MG-Rover.org Forums banner

8-pin clock on 4 wires?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  demin 
#1 · (Edited)
Connect 8-pin clock to 4-pin clock connector?

Hi to all.

I searched a forum for answer, but no luck... :(

I bought a second-hand digital clock (mine is broken), from Rover 25 2001 - this one is old version (doesn't know that :( ) with 8-pin connector (7 pins are actually in use), but mine (on Rover 25 2003) has new design clock with 4 pins. :(
How can I wire this "new" 8-pin clock on my 4-pin connector? Is it enough to do this wiring:

(4 PIN - 8 PIN)
Black - Black (Ground)
Purple - Purple (12 volt constant)
Green - Green/White (12 volt ignition)
Red/Black - Red/Black (Illumination)

and leave other pins free on the clock? Does it will work?
Please for help...

Regards,
Stole

See less See more
#2 ·
Bad news, I tried to wiring like I said in previous post, but it's not working. :( Well, it was very stupid from me, to buy something before checking does it fit! :( I paid it 20 euros (about 17.6 pounds)...

If anyone has some advice, suggestion or anything also, please for help?

#3 ·
Sorry for spaming, but I again searched forum, this time much detailed, and I found many, many threads on this subject, almost all concerning 4-pin clock wiring to 8-pin connector, but nothing about reverse procedure - 8-pin clock on 4-pin connector, except this one thread (like I saw, the same problem like mine): 200 Clocks.
I noticed that I have 8-pin clock with option to display radio information (doesn't know that earlier)... Anyway, I want only to make the clock working, that's enough.

In above thread technozen gave an answer for wiring 8-pin clock, just like I thought in my first post:
(4 PIN - 8 PIN)
Black - Black (Ground)
Purple - Purple (12 volt constant)
Green - Green/White (12 volt ignition)
Red/Black - Red/Black (Illumination)

But, last night I tried to wire at this way (I made pins at the other side of wires on 8-pin connector, which needs to be connected to 4-pin connector, all without soldering), and when I attached the clock in car (one by one pin, and so on all four), my car started to behave strangely when I connect last (fourth) pin - lights are turned on, ignition turned in to position 2 (even the key was not in lock). When I inserted key and started engine, I couldn't stop him anymore (even I turned key to switch off position and removed from lock).
Then I disconnected the clock, and engine turned off, lights also... Then everything became normal again.
All this time clock was dead - no display numbers, no light...

Where I'm wrong? Am I maybe need to disconnect a battery while wiring a clock?

#4 ·
Well, I was persistent and even without any help in this thread, finally wired 8-pin clock successfully! :)
At the end it turned out that all was like described in my previous post, but why it's not worked first time, I don't know (probably I was wrong somewhere while wiring), but when I wired second time (make pins better and do some isolation), clock finally starts to work! ;)
Stupid problem and to much work to be done, but I now have working clock and I'm very happy because of that.

Here is some pictures how I do a wiring (maybe helps somebody)...

New 8-pin connector:

Used wires on 8-pin connector and colours (click to image to see more detailed):

Wiring - I did not want to cut off the 4-pin connector, so I decided to wire it in some more elegant way, also without soldering - so I found that OBD-II pins (for J1962 connector) perfectly fits for 4-pin clock connector:

So I crimp them at the end of the 8-pin connector wires and then just connected to 4-pin connector:

And that's it:

After all this work, I found that illumination isn't working (bulb is gone), but I can't find the original bulb, so searched for alternatives and found some little bigger, but it's easily mounted anyway.
Here is the original one:

And compared to new one:

I don't know what is the type and label of new bulb (if somebody know, then can write it here), but it was very cheap (about 0.17 euro) and has similar characteristics like original one (12V, 40 mA):

That would be it!
Sorry for the bothering and spaming with this thread, I hope that at least can be helpful to someone.

Regards,
Stole

#9 ·
@to the top!

Hello! I got problem with my R25. My 8 pin clock is dead, so I bought a new one but with 4 pins. Could somebody tell me how can I fix it? I'm really stupid in car electrics so just write which color should I connect e.g white-green connect with white-blue. Thanks ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.