2nd popping out after clutch change - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25
2nd popping out after clutch change

Some months ago, the clutch was replaced and since then, in some very specific situations the 2nd pops out.

I donīt know if it was a coincidence of not, but it never happened before the clutch change and started a couple of days after.

All the times it happened was in the same place under the same circunstances. Coasting downhill with no acceleration. It happens like 1 in 10/20 times. I donīt know if itīs a 2nd related problem of the fact i coast that downhill only in 2nd, but iīll try in other gears.

So far it didnīt happened elsewhere or in any other circunstances.

I talked with the shop who changed the clutch and they keep insisting itīs nothing related with the clutch. They changed one gearbox mount but it didnīt fix it. They keep tell me itīs the gearbox but i feel really strange as it had no issues at all before the clutch exchange.

Car is a 2001 25 TD and as far as i know linkage isnīt adjustable.

Do you have any idea?

Edit: I was on the phone with a friend of mine that told me that could be a misalignment of the linkage rod or something (sorry i donīt know the correct term in english). Something that should be really aligned when assembling it. But since in Haynes says "No adjustment of the gearchange linkage is possible", could still be that? I donīt know if they both are talking about the same thing.

Last edited by doublem; 12-04-2017 at 13:54.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 13-04-2017, 17:26
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
S

I was thinking along the same lines - maybe the linkage was bent in the clutch change process?

gnu
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 13-04-2017, 19:53

The linkage is not adjustable but they are prone to wear. It may be worth having a look underneath the vehicle to make sure there is not excessive play in any of the linkage or as above make sure it has not been bent or damaged in the process.
Good luck