15:58 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigalgar View Post
I've been looking at getting the superchips icon unit. How good is it? What sort of gains could i expect? And is it expensive to get set-up? I Guess it needs a rr session?
Engine wise Ive got vvc, 56mm throttle body, enclosed induction (soon to be BMC kit), slightly ported, and polished cylinder head, cat-back twin exit 'zorst, piper cams exhaust cam (possibly full piper kit coming inc replacing vvc)
You have the 56mm TB? How are you finding it because I have read from other forum members posts you actually dont gain any performance from the 56mm but you do for the 52mm. Do a search and you will find out what i mean, they explain it in great detail.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 16:11 Thread Starter

Red face

Ok ashy may just give it a crack!!! can you post a pic of your Vi, wouldnt mind checkin it out. Wana stick a bodykit on mine at some time. Something that compliments the rover's shape and doesn't alter it completely like some of the stupidly outrageous kits i've seen 4 the rover 200!!!

Even checked out some bodykits from abroad (just europe) they have some good ideas.

So what motors has your Vi beaten in a race, i av noticed your "bmw killer" !!!

B4 buying my Vi i did a lot of research into it and the 0-6- times and bhp on paper can beat a lot of cars out there, even by todays standard.

Rover kicks ass and lets let everyone out there know bout it. I'm fed up of golf gti's, saxos and the same boy racer cars thinkin they're it well until a vi beats them that is : )
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 18:18

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
A 200vi with about 160bhp should see off most cars on the road.

Ive had some great races in mine, kept up with a 180bhp uno turbo which is a tin can. Civic type R wont pull any noticeable ground between you and him until you hit 100 then they go past.

A decent Vi should do 0-60 in about 7 seconds with a decent amount of mods.

Im hoping mine will be near the 0-60 in 6 second mark once ive stripped some of the weight out and converted to solid cam.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-03-2007, 19:45

Car: Rover 200 Vi
litle while back i considered getting the fast road cams from piper cam but it ended up too much. but i did read that you didnt need so convert to solid cams.....i.e u could still keep the vvc mech but have uprated cams...i think thats right if i remem hmm not too sure...any help wld be awesome
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-03-2007, 21:44

Keep VVC cams and get an Emerald ECU.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-03-2007, 00:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy View Post
Keep VVC cams and get an Emerald ECU.
Not a bad idea but to make things easier probably be best to get a standard rover 200 solid cam loom with one plug and add wires into that. Otherwise wiring it up is a right pain as the standard 200vi loom doesnt match the emerald plug at all and its not a simple case of moving a few wires.

Ive just brought a solid cammed rover 200 loom to make the neccesary modifications to it to run wasted spark on an emerald and then solid cam conversion.

Give us a shout if you want any info on wiring looms, got some great websites with info on it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-03-2007, 00:44

Did you get the MD3K ECU? According to Emerald it's plug and play, no wirng modifications needed.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-03-2007, 00:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy View Post
Did you get the MD3K ECU? According to Emerald it's plug and play, no wirng modifications needed.
Yeah, Problem is emerald is one plug where as mems on VVC is two plug.

It was plug an play on my old 1.8 metro but not with the vvc. If you want the two plug to work with the emerald you have to move some red plug wires into the black plug. Loads of sites showing how to do it for mems3 but not the 143bhp mems engine.

It can be done but ultimatly you will be left with parts of the loom doing nothing where as if i use a differant loom altogether i will be able to modify it to suit my engine.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-03-2007, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markforrester View Post
Yeah, Problem is emerald is one plug where as mems on VVC is two plug.

It was plug an play on my old 1.8 metro but not with the vvc. If you want the two plug to work with the emerald you have to move some red plug wires into the black plug. Loads of sites showing how to do it for mems3 but not the 143bhp mems engine.

It can be done but ultimatly you will be left with parts of the loom doing nothing where as if i use a differant loom altogether i will be able to modify it to suit my engine.
So what you are saying is that you don't have the VVC version of the Emerald? But don't Emerald have different connectors that can be bought so that that the right one fits?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-03-2007, 07:59

emerald vvc ecu is exactly the same as the non-vvc one, it just has differant firmware installed on it.

They used to sell adaptors but this has stopped, when i last emailed them about fitting an emerald to a vvc they said they have a copy of what wiring modifications had to be done to the loom.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-03-2007, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by markforrester View Post
emerald vvc ecu is exactly the same as the non-vvc one, it just has differant firmware installed on it.

They used to sell adaptors but this has stopped, when i last emailed them about fitting an emerald to a vvc they said they have a copy of what wiring modifications had to be done to the loom.
That's what I mean, I know it's the same ECU, but there was a kit that you could buy for fitting into the VVC loom. They started making this version a while after bringing the MD3K out.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-03-2007, 16:01

Car: Rover 200Vi 217bhp. Honda CTR FN2 - VTEC YOOO!
come april time i will tell you all about emeralds and VVC's, my Vi is undergoing some work that im keeping very hush hush at the moment. I've had a real pain in back side with this debate on these emerald ecus. I know what they do, i know that they now have brilliant control over the VVC, but it is not as clear cut as i first thought..

Wait 4 more weeks and all will be revealed :-)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-03-2007, 16:26

Car: 200 Vi
Send a message via MSN to Xionz Send a message via Yahoo to Xionz
came accross this emerald ECU on eBay.. at 650 it looks like its the dogs droopys but is it really worth spending that much? I mean what are the gains this is going to give you... looks very good tho especially for a Vi or a T series Turbo

Clicky
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-03-2007, 23:41

The Emerald will do very little on it's own without modifications, but with head work and other engine mods it can make a difference.